PDA

View Full Version : [Dungeon World] Atlan Dur

Nislen
2014-02-12, 09:21 AM
OOC Thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330862

Atlan Dur - Prologue

You awake as the dawn sun brightens the sky. Today will be the sixth day since you and your new companions set out to find the Scroll of Atlan Dur. As the sun rises, you all can see through the trees a clearing with some old ruins, and you believe this is the place that Lord Benneron described.

On the way, you faced a pack of wolves your second night, and eluded some bandits just yesterday, so you have had time to see your companions in battle. You have some impression now for each of your companions ((bonds)).

You are only with these people because Lord Benneron had summoned each of you from your own land, whether far or near. He informed you that he was a member of an ancient secret society, the Guardians of Atlan Dur. He fills you in on some of the history while you are there. Atlan Dur was an ancient kingdom, spanning nearly the entire land as you know it. It was ruled by a council of six kings, until one of the kings betrayed the others and threw the kingdom into chaos. The remaining five kings were able to hide some relics and magical items from across the kingdom. Each was enchanted with a unique power, and one was designed for a singular purpose. It would one day aid one of the kings' descendants in restoring the kingdom to its former glory.

At the end of his tale, he informed each of you that you are descended from one of the kings. He hopes that you will find the lost treasure and possibly restore the kingdom. He paused while you took it all in then proceeded to tell you of the ruins of an ancient temple he believes holds the Scroll of Atlan Dur, and in the scroll is the secret to finding the treasure.

You are now in sight of the temple, but first, why did you agree to join these strangers on such an adventure? What from your past? Or what that Lord Benneron said? Something else?

Nislen
2014-02-17, 07:34 AM
You camped the night in a wooded area with rolling hills. The trees are old and grand, spread out enough so that you can see good distance through the forest but not so much that you can see open sky, although the blue does find some paths through the canopy. After making camp you set out toward the temple ruins, now within sight through a few gaps in the trees.

Getting closer, you can tell the temple once stood tall and grand in a clearing, and now you can catch glimpses of ancient architecture between the tree trunks. From your current vantage, you see that some of the structure has fallen during ages past, but other rooms have remained standing defying the efforts of time.

As your party approaches the ruins, you draw close enough to tell that the temple is a long rectangle. It once had a courtyard area surrounded by a wall, only sections of which remain. Within the courtyard, the temple ruins themselves still stand, stones worn over the ages. As you get closer, you begin to hear a rhythmic cracking ahead, and you pick up a faint smell of smoke in the air. You can’t see the source yet through the trees, but you would guess the sound was coming from behind two thick trees about 30 ft ahead. Another 20 ft. beyond that is the northwest corner of the ancient temple complex. What do you do?

theduck
2014-02-17, 03:28 PM
Coming to a stop upon hearing and smelling signs of other travelers, Eli thoughtfully scratches his short short beard. After a moments consideration, a charming smile crosses his face and he gives a small shrug, whispering to his compatriots.

Well, gentlemen and I do use that term loosely, it appears these ruins are slightly less than abandoned. What say you we go make some friends?

Spells prepared - magic missile, contact spirit

Nislen
2014-02-17, 04:00 PM
Coming to a stop upon hearing what seems to be a fire pit,

(The cracking is more like the crack of leather. It is occuring every three seconds or so ... too even to be the crackling of coals in a fire)

theduck
2014-02-17, 04:04 PM
(The cracking is more like the crack of leather. It is occuring every three seconds or so ... too even to be the crackling of coals in a fire)

Corrected, though Eli still assumes it is another group of travelers

Wargor
2014-02-17, 06:03 PM
Ozrik draws his sword, the ornate blade slipping from it's sheathe with barely a whisper. "I say we make sure no one else steals all that treasure but us." He grunts.

Readying his shield, he stalks forward, sticking as close to the trees as possible, hoping to catch a glimpse of whatever was making the sound.

Nislen
2014-02-17, 06:43 PM
Readying his shield, he stalks forward, sticking as close to the trees as possible, hoping to catch a glimpse of whatever was making the sound.

