PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Any way to form a hive mind using people?

HaikenEdge
2014-02-12, 01:10 AM
I'm kind of curious whether a character with Thrallherd or Leadership has any way of turning their followers or believers into a hive mind, that is to say, to link all the minds of all the believers or followers together so they can act, react and think as one?

I get that there are Hivemind rules in BoVD, but those are for vermin and certain animals; I'm curious as to there are ways for it to be applied to more human-like characters.

Red Fel
2014-02-12, 08:23 AM
Well, Mindlink is the cheap method; instantaneous telepathy among participants. Metaconcert is another. There is, as I recall, a common tactic of using Thrallherd + Psionic cohort + Psionic followers + Metaconcert to basically juice yourself psionically.

In any event, that's the basic method. Since conversation is a free action, and they're telepathically connected and acting in Metaconcert, I would argue that this allows them instantaneous communication within radius at any time, even on one another's turns.

EDIT: As an aside, since both Mindlink and Metaconcert are Telepath powers, this segues perfectly into the Thrallherd class.

Segev
2014-02-12, 08:28 AM
Not sure if this is feasible under the RAW, but I believe Savage Species has a template called "Symbiotic Creature" that lets you combine two creatures into one. Combine your followers with Cranium Rats...

I am pretty sure Tauric Creature (Cranium Rat/humanoid) is not viable because Cranium Rats are too small, though.

This PrC (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925a) doesn't exactly do "hive mind," but might be helpful towards achieving a similar end/feel. Especially if you're up for adapting it to work differently.

Fax Celestis
2014-02-12, 08:42 AM
Untapped Potential has the Society Mind, and they reused the concept for the Tactician and Vitalist in Psionics Unleashed.

Rubik
2014-02-12, 08:49 AM
Go dvati, Shapechange into an ooze with the split ability, then slash yourself up. Once Shapechange wears off, all of your bodies should be linked together via the soul. Combine with society mind.

HaikenEdge
2014-02-12, 09:42 AM
While all very clever suggestions, those were all things I've considered, but weren't what I was looking for. I am in fact looking for a way to turn a group of human-like creatures into an actual hive, with the benefits of a hive (+1 to attack rolls and AC when attacking, instantaneous awareness of everything any one member experiences, etc, etc), and while a lot of what is being suggested does an aspect of being a hive, I'm looking for a way to actually be a hive, so if anybody has suggestions on how to do that...

Rubik
2014-02-14, 11:40 AM
Either use illithid savant to eat the brain of a creature with a hive mind, combine yourself with such a creature (say, via Fusion/Astral Seed), grant yourself the Alter Shape ability of a hagunemnon in some fashion, or otherwise steal the hive mind ability from another creature in such a way as to also be able to combine with certain oozes' split ability. Once you split yourself into several pieces, they should be hiveminded together.

Also, dvati.

Segev
2014-02-14, 11:47 AM
While all very clever suggestions, those were all things I've considered, but weren't what I was looking for. I am in fact looking for a way to turn a group of human-like creatures into an actual hive, with the benefits of a hive (+1 to attack rolls and AC when attacking, instantaneous awareness of everything any one member experiences, etc, etc), and while a lot of what is being suggested does an aspect of being a hive, I'm looking for a way to actually be a hive, so if anybody has suggestions on how to do that...

I think Dark Speech MIGHT be able to do something like this. I also seem to recall a spell or something that did it, but can't recall where nor what it was called. (Which probably means it's not in Core nor Spell Compendium.)

Still...

Metaconcert, assuming the gestalt entity is a separate being, which then uses Share Senses on each of its members and Mindlink with each of its members. Its job is to inform each member of what the others are experiencing, constantly.

The +1 to hit and the can't-be-flanked will require additional effects, I'm afraid.

Magesmiley
2014-02-14, 12:08 PM
I can't think of a way in the 3.5 rules offhand.

If you're up to some conversion work, I'd suggest taking a good look at the hivebrood. They appeared in the Mystara Monstrous Compendium for 2nd edition and the Creature Catalogue for BECMI. They kind of sound like what you are looking for.

Drachasor
2014-02-14, 12:33 PM
Hmm, Telepathic Bond should let everyone easily give bonuses on a number of skill checks via aid another. So you can get arbitrarily high knowledge checks for instance. My initial thinking would be to look for class abilities that let you give someone a bonus to a check or the like but don't specify a distance.

Rubik
2014-02-14, 12:43 PM
I believe Savage Species notes a number of ways to change one's race, including adding templates and so on. IIRC, there's a symbiote template that allows you to gestalt one creature with another creature for a flat LA (+2? I think?), so combine SS's suggestion with that particular template, and combine yourself with a hiveminded creature. (Combine it in turn with the ooze's split ability, as noted a few times above.)

Drachasor
2014-02-14, 12:48 PM
Hmm, Rings of Communication work within 1 mile. You have a team of Bards who sing through them and everyone on the network within a mile gets the benefit.

Hmm, Whispering Sand is a Druid/Wizard spell that works similarly. It's 3rd level, one target per caster level but unlimited distance. If you can get it on a Bard then with a large enough bard network this could effectively allow the benefit anywhere on the same plane.

Edit: IF a DM rules that telepathic communication is good enough for Bardic song to go through though, then you are set. Might want to get bards that never get tired though so you can have the bonuses go on forever -- there are ways to do this.

Edit2: So far just looks like Inspire Courage works, though you might be able to use Ring Gates for selected parties to allow more options.

Zaq
2014-02-14, 12:50 PM
Would any shenanigans make the Mob template applicable for hivemindization?

lunar2
2014-02-14, 01:10 PM
there is a spell in book of exalted deeds that turns creatures into axiomatic creatures. axiomatic creatures have the actual hive mind special quality, iirc with a range of 1 mile. the only issue is you have to, iirc, be an archon to cast the spell.