PDA

View Full Version : Might Stanley's Strategy be Good?

Electric_Monkey
2007-01-28, 01:07 PM
We all know that Stanley promotes the "most handsome and dashing" of his soldiers to be warlords, but might this actually make sense in game terms? What if there are no stats for strategic ability, because that's meant to come from the player? It could be the case that the most important attribute that a leader in the game could have is some kind of charisma-like inspirational quality. If Parson made the rules like that, he might be very worried right now.

Raistlin1040
2007-01-28, 01:28 PM
Yeah...no. Stanley's strategy isn't very good. Remember he thinks equiping infintry with spooky hand puppets is a good idea.

Electric_Monkey
2007-01-28, 01:57 PM
Hmm, I missed the bit about the spooky hand puppets. Where's that mentioned?

Raistlin1040
2007-01-28, 02:03 PM
Cast of caracters under wanda.

SteveMB
2007-01-28, 06:16 PM
Might Stanley's Strategy be Good?
Given that whatever he's been doing has gotten him from 11 cities down to 1, which he is defending against a 25:1 enemy advantage in forces, I'll place my bet on "no".

Hilary Moon Murphy
2007-01-28, 11:44 PM
It could be the case that the most important attribute that a leader in the game could have is some kind of charisma-like inspirational quality.

Wow, I never thought of that. I just thought that Stanley liked watching the pretty boys with rippling biceps. He doesn't seem to notice Wanda at all, and we all do, so I thought that maybe his tastes ran more to guys.

As for his strategy being good, nah. But I do like the idea that he is striving to find good leadership through charisma, especially since he does have some good ideas about not wanting a morale case, or a creature that does not have the ability to breathe air or speak language.

Hmm

Erk
2007-01-29, 01:31 AM
I think part of what we've seen from Erfworld indicates that while all units have points, they are not 100% dictated by their points... else Stanley could just pick the unit with the highest leadership. It seems that there is a non-point-based personality to every unit. He doesn't need to say "pick the best looking", anyway, since he can see charisma scores if they exist.

But I like the idea... it certainly makes sense in d&d :smallwink:

Maurog
2007-01-29, 05:32 AM
Maybe it's all because he's getting beat by one P.Ansom who happens to be good looking. So he draws the conclusion that good looks = good warlord.

Beleriphon
2007-01-29, 05:35 AM
Maybe it's all because he's getting beat by one P.Ansom who happens to be good looking. So he draws the conclusion that good looks = good warlord.

Or as Parson suggests, Stanley is just a giant tool.

MolotovH
2007-02-07, 03:05 AM
Actually, I believe he suggested that Stanley was a very short Tool... :tongue:

MinusInnocence
2007-02-07, 06:22 AM
Parson may actually be very charming. He seems frustrated, but that's understandable for anyone as creative as him but still unappreciated (but, in D&D terms, I suspect his Wisdom is low enough that he doesn't understand how people perceive him is his own fault).

He is earnest, though, and dedicated. Also, this is his dream come true: if the troops can see that, and see a perfect stranger throwing everything he has into defending their home, they will likely be very inspired. Parson is also funny, although he may not mean to be, and it counts for a lot.

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by his success at leading Stanley's forces; not just from a strategic standpoint but also in terms of bolstering morale. Well, I won't be surprised, I clearly see it coming. But everyone else will.

Indon
2007-02-07, 11:15 AM
Since most of Stanley's troops are uncroaked anyway, how important _is_ morale?

Erk
2007-02-09, 10:39 AM
morale could be very important. Having only uncroaked troops is a huge disadvantage when there are weapons like the arkenpliers out there. Presumably there are other problems to them, else Wanda would not have seen the need to observe the lack of living units in the army.