Roll to defy danger using dex to see if you can go unnoticed (2d6 + dex modifier)

What is everyone else doing?

Nislen
2014-02-17, 07:37 PM
Ozrik, as you approach going from tree to tree for cover, you see a dark, greenish skinned figure. It is the size of a large man and very muscular. It is wearing a leather kilt with a single leather strap across the back and over the shoulder. It is holding a whip in its right hand, facing a tree. You can't yet see who or what it is whipping because of one of the large trees.

You're also close enough to the ruins now to see smoke rising on the other side of the courtyard wall. There are many gaps in the wall, but so far, the flame itself is still out of sight.

You take this all in in the span of a moment as you come into view of this creature, but the sight distracts you and you step on a fallen stick between the cracks of the whip. At the snap of the stick, it begins turning to face you. You are close enough to another tree that you can hide quickly if you so desire. What do you do?

The rest of you followed ((OOC: I assume, but feel free to say otherwise)), but you have yet to come in sight of whatever Ozrik saw. You only know by his reaction that he has seen something. What do you do?

Wargor
2014-02-17, 08:15 PM
Eyes widening at the sight of the creature before him, Ozrik dashes across the intervening space and into the cover of the second tree as quietly as possible. He gestures back at the others, a hand raised in a stop sign and then putting his finger to his lips. He points in the direction of the creatures and holds up a finger, trying to impress the situation upon the others.

I'm guessing I might need to roll again? If so here it is.

[roll0]

theduck
2014-02-18, 08:55 AM
Eli stands still, holding his walking staff at the ready. After seeing Ozrik sneaking towards the noise, he takes a cursory look around, seeing if he can't see signs of anyone or anything else moving in the area.

Nislen
2014-02-18, 09:22 AM
he takes a cursory look around, seeing if he can't see signs of anyone or anything else moving in the area.

The woods are quiet now that the cracking sound has stopped. You think you can make out voices in the direction of the ruins. If they are voices, they are strange to your ears. As you look around, you don't see anything out of the ordinary.

If you ever "closely observe your target" you can roll to discern realities.

From the book:
When you closely study a situation or person, roll+Wis. ✴On a 10+, ask the GM 3 questions from the list below. ✴On a 7–9, ask 1.

Either way, take +1 forward when acting on the answers.

-What happened here recently?
-What is about to happen?
-What should I be on the lookout for?
-What here is useful or valuable to me?
-Who’s really in control here?
-What here is not what it appears to be?

To discern realities you must closely observe your target. That usually means interacting with it or watching someone else do the same. You can’t just stick your head in the doorway and discern realities about a room. You’re not merely scanning for clues—you have to look under and around things, tap the walls, and check for weird dust patterns on the bookshelves. That sort of thing.

Once I know how others react, I'll let you all know what the thing Ozrik saw does.

Shyftir
2014-02-18, 03:01 PM
Martelli stopped hard, dropping his hand to his sword. He had charged forward in a similar situation earlier and the wizard had gotten hurt. The reaction of his companions was less than positive.

Nislen
2014-02-18, 04:13 PM
As you all wait there after Ozrik stopped the party, you see this creature come out from the trees as it investigates the noise it heard. It drags a whip in its right hand, and you see a dagger tucked in its belt. Seconds after it comes in sight, it sees Eli, Martelli, and Hakon and gives a wry smile. It turns its head slightly, keeping its eyes on you and calls out with a deep, guttural voice, "Gen tan pwan privye ou! Nou gen envite." Then it stands there staring you three down. It is about 10-15 feet from you.

What do you do?

Ozrik: You heard it approaching and its call out. You estimate the sound was about five feet on the other side of this large tree you're hidden behind. What do you do?

Now that you all have seen the creature, some of you may have heard about these before. Spout Lore may be useful.

From the book:
When you consult your accumulated knowledge about something, roll+Int. ✴On a 10+, the GM will tell you something interesting and useful about the subject relevant to your situation. ✴On a 7–9, the GM will only tell you something interesting—it’s on you to make it useful. The GM might ask you “How do you know this?” Tell them the truth, now.

