PDA

View Full Version : 3.P Tristalt Build, need a suggestion

Jötunn
2014-02-12, 09:12 AM
I'm currently building a Level 7 Tristalt character which is a Swashbuckler//Hungry Ghost Monk6/Shadowdancer1//Dual-Cursed Oracle, but I'm not really feeling the Oracle. It's a little bit MAD, even with Kung Fu Genius in the mix.

This is my build as it stands: Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=795653)

What would you guys do with/in place of the Oracle?

Relevant bits of the Big 16:

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
Pathfinder, though I am willing to transfer some 3.5 classes if you want.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
You're playing assassins, so at least one part of the tristalt should reflect that. No psionics or tome of battle.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
Templates are fine, but they cost twice the CR increase in levels and no LA buyoff. Also, you're going to a school for heroes, so no obviously evil templates, such as Vampires or Half-Fiends.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
Pick one of the allotments for your ability scores. Hp is max at first level and half after that.
18, 18, 12, 10, 10, 8
16, 16, 16, 12, 12, 10
14, 14, 14, 14, 12, 12

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?[/B]
No penalties for multi-classing, though you do only get one favored class.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
This is a Gestalt game, where you take the best of each and overlapping class features cancel each other out. The following alternate play styles apply.
Called Shots (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/called-shots)
Armor As Damage Reduction (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/armor-as-damage-reduction)
Words of Power (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/words-of-power)
If there too many dislikes about Armor as Damage Reduction or Words of Power, I will change them.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
There are extended background rules below.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
Plenty of roleplaying and I will often run combat in a more roleplaying style, with far less focus on maps or rules.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
Any official Paizo is okay and I will transfer most 3.5 stuff for you. The transfer will most likely include a powerup. Feel free to ask for homebrew, but I will most likely say no. The new Advanced Classes playtest is fair game.
I'll say it again in case you didn't catch it the first time. No Psionics no Tome of Battle.
[/SPOILER]

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-12, 10:41 AM
Factotum is always useful, or Beguiler in PH2 if you want spellcasting with a lot of tricks and a lot of skill points.

Jötunn
2014-02-12, 11:12 AM
Hmmm... Those classes still don't quite fit. I've decided I quite like the flavor and utility of the curses and revelations but don't really feel the need for spells. I've actually requested my DM to let me swap them out for something, but don't know what.

Tome of Battle is banned, so not that. Other spells etc. don't really fit... Although maybe sorcerer casting, but that might be too much.

Maybe swap oracle out for warlock and try to get same/similar utility, or ask to replace the spell casting with warlock invocations at preferably a faster rate.

I should mention, my theme is very much based around the monk wielding an exotic blade and fighting unarmoured, with obvious supernatural elements.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-12, 01:07 PM
See if you can replace the Oracle spellcasting with Archivist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) spellcasting, which is Int-based. Consider limiting the non-Cleric spells available to ones that fit the curses and revelations theme.

Draz74
2014-02-12, 02:00 PM
Hmmm... Those classes still don't quite fit. I've decided I quite like the flavor and utility of the curses and revelations but don't really feel the need for spells. I've actually requested my DM to let me swap them out for something, but don't know what.

Seer Psion?