PDA

View Full Version : Tell me if i'm wrong. (3,5E)

Kerilstrasz
2014-02-12, 09:04 AM
I tell you the steps, you tell me if and where i'm wrong.

During a combat i m about to lose..
1) I cast invisibility on myself and run the rest of my speed
2) While invisible i cast rope trick on the rope i'm holding(which is also invisible because i am and i'm holding it.)
3) I climb the invisible rope into the Xtradimensional space and get the rope inside.

Now.. if the creatures i'm fighting don't have a way to see invisible creatures/objects or cast detect magic/arcane sight etc, im safe for the duration of the rope trick,right?

I want to use this "trick" in situations that i'm forced to fight in a room that i can't (at least for the moment) get out. So i can hide and rest or prepare spells or even just wait until the enemies get away.

Amphetryon
2014-02-12, 09:06 AM
I tell you the steps, you tell me if and where i'm wrong.

During a combat i m about to lose..
1) I cast invisibility on myself and run the rest of my speed
2) While invisible i cast rope trick on the rope i'm holding(which is also invisible because i am and i'm holding it.)
3) I climb the invisible rope into the Xtradimensional space and get the rope inside.

Now.. if the creatures i'm fighting don't have a way to see invisible creatures/objects or cast detect magic/arcane sight etc, im safe for the duration of the rope trick,right?

I want to use this "trick" in situations that i'm forced to fight in a room that i can't (at least for the moment) get out. So i can hide and rest or prepare spells or even just wait until the enemies get away.

Works for as long as the portion I highlighted is true. . . which is highly variable because reinforcements may be called.

weckar
2014-02-12, 09:12 AM
In rules terms it checks out, barring any dispelling of the invisibility before you do the rope trick. I could only see it used practically in solo games, though.

Callin
2014-02-12, 09:17 AM
They could use spellcraft (If a caster) to know what spell you are casting and then know a general location from verbal components (if it has them?). Then they can track you down to a smaller area. Then use a dog with scent to narrow it down more. So im sure if all of that happens they can get it down to 10ft or so. Then they can start trying to find ways in or just wait you out.

But all of that depends on what skills and stuff the DM has given the group.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-02-12, 10:34 AM
Rope Trick has a Verbal component. That means you need to speak in a loud, clear voice the incantation. So, at the very least, your opponent will know you are still in the room as of the casting of Rope Trick. Unless he does well on his Listen check (the exact mechanics I'm not entirely sure about), he can pinpoint your square. If he can do that and act before you climb up, its possible he finds you and hits you before you disappear from the material into the pocket dimension. Since you can cast it on a rope 5 feet long, you should be able to Trick and climb in the same round, so that would require a Readied Action to shoot at any stray sound. So it really depends on your DM and your opponent at that point.

Diarmuid
2014-02-12, 10:39 AM
I could see an argument that after you cast the Rope Trick, the rope is no longer truly "in your possession" and wouldnt be invisible anymore.

If you were to be invisible and start climbing a ladder, the ladder doesnt suddenly become invisible.

Magesmiley
2014-02-12, 12:19 PM
The other weakness that I see also centers around the verbal component of rope trick. If there is someone within listening range, they could potentially identify what was cast with a Spellcraft check (albeit at a penalty as they can only observe one of the three components).

Togo
2014-02-12, 12:28 PM
Spot check to locate a moving invisible target is DC 20. Most creatures don't need special abilities to locate an invisible creature, although they'll still get a miss chance to attack you.