PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to steal control over a Golem? (3.5)

SinsI
2014-02-11, 05:46 PM
An Iron Golem is worth 150,000 gold.
So if you encounter one, it's a bit of a shame to break it down - it can easily be worth more than the whole dungeon loot.
Is there any way to get ownership/control over it (assuming its creator/current master is not available)?

Afgncaap5
2014-02-11, 05:59 PM
I don't have access to the issue of Dragon magazine that it's in, but the other day someone told me that one version of a feat called Wedded To History would let you do something like that. Gain control of mindless undead and constructs if their creator isn't present.

It also has the fun benefit of making you more or less immortal at level 1.

Again, this is all second hand, and I've not actually looked into it. For something a little more definite, I know that the Warforged domain will let you Rebuke, Command or Bolster constructs as an evil cleric does to undead.

Forrestfire
2014-02-11, 06:26 PM
Afgncaap is correct, the Master's Voice feat allows you do make a roll to command mindless undead or constructs if their real master isn't around. Wedded to History in in Dragon #354, iirc.

Grayson01
2014-02-11, 07:44 PM
I don't have access to the issue of Dragon magazine that it's in, but the other day someone told me that one version of a feat called Wedded To History would let you do something like that. Gain control of mindless undead and constructs if their creator isn't present.

It also has the fun benefit of making you more or less immortal at level 1.

Again, this is all second hand, and I've not actually looked into it. For something a little more definite, I know that the Warforged domain will let you Rebuke, Command or Bolster constructs as an evil cleric does to undead.

Where is this Warforged Domain, this sounds intresting?

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-11, 07:59 PM
You won't gain control, but if you awaken a construct like a golem, you will arguably free it of normal control. Other methods of granting sentience may or may not work as well.

Thurbane
2014-02-11, 08:04 PM
I might be misremembering, but I seem to recall a specific item or spell that does exactly this.

There is a chance I'm thinking of an earlier edition of D&D though...

Nettlekid
2014-02-11, 08:06 PM
I might be misremembering, but I seem to recall a specific item or spell that does exactly this.

There is a chance I'm thinking of an earlier edition of D&D though...

Quite right, in 3.0's Arms and Equipment Guide there's a Rod of Construct Control that does exactly this.

Kane0
2014-02-11, 08:12 PM
A construct version of Ooze puppet might also be viable.