PDA

View Full Version : City of Progress: Campaign Journal

Nibbens
2014-02-11, 09:03 PM
The Run Down:
After a long hiatus of not playing, my players were starting to get that itch. After I managed to get another job (one that actually allowed me to have a life) I decided to run one for them. (We game Pathfinder, by the way).
These guys I will be DMing for have been gaming since they were twelve and thirteen, and while I don't want to give away their ages, between the whole group we have over 100 combined years of experience in gaming. So, long story short, these guys have seen a lot at the table and have done a lot as well (just ask me about their Tomb of Horrors experience). So, I had quite the task ahead of me. I wanted to make this story memorable and different for them, so I started with a simple question.
What have you always wanted to see/do in a D&D game that you never got to experience?
I could almost laugh as the answers I received were all strangely similar.
1. High level gameplay as a campaign.
2. Clockwork/steampunk setting with mechanical shenanigans available to players.
3. Monsters that can finally challenge them.
3a. Perhaps the most shocking was the request for a surprise Tarasque.
Long story short, I was able to design a game that incorporated these things. This story would be based in a Metropolis known as Rab's Progress. For the write up I gave my players, click below:
Rab’s Progress is a city run by Duke Damorne. Over the last 20 years the city has grown massively as it became the center of commerce in the area. Now sprawling to 15 miles across, the walls encircling the city have been torn down and relocated multiple times as the area grew, making natural dividing lines and commerce routes throughout it where the old walls used to be. The innermost five mile stretch of the city (which contains the Duke’s Manor) is almost completely beautiful alloy work. Arches and columns throughout the center are polished bronze and copper and most buildings are covered in decorative metal-workings. Even the thieves say it’s a sight to behold, and poets have written poems about the beauty of sunsets over the inner-city.
Perhaps the most interesting facet of the city are the golems seen throughout Rab’s Progress. The city guard enjoys the protection varying golems whenever they are out making rounds. Several police districts throughout the city are paid well and believe they have a pretty tight crackdown on crime.

And what city wouldn't be complete without it's ruler? I gave them this write up as a description.
Duke Rabbious Damorne is a mastermind of economics. During the city’s early stage, the duke dumped his accounts and spared no expenses in getting the greatest minds to set up shop and live in his city. Each time he did this, the influx of patrons (and gold) filled his coffers exponentially than the times before.
In the early years of Rab’s Progress, he was seen as greedy and even nearly lost control of his city due to tax hikes. However, he soon learned his lesson and found other ways keep up the prosperity of the city. Taxes are fairly low in the city, but people seem to complain regardless. If there were no taxes at all, they’d complain about the buildings… silly people.
Calling Duke Damorne “greedy” might be fair, and even he, on occasion, will attest to this. Others would call him out on Vanity or Pride, but never to his face. The Duke has weathered these comments well and has a “usual response” to those who make the mistake of mentioning it in his presence. He asks those who don’t like it to go live elsewhere away from what he has created. He then offers to pay for these individuals and their families to live anywhere of their choice. They often close their mouths and go back to their shiningly beautiful homes in the inner city proper after such a response.

This game is still in the building process and the first game is slated for March 1st. My players are hard at work finalizing their characters, and so far I've collected:
A Verdant Bloodline Sorcerer - strangely in contrast with the "steampunk/clockwork" themes.
A Siege Mage with a Cannon-esque Golem to go ka-blewey on the enemies.
A Paladian riding a triceratops for his mount.
There are three others that are works in progress and have not yet focused on a particular path.
I will update when the date comes closer and my players finalize their characters and backstories. More to come and soon!

Click here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334673) for the first gaming session of this campaign.