PDA

View Full Version : Character Critique/Help

Were-Sandwich
2007-01-28, 02:26 PM
Im about to start a game, and need my character crititquing.

Backstory: He was born to a slave of an orc tribe, but seperated from his mother at brith, as was customary with slave children. He never had a name, but was only identified by who owned him. One day, there was an accident, and he was blamed. As a punishment, he had his eyes put out, and was left in the wilderness to die. However, as luck would have it, he was found by a wandering monk, who took him in and took him back to his monastary. As he didn't have a name, they named him Nemo.

He trained with them in their Way, and eventually, through channeling his Ki, willpower and sheer bloody mindedness, he managed to regain his sight. He can see just as well as a sighted person, but he does have trouble with people in shadows (Murky Eyed Flaw) THe campaign starts with us in a cell with selective amnesia, so I don't have more than that

Nemo
Human Swordsage 1
Str 10, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Adaptive Style, Desert Wind Dodge, Weapon Focus (Desert Wind)
Maneuvers: Yet to be decided, but I've swapped Stone Dragon for Devoted Spirit, with DM permission.

I want to go for a mobile, dance-like, acrobatic style, so I'm focusing on Desert Wind, but I'm definetly taking Martial Spirit stance, to avoid dying.

So, thoughts?

Thiel
2007-01-28, 02:33 PM
Wind Stride seems to fit the concept quite nicely.

Were-Sandwich
2007-01-28, 02:36 PM
Thing is, I haven't got the feats to go TWF (although it does go well with swordsage, but better with Warblade. Stormguard Warrior ftw), and there are no Finesseable two handed weapons I don't have to blow a feat on, and Im not proficient with sheilds, meaning I've got an empty hand.

Count Chumleigh
2007-01-28, 02:47 PM
Wait, he had his eyes put out, yet regained his eyesight through channeling his ki and "sheer bloody mindedness?" Sheer bloody-mindedness can do a lot, I'll grant, but regrowing eyes. Maybe you and I read "had his eyes put out" differently, but if I were you just say he was the recipient of a poorly-cast regeneration or remove blindness; either of those is more believable.
That quipping aside, I do tip my hat to you for not making another damn blind swordsman. That takes restraint and shows some horse-sense. I wish I could give you some mechanical advice, but my copy of Tome of Battle is at home and I'm not familiar enough with those rules to spout them off the top of my head.

Cheers,
--Count Chumleigh

Were-Sandwich
2007-01-28, 03:02 PM
Never said he regrew his eyes. He's just so damn stubborn he can see without them. How? Who knows.

Count Chumleigh
2007-01-28, 03:26 PM
Oh.
Oh, my.
You just earned seventeen cool points by my reckoning. And I'm so sigging that.

Cheers,
--Count Chumleigh

Frosty Flake
2007-01-28, 08:19 PM
I don't have my copy of ToB either, but I would suggest building up to what I think is a diamond mind stance, where you get blindsense and a bonus to spot? That would seem really characterful. Swordsages start with 6 menouvers, right? so you have some room to spread out... maybe you could drop a feat and start with Einhander instead, since your using a single one-handed weapon? possible +2 defence can be handy and the feat uses tumble, which you'll most likely be taking anyways? Oh, and kudos on dropping Stone Dragon... I can think of too many times when my characters weren't in contact with the ground!

Parlik
2007-01-28, 09:09 PM
Hmm would suggest maybe lowering the Dex to 16, does allow you to get a Con of 14 and Str of 12 instead, the low carrying capabilites with Str 10 can be a pain especially as a warrior type.

Were-Sandwich
2007-01-29, 11:31 AM
Ok, lots of responses

^^^W00t, sig-itude.

^^I was thinking of Hearing the Air, yes, seeing as we're in the underdark and all. Unfortunately, Its a 5th level stance. And I'm not too keen on Einhander. Besides the fact you can't get it at 1st it seems a bit...crap.

^Hmmm. Maybe.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-01, 01:39 PM
err..bump.

Anyway, I had a thought, would I be better off switching my feats around and going TWF (to take advantage of all the things that depend on hitting like Burning Blade and its ilk, and Martial Spirit and co) or going Spring Attack, for style and to use Desert Wind Dodge?