PDA

View Full Version : Build Help

KnotKnormal
2014-02-11, 11:38 PM
starting lvl 10, 30 point buy, barbarian build.

don't really know where to go with this. I've never built a barbarian and i could use some help, first with how to start the build and also with classes to mutli-class into or prestige classes.

If possible i would like this character to be unarmed, I want him to punch things to death, then continue punching.
I would prefer to remain non magical.
Only non-setting specific books are available, no unearthed arcana, or dragon magazine either.

eggynack
2014-02-11, 11:47 PM
Cutting off UA gets rid of a couple of the better ACF's, which are wolf totem and whirling frenzy. Fortunately, there're some reasonable alternative options. You've obviously gotta start with spirit lion totem (CC, 46) for pounce, and without wolf totem, trap sense can be freely traded for trapkiller (Dungeon, 8), which is sweet. If you want to stay in barbarian more than a few levels, streetfighter (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) is an absolute must, granting actual incentives to stay in class. If you want out fast, which is probably a better move, you should probably dip into a few classes, like fighter or warblade. While you said you want to stay non-magical, one solid option that must be considered is champion of gwynharwyf (BoED, 56), which adds decent casting and decent abilities. That's a pretty decent start, I think.

Edit: Missed the unarmed thing. In that case, you're probably going to want some levels in fist of the forest (CC, 80), and/or some levels in bear warrior (CW, 16).

KnotKnormal
2014-02-12, 12:28 AM
Cutting off UA gets rid of a couple of the better ACF's, which are wolf totem and whirling frenzy. Fortunately, there're some reasonable alternative options. You've obviously gotta start with spirit lion totem (CC, 46) for pounce, and without wolf totem, trap sense can be freely traded for trapkiller (Dungeon, 8), which is sweet. If you want to stay in barbarian more than a few levels, streetfighter (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) is an absolute must, granting actual incentives to stay in class. If you want out fast, which is probably a better move, you should probably dip into a few classes, like fighter or warblade. While you said you want to stay non-magical, one solid option that must be considered is champion of gwynharwyf (BoED, 56), which adds decent casting and decent abilities. That's a pretty decent start, I think.

Edit: Missed the unarmed thing. In that case, you're probably going to want some levels in fist of the forest (CC, 80), and/or some levels in bear warrior (CW, 16).

I really want to do both Fist of the Forest and Bear Warrior but to do it effectively i would have to be human so i could take Fist of the Forest at 5, then Bear Warrior will start at 8 and continue from there.

Does this seem like a good idea?

Also does it seem weird to have the lion totem and bear form?

eggynack
2014-02-12, 12:34 AM
I really want to do both Fist of the Forest and Bear Warrior but to do it effectively i would have to be human so i could take Fist of the Forest at 5, then Bear Warrior will start at 8 and continue from there.

It seems alright. You could always dip into fighter instead, maybe after three levels of barbarian such that you can get trapkiller, for it is the coolest ACF, if not the best one. You don't really get all that much by sticking around in barbarian. That'd free up your racial choices a bit, if you so desire.

It's probably fine. A fellow can always have multiple interests, I figure.

Diovid
2014-02-12, 03:12 AM

You could take Bear Totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bearTotemClassFeatures ) instead of Spiritual Lion Totem.

In addition, see if your DM allows the Barbarian's City-Brawler variant (Dragon Magazine #349).

Nevermind, missed the book restrictions.

Krazzman
2014-02-12, 03:25 AM
Decisive Strike Monk (Dungeonscape i believe) might be good for a 1 or 2 level dip. Then adding Superior Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack as well as Versatile Unarmed Strike (or how the feat is called that let's your fist count as P/S/B). But only if you don't want to go Spirit Lion Totem.

Else add Totemist into Totem Rager into Bear Warrior into Warshaper.

Totemist gives you "unarmed" attack capabilities in the form of Claws/Tails/Bites/Spits/Spikes and so on.