You spout lore any time you want to search your memory for knowledge or facts about something. You take a moment to ponder the things you know about the Orcish Tribes or the Tower of Ul’dammar and then reveal that knowledge.

Closest picture I could find, but it gives the idea.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/modeling-animation-276/59497d1246554373-orc-slave-driver-orc-slave-driver05.jpg

Wargor
2014-02-18, 04:35 PM
Bursting into motion, Ozrik rushes around the tree, coming around behind the creature, stabbing his blade upwards, towards the things exposed back.

Would this trigger hack-n-slash? If so here's a roll!
[roll0]

And damage: [roll1]

theduck
2014-02-18, 04:49 PM
Leaping back, Eli raises his staff, pointing it at the strange beast, trying to see if he can identify it.

Smart money is on not friendly. I think we should do our best to... dissuade it from the idea we are prey

A strange mantra fills Eli's head as energy erupts from the staff towards the monster.

Spout Lore: [roll0]
Cast a spell: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Nislen
2014-02-18, 04:52 PM
Bursting into motion, Ozrik rushes around the tree, coming around behind the creature, stabbing his blade upwards, towards the things exposed back.

In an impressive feat, Ozrik manages to assault the creature from the side. As the dwarf comes from behind the tree swinging, it turns to what would be its last sight. The smug grin turns to rage as Ozrik's blade sweeps up, rending the creature's face in two. It falls to the ground at the dwarf's feet.

Ozrik, as you came around the tree, you saw five more of these creatures coming from behind the ruin walls. They carry nets in one hand and daggers in the other, with whips tied on their belt. As they see their comrade fall to the ground, they begin charging at you. The closest one begins swinging the net like he wants to capture you. What do you do?

Everyone else, moments after Ozrik fells the first creature, you see others burst into view. What are you doing?

Nislen
2014-02-18, 04:58 PM
Leaping back, Eli raises his staff, pointing it at the strange beast, trying to see if he can identify it.

A strange mantra fills Eli's head as energy erupts from the staff towards the monster.

You recognize these creatures as matching the description of Orcs of Zarakib, a continent across the ocean to the Southeast. They have begun raiding villages in the south near the coasts, taking slaves whenever they can. You know that if any escape, they are likely to come back by day's end with many reinforcements.

((Eli, since I had already let Ozrik kill the first, and your cast a spell was successful, you can send the bolt at one of the others. It is enough damage to kill one, so describe what we see happen.))

Wargor
2014-02-18, 05:20 PM
Letting loose a battle cry that sounds suspiciously like "Die you son's of dogs!", Ozrik charges forward, his bloodlust high. Raising his shield, he barrels towards the closest green skinned bastard, hoping to close with it before it could let it's net fly. As soon as he is close enough, he begins his assault, his sword a blood covered blur.

I'll do another hack-n-slash, let me know if I need to do any other rolls in the meantime.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Shyftir
2014-02-18, 10:49 PM
Seeing battle joined, Martelli charges into the fray! "May Aylward guide my blade!" He shouts as he strikes at the orcs.

Well pretty sure THAT is Hack n' Slash.
[roll0] If I deal damage it will be, [roll1] Right? +1 for strength and +1 for my sword?

theduck
2014-02-18, 11:00 PM
There is a flash of light at the end of the staff, followed by thunderous roar and a smell of sulfur. One of the arriving orcs doubles over, and then falls to the ground.

Gentlemen, do not let any of them escape

Nislen
2014-02-19, 06:57 AM
Ozrik, you charge in, but these orcs are well practiced in catching men - even more so dwarves who resemble small plump men in their eyes. As you rush forward, the leading orc slings his net that wraps around you before you can react, tripping you to the ground. What do you do?

Martelli, as you rush in to the battle, you catch a glimpse of the temple entrance, and something stirs within you, and you know deep within yourself that mysteries of Atlan Dur lie behind those two great wooden doors. It was enough distraction for one of the other orcs to barrel into you, tackling you to the ground while burying his dagger into your side. Take [roll0] damage after subtracting your armor. The orc is now on top of you reaching to hold your sword arm in place. What do you do?

