PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Pounce

shay7815
2014-02-12, 06:50 AM
Hey me and my group all new to the game and we had issues with the special attack Pounce. Lets take leopard for example , at the monstar manual I its says
Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d6+3) and 2 claws +1 melee (1d3+1)
Now we dont understand how many hits will he have when he pounce.
Will it be a normal charge with full attack or we need to add 2 more Rake attacks to the full attack?

HammeredWharf
2014-02-12, 06:56 AM
Pounce

When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack—including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability.

So yes, you can rake whenever you pounce.

shay7815
2014-02-12, 07:37 AM
So just to clarify, if i pounce my attacks will be :
Bite +6 melee (1d6+3) and 2 claws +1 melee (1d3+1) and 2 rake +?? melee ( 1d3+1) ?

Khedrac
2014-02-12, 07:44 AM
I actually disagree with the above - and some pounce entries are worded differently to the MM standard.

The different ones explicitly state that the creature gets rake attacks on a charge.

The normal text can be read in two ways - it is ambiguous (whatever people may claim the English states, it is ambiguous).
The first way is the same as the different wording.
The other is that it gets to use rake attacks on a charge if it qualifies for them. Since the normal way of qualifying is to make a successful grapple following a successful bite attack, then by this reading the leopard only gets the rake attacks if the bite hits and grapples (at which point the claws take the -4 penalty for using natural weapons in a grapple - something rakes are specifically exempt from).

I am away from books right now so I can't find the two wordings and give examples of creatures with them.
Anyway, as a DM I tend to use the second interpretation, as that seems to me to be the more correct reading of the English.

Gwendol
2014-02-12, 08:39 AM
No. You can rake on a pounce attack after a charge. It says so in the relevant entry:

Pounce (Ex)
If a leopard charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

In addition, it can rake (after establishing a hold) when using its improved grab ability to start a grapple.