PDA

View Full Version : Monk Flurry question.

Indon
2007-01-28, 01:37 PM
Can Flurry be used in conjunction with TWF, with, say, a quarterstaff or two monk weapons? I read up on them and I didn't notice any comments on their interaction.

The combination strikes me as pretty cheesy if it is possible, but it might be interesting to play around with at least once.

Ramza00
2007-01-28, 01:47 PM
Yes but watch your to hit go to hell.

AtomicKitKat
2007-01-28, 02:06 PM
It's hardly "cheesy" until you get to like Monk 9(no more penalty on Flurry), or Monk 11(another bonus Flurry attack). Even then, you still have worse BAB than the regular fighting classes, and still sucking up the penalty(plus the Feat Sink) of TWF. If you multiclassed to Rogue though, you would suddenly find your campaign looking like this (http://www.galactanet.com/comic/367.htm)..

Ramza00
2007-01-28, 02:17 PM
Remember besides bad BAB, monks have more MAD thus less points they can contribute to strength. So even at lvl 11, your hit still stinks.

Thomas
2007-01-28, 05:25 PM
The penalty to hit balances TWF by default. You get X more attacks, but you do Y % less damage on all your attacks, on average.

Darkshade
2007-01-28, 09:01 PM
i do not believe that you can flurry and two weapon fight with all attacks being unarmed though. as anything you attack with regardless of if its your left leg or your right nutsack its considered your unarmed attack. I think you would need to either bust out 1 weapon or 2 weapons, One of my friends played an awesome monk/fighter/samurai/Master Samurai named Bill who went around wielding a katana in both hands and using kicks and elbows as his off hand weapons. and yes he was modeled a lot after kill bill

Aximili
2007-01-28, 09:18 PM
Indeed, the monk's description implies heavily that you cannot 2Wfight with flurry. But the FAQ clearly says you can.

JaronK
2007-01-28, 09:20 PM
The FAQ is quite clear on this... yes, you can flurry and TWF. You just can't use the offhand weapon as part of your flurry.

JaronK

Chris_Chandler
2007-01-28, 11:09 PM
The flurry and TWF are two separate events. The "extra" attack(s) of the flurry are separate from the "extra" attack(s) from TWF, and they both incur a cumulative penalty. You need to keep track of offhand attacks, as flurry attacks use main hand damage, and TWF fighting "extra" attacks are designated as off-hand.

Yes, you can flurry and TWF at the same time gaining both sets of extra attacks (even at 1st level making three attacks) but those attacks would have the appropriate penalties - with the most optimized options (the TWF feat chain), a 20th level monk could flurry, and make offhand attacks for a total of 8 attacks, and the flurry attacks would no longer be penalized (though the 3 offhand attacks still have the -2 penalty). The question is, though, are you willing to dedicate nearly half your feats for just making a crazy number of attacks during a full attack? IME, full attacks are less than common, especially with mobile combatants.

Darkshade
2007-01-28, 11:32 PM
well if you plan on getting the epic Pounce feat at 21st level then its awesome

Darrin
2007-01-29, 12:07 AM
well if you plan on getting the epic Pounce feat at 21st level then its awesome

I'm not sure you'd need to be epic to pounce. Easier to just take a level of barbarian, there's a feat called Snow Tiger Charge or something in one of the 3.0 FR books, lets you make a full attack at the end of a charge so long as you only use light weapons. Catfolk Pounce, Lion's Charge, or some ToB maneuvers might also work.

Aximili
2007-01-29, 12:09 AM
Is there any possible way to stack monk levels for Sneak/sudden/whatever damage?

AtomicKitKat
2007-01-29, 01:58 AM
Is there any possible way to stack monk levels for Sneak/sudden/whatever damage?

Ascetic Rogue from Complete Adventurer, probably.

Ramza00
2007-01-29, 02:01 AM
Ascetic Rogue doesn't progress flurry, but does unarmed damage with rogue levels, doesn't stack sneak attack, but you get monk unarmed strike during those rogue levels..

There is also a feat in the new complete scoundrel that allows you to stack ki on the monk side, and unarmed damage on the ninja side.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-01-29, 05:57 AM
I think there was a Dervish build that got, like, 16 attacks per full attack, but at an attack bonus so far in the toilet that it's in the Ocean, halfway round the world.

Person_Man
2007-01-29, 10:33 AM
A Monk/Shou Disciple/Dervish or Tempest is nifty. However, all of your feats will be used for TWF and semi-useless PrC requirements, and the cool combo move synergy won't kick in until high levels.

If your main goal is to deal high melee damage, you're much better off going with a standard mounted build, Psychic Warrior build, or Leap Attack/Shock Trooper combo.

If you want to play a Monk, you're probably better off picking up Monk-ish feats, such as Touch of Golden Ice, Freezing the Lifeblood, Preasure Point Strike, Snap Kick, etc.

Indon
2007-01-29, 10:40 AM
Well, I must say I feel much better about making this character now.

For some time now, I've wanted to make a monk who actually could use a quarterstaff as a viable weapon. Now I'm thinking something like high-dex, good strength, not much wisdom (I might even pick up an armor proficiency, to hell with the speed bonus) and pick up both TWF and a couple power attack feats. Get into grapples and make full attacks with my light weapons (unarmed strike, double-weapon quarterstaff, you can still attack with a light weapon as an attack action in a grapple, right?), or make quarterstaff power attacks, things like that.

There's much to contemplate with this character.

Roderick_BR
2007-01-29, 11:28 AM
My friend said he could make a Monk with 14 hits using some special weapons and special feats, plus flurring and TWF in 3.0... I think some changes in the 3.5 reduces it a bit :p

Darkshade
2007-01-29, 10:40 PM
first of all the Dervish Tempest dual wields scimitars while dervish dancing for 8 attacks a round with NO penalties and once per day does do 16 attacks, with NO penalties, secondly a monk wearing armor loses his AC bonus, enhanced move, and flurry of blows ability.
PHB 3.5 pg 40 under weapon and armor proficiencies for the Monk.

Indon
2007-01-29, 10:47 PM
first of all the Dervish Tempest dual wields scimitars while dervish dancing for 8 attacks a round with NO penalties and once per day does do 16 attacks, with NO penalties, secondly a monk wearing armor loses his AC bonus, enhanced move, and flurry of blows ability.
PHB 3.5 pg 40 under weapon and armor proficiencies for the Monk.

Thanks for the helpful advice regarding armored monks.