Eli, you saw all this happen, and now you see two of the orcs focus their attention on you and Hakon - one is the same that trapped Ozrik in the net. They begin to head your way, but you also notice the fourth that remains preparing a net to trap Martelli, though Martelli seems distracted by the orc on top of him. What do you do?

Hakon, what are you doing during all of this?

Bonus question for Eli: How long does it take for you to ready yourself between spells in this world?

((OOC: Ozrik and Martelli, mark 1 xp for the failed rolls))

Wargor
2014-02-19, 06:27 PM
With a snarl, Ozrik uses the sharp blade of his sword to hack his way free of the net, before leaping to his feet. Seeing the creature on top of Martelli, Ozrik rushes to the Paladins aid, attempting to stab down and skewer the foul beast on his blade.

Not sure if any rolls are needed for the net thing, so for now I'll just roll a hack and slash on the Orc. Let me know if I need to do another first.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Nislen
2014-02-19, 08:05 PM
Ill ruse the first roll as a defy danger to escape the net. Roll again for Hack n Slash, and we'll keep the damage roll. I'll wait to hear how Martelli handles the Orc before announcing results.

Shyftir
2014-02-19, 10:30 PM
Martelli struggles with the Orc slowly giving way at first then suddenly opposing his efforts with his full force trying to surprise the vicious creature.
I'm not sure if I need to roll for something so here is a generic 2d6.
[roll0]

Nislen
2014-02-20, 08:08 AM
Ozrik, you easily slice your way out of the net. Apparently these orcs are not accustomed to their prey wielding such sharp blades. Waiting on Hack n Slash roll. If you get 10+ you can describe how you slay your foe. Damage was enough to kill one.

Martelli, you attempt to shove this Orc off of you, but the creature possesses surprising strength. It holds you down, snarling in your face, and a little drool drips onto your cheek. Because of your resistance, it raises it's other hand to stab at you again with his dagger, briefly freeing your shield arm. What do you do?Your roll would have been to defy danger using strength, but even with the strength modifier added, you wouldn't have gotten to 7. Mark another xp!

Posted from my phone. As soon as I can get on a computer I'll add what Hakon is doing.

Nislen
2014-02-20, 09:19 AM
Hakon steps forward towards the advancing orcs and says to Eli, "Impressive display of power. I'm not much for fighting, but I think I can keep them off of you. Let me know how I can help."

Eli, Hakon is using the defend move. Take a look at the options and let him know how he can help. Defend roll: [roll0]

theduck
2014-02-20, 12:22 PM
Defend me, if you can

The mantra starts to grow, and Eli finds himself murmuring along with it despite himself. Turning his staff towards the orc that is approaching Martelli with the net.

Martelli, not to alarm you, but there is one with a new

Arcane energy surges down the staff again.

I kind of like the idea that the spells almost live in his head when he has them memorized. As such, he can cast with little or downtime, but it results in him becoming less observant if he keeps it up, and may result in slight personality changes (i.e., repeated castings of charm result in him becoming needlessly manipulative, repeated casting of fireball give him "hot headed" approach to things, etc.) At the same time, lesser spells have less effect - if he is higher levels, he can cast lower level spells and keep his head more.

Cast: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Have Hakon take the hit for me (I am kind of a selfish character... :smallamused:

Nislen
2014-02-20, 02:55 PM
Ozrik arrives to Martelli's aid as the Orc begins sending its dagger to the Paladin's heart. But with a swift swing of the sword, Ozrik removes the creature's head cleanly from its body, which falls lifeless onto Martelli. In his fury, Ozrik opened himself up to an attack from the second Orc approaching, who thrusts his dagger at Ozrik. Take [roll0] damage after subtracting armor.

After dealing his damage the Orc realizes he is outnumbered and turns, fleeing towards the temple.If you wish to catch him, roll to defy danger using Dex.

