PDA

View Full Version : Campaign idea (4e)

Regis_is_a_bro
2014-02-11, 08:57 PM
Hi Playground,
So my friend and I are playing a campaign where I DM and I give his character some NPC's so he has a "group." Starting point is level 6.

Question: Anybody got any good Campaign/adventure ideas?

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

NecroRebel
2014-02-11, 10:19 PM
Well, first, get some more people... D&D isn't nearly as fun with two people as it is with four to seven or so (more than 6 players gets unwieldy to DM and should probably be split into 2 groups).

You might want to read the Giant's Villain Workshop (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/rTKEivnsYuZrh94H1Sn.html) article, found via that link or via the "Gaming" tag on the left side of the site. Knowing what your villain does can help figure out how the campaign will go. On the other hand, you might go the other way and build your villain to fit the story you want to tell, but either way the techniques described therein can be very useful.

Oh, and only make your campaign in broad strokes. If you plot things too tightly, you'll either have to abandon most of your ideas when your players do something you didn't expect, which they'll do practically immediately, or you'll have to force the players into the plotted lines unfairly, which is a practice called railroading and is very much not fun for players. How much preparation and preplanning is appropriate varies from DM to DM - some can make amazing games up on the fly, but most can't. Practice will hopefully teach you what's right for you, but you should at least occasionally ask your players what they are and aren't enjoying about the game so you know what you're doing wrong.

Now, a more specific idea:

The player characters are members of groups that the new regime finds undesirable, and they must flee into uncharted wilderness or die. Their race, their religion, whatever you want, is entirely marked for death. Protecting other members of their group or groups as they too flee, eventually finding and securing a new home for them, and later still fighting off attackers from the original homeland can make up a whole campaign.