PDA

View Full Version : Book 4 missing pages?

The Guardian
2014-02-11, 06:03 PM
Not sure where else to post this...

My wife got me the complete set of regular books for Christmas. I just got to Book 4 Don't Split the Party.

Book 3 ended on strip 484.

My copy of book 4 starts on strip 490. And I literally mean starts, there's the cover and immediately strip 490, no title pages, no ISBN / printing info, no preamble/foreword/etc. Seems like there should be at least 10 or so more pages in there.

Anyone else have this problem? Anything I can do about it?

Porthos
2014-02-11, 06:07 PM
It's a printing error. If your wife got them through Ookoodook, have her contact them and they should be able to get you a new copy.

ChristianSt
2014-02-11, 06:30 PM
You are missing the first 16* pages, which features Preface/Introduction, some commentary, some extra stuff and some normal comics. It does not contain a Foreward like the other compilations, but contains a dedication to Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.

I think best is to go to contact whomever it was who sold you this Book. If that doesn't work for whatever reason (though it would be a really crappy costumer service to sell a deficit product and not fixing that error), then you can try to contact Rich directly.

*Someone in another thread pointed out that this has something to do with the printing process (Imposition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imposition)).

The Guardian
2014-02-11, 08:27 PM
Upon further investigation, 490-500 actually repeat, so I guess the first repeat of them replaced the others. Does than mean someone else got two copies of the other pages? hehe.

Thanks, I'll get my wife to contact Ookoodook.

Miaow
2014-02-12, 12:58 PM
My copy of Don't Split the Party that I got from the kickstarter had the title page, preface, and the first few pages, and then all that was repeated, and it was missing the Celestia part before taking back up the story. Maybe you have my missing pages and I had yours. Since it was a KS reward, I sent Rich a message through that, and he sent me a replacement with all the pages in the proper place. I agree that your wife should contact the seller where she bought the book and see if they'll send a replacement.

malloyd
2014-02-12, 01:34 PM
Upon further investigation, 490-500 actually repeat, so I guess the first repeat of them replaced the others. Does than mean someone else got two copies of the other pages? hehe.

Maybe, if it didn't get caught by quality control. Having a run of 16 pages missing and some other 16 duplicated is the most common bindery error to slip through quality control. Having the same 16 pages, usually the first or last 16, repeated however many times necessary to make the page count is probably second. If you actually leave one out, or add one extra, the cover won't fit properly, which is easy to spot. If you bind one in at an angle, there's likely to be a gap between the spine and those pages, and they'll fall out, again easy to spot. Flipping one upside down would leave the page count right and so be hard to catch, but is mechanically unlikely in the first place, so fairly rare.