Meanwhile, Eli's burst of energy flies forward, searing the first approaching Orc who falls to the ground, sliding to Eli's feet. Hakon steps forward and deflects the blow of the second Orc. After seeing the second display of Eli's power, this Orc flees to the south, away from the temple.

What do you all do?

Shyftir
2014-02-20, 04:38 PM
Martelli throws the fallen orc off himself and leaps up. He chases after the fleeing greenskin leaping to tackle the slaver.

This is gonna go badly...
defy danger:dex
[roll0]

Wargor
2014-02-20, 05:17 PM
Ozrik follows, setting off after the orc, shield readied to knock him off his feet.

[roll0]

Nislen
2014-02-20, 08:20 PM
Hakon remembers Eli's warning to not let them escape and runs after the one that fled from he and Eli.

Roll to catch him [roll0].

Nislen
2014-02-20, 08:25 PM
Ozrik, you have a choice to make. As you take off after the fleeing Orc, you soon realize you would be able to catch him, but it wouldn't be until he is at the temple doors, separating you from your allies. Do you pursue the whole way? If so, deal your damage. If not, how far do you pursue?

Martelli, unfortunately by the time you get the Orc corpse off, Ozrik and the fleeing Orc are already too far to catch. How do you feel about how the battle has gone?

Eli, Hakon will catch the Orc, but it will take him out of sight of the party. What do you do? Do you tell Hakon to stop?

Wargor
2014-02-21, 06:54 AM
Ozrik carries on running, his short but powerful legs bringing him within striking distance. With a growl, he slams his shield into the orc's back, crushing him against the temple doors.

[roll0]

Nislen
2014-02-21, 11:32 AM
The orc slumps to the ground dead. Ozrik, you begin to take in your surroundings now that you are inside the temple courtyard. The doors into the temple are massive and wooden, yet still completely intact. These double doors stand about 12 feet tall, arched at the top with an inscription spanning the top. The temple itself is still mostly standing, although there is a large portion of the wall missing to the left.

When you turn back towards the forest, you see an ancient altar to your left - stones piled into a 12’ wide pillar that stands 3’ off the ground. The altar is still mostly intact, but the mortar has begun to crumble away. Shortly beyond the altar is the Orcs' campfire, and you see some traveling bags lying against the courtyard wall.

To your right, there is a 12’ bronze basin with lots of corrosion. You also see for the first time who was being whipped. An orc is tied to one of the large trees hidden from everyone else's view. It is slumped over so that the ropes are supporting its weight, and blood covers the creature's back.

You see all of this in the span of a moment, then you hear a voice from within the temple shouting, "M 'te di pa deranje m'!".

What do you do?

Shyftir
2014-02-21, 04:21 PM
Martelli struggles after Ozrik thinking, I'm getting too old for this. It was kind of embarrassing really, but a paladin doesn't let a little thing like failure keep him from his duties.

Nislen
2014-02-21, 06:29 PM
Martelli, you see the same things Ozrick does, and you arrive just in time to hear something said inside as well.

Wargor
2014-02-22, 04:07 AM
Cursing quietly, Ozrik crouches down behind the pillar, trying to stay out of view of the direction the voices are coming from. Glancing up and seeing Martelli arrive, he frantically gestures for him to do the same.

I guess this might be defy danger Dex?
[roll0]

Nislen
2014-02-22, 07:31 AM
No need for the defy danger on this one. But what are you hiding behind? There's an altar about 3' high. The bronze basin is about the same. There is the courtyard walls that would be plenty high also.

Before resolving the voice inside, I need to get Hakon and Eli's orc issue resolved. In the timeline, I figure you hear the voice at the same time they deal with their orc however they choose to do so.

Over the weekend or early next week, answer your character's question and one of the free-for-all questions that no one has answered.

Ozrik: (1) Does your sword have a name? (2) You mentioned Urka-dal and Meandaros - what are these places like and who lives there?

Martelli: You and Hakon are of the same churches, but are there other gods the people serve in this land? If so, could you describe one or two of the more powerful deities?

Eli: You ran away from the Third Tower. Why kind of response might you expect if the head wizards found you?

FFA's
1) What is the name of the region you are in (same region as Thade), and what is the government like for this land?

2) Who are the most dangerous people that we should be wary of?

3) Who are the most trusted / respected people in the land?

Wargor
2014-02-23, 07:17 PM
Going down on one knee, Ozrik huddles down behind the 3' altar, hopefully enough to hide his short but wide frame.

1) The sword doesn't have a name, Orik doesn't believe in naming weapons. There is an inscription on the blade, but it's in a language he can't read. Could be a name, could be a makers mark, but he doesn't really care. He's not entirely sure why he even keeps the damn thing, he tells himself it's just because it's a damn good sword, but maybe he's more sentimental than he lets on.

2) Urka-dal is hot. Very hot. A land of burning sand and dark, angry spirits. The people that live there mainly live in Enclaves, huge walled cities where they huddle together in the name of survival, as life in the wastes is harsh. The sands are stalked by demons and spirits at night, and the day time sun makes travel anywhere nightmarish. Mostly human inhabitants, they keep themselves shrouded in airy cloth to try and keep themselves protected from the sun.

Meandaros is the homeland of the Wild Elves, an area of lush forest and open grassland, where the Elves live in harmony with the land. They worship the Earth Mother, and revere all of her children. They're well known for rearing some of the best horses in the world, and the sight of a Wild Rider in battle is truly something to behold.

And FFA 1) We are currently in the region of Talarnchal. Thade is it's capital city.

Shyftir
2014-02-23, 10:28 PM
Martelli hunkers down behind a basin wondering where the cleric and the wizard are.

Martelli serves Aylward, God of Cities and Civilization.
The other major human deities are

Karthon, the Reaching Hand, god of both the downtrodden and of warriors.

Melfinous, the Hidden, god of secrets and knowledge (including magic).

Radnor, the Scythe, god of agriculture, (sometimes worshiped by death cults secretly)

theduck
2014-02-24, 10:58 AM
Taking a moment to collect himself, Eli starts to follow after the dwarf and paladin - no need to leave himself more exposed than necessary.

Normally, the tower would just let him go - however, since he has been engaged in some less than savory activity, they were try to pursue him if he was linked back to the tower in order to save face. Regardless, he would not receive a warm welcome.

As for people to be wary of:
Enoch, the Bandit King: Long suspected to be a rumor, there has finally been confirmation of the Elf Enoch, who has been taking over small bandit gangs, rallying them together into a more coherent front.

The Chirurgeon: A human wizard who started out trying to better develop arcane equivalents of healing, it is now believed that he has started to gain a taste for the creation of chimera's - many of which contain humanoid components. Real name not known.

The Northern King: Rumors persist of a more competent Orc war-chief crowned with the antlers of a buck who has a small smattering of shamanistic magic. He has apparently been responsible for the disappearance of a few ogre tribes, though whether he killed them or recruited them is yet unclear.

Nislen
2014-02-24, 11:37 AM
Hakon has taken off into the forest after a fleeing orc, hopefully to return as the victor.

Shortly after Ozrik and Martelli hide themselves, as Eli enters the temple courtyard, the temple doors burst open. You see another orc come out of the temple. He is wearing a full leather cloak with a hood shading his face. He has no whip, but instead carries a knarled staff. As he comes into the daylight, he begins yelling at his fellow orcs, then falls silent as he nearly trips over the corpse left at the temple entrance.

He looks up, seeing Eli first and slams his staff on the ground while chanting a spell, and as the staff lands, you can see his exposed skin change from vomit green to a dark brown - like bark perhaps. Immediately he draws back his staff, chanting again, and you see the top of the staff begin to glow orange.

Eli, his eyes are set on you. What do you do?

Ozrik and Martelli, if you are peering over your hiding places, you see all this and know that Eli is soon to be in danger. What do you do?

You all are basically in a diamond shape. The orc and Eli are opposite points about 30 ft apart. Martelli and Ozrik are the other two points. They are about 20 ft from the orc in one direction and 20 ft from Eli in the other. There is a large altar or basin between them and the orc, however.

theduck
2014-02-24, 02:16 PM
So much for not leaving myself exposed

Eli leaps to the left, leveling his staff against the orc and firing a magic missile at shaman.

Going all John Woo up in this posers face

Defy Danger: [roll0]
Cast Spell: [roll1]
Magic Missile: [roll2]

Nislen
2014-02-24, 03:21 PM
A ball of flame erupts from the orc's staff heading straight for Eli, who dives out of the way and barely escapes the flame. Mid-air, a bolt of Eli's own magical energy hurls toward the Orc, crashing into the creature's shoulder. It lets out a cry of pain.

Eli, in your haste to escape danger, something less than ideal happens. What is it?Either you lose 1d3 items to the flame as they fly off your person while diving, OR, you you injure a joint, taking -1 ongoing to Dex rolls until you can recover for 3 days.

Shyftir
2014-02-24, 04:30 PM
After the initial blasts of magic are traded, Martelli pops up from behind the basin and charges the orc caster hoping to disrupt his casting and protect Eli.

Some possible rolls:
Defend:
[roll0]
Hack n Slash:
[roll1]
Defy Danger:
[roll2]

Nislen
2014-02-24, 05:01 PM
After the initial blasts of magic are traded, Martelli pops up from behind the basin and charges the orc caster hoping to disrupt his casting and protect Eli.

To use the Defend move, you would have to stay next to whatever you are defending, so charging at the orc will be Hack 'n' Slash instead. No danger (yet) since it wasn't expecting you, so deal your damage -2 (for the armor skin).

Edit: Also Defend roll should have been +2 I believe. Its your CON modifier unless you have something else to help you defend.

theduck
2014-02-24, 06:35 PM
I'll take the injury. I'll heal my items want

Wargor
2014-02-25, 03:16 AM
Reacting to the sudden burst of action, Ozrik races out from behind the altar, sword raised, a battle cry on his lips.

Would I deal damage too?
[roll0] If so.

Shyftir
2014-02-25, 09:27 PM
damage roll: [roll0]

Nislen
2014-02-25, 09:56 PM
Your sword connects in what you believe would have been a killing blow if not for the bark-like skin on the Orc. After the blow, the Orc looks to be in serious pain. He raises his staff in the air with a cry, and Martelli is pushed back a few feet as three balls of flame begin orbiting the Orc. To attack in melee, one will have to defy danger using dex. Next it begins readying a blast for Martelli. What do you all do?

Ozrik, to deal the damage you rolled earlier, roll defy danger. Hack n slash not needed since it's bake is to you.

Wargor
2014-02-26, 07:14 AM
Defy Danger!
[roll0]

Nislen
2014-02-26, 09:08 AM
Ozrik charges in as the orc begins readying the second spell. Seeing the orbiting flames, the dwarf times his strike nearly perfectly. He barely gets his sword through the creature's skin when he has to withdraw or be burned. His timing was barely to slow and the flaming orb grazed his arm while he withdrew it. Take half of [roll0] rounding down. The damage ignores armor. 6- would have gotten you the full d10.

Eli, you see the scene unfolding, and you know that a single magic missile will definitely finish the orc off, but it will not make it in time to save Martelli. He will have to deal with the coming blast himself. What do you do?

Martelli, after being pushed back, you see the flaming orbs circling the orc, and you see it charging its staff to send a fireball your way. You could possibly protect yourself by blocking the flame with your shield (Defy Danger using Con), or you can try diving out of the way (Defy Danger using Dex). If you really wanted, you could try and attack (Hack n Slash), but this would guarantee you taking damage from either the blast or the orbs, if not both. What do you do?

Ozrik, in the event that neither Eli or Martelli kill the orc in their next move, you can stab it in the back to kill it, but still roll defy danger for the circling flames.

theduck
2014-02-26, 09:55 AM
Eli grunted as he hit the ground, the staff flying from his hands. The landing was... less than ideal, but it had at least gotten Eli out of the spells way. Quickly taking stock of the situation, thrust a clenched fist towards the orc, then opened it with a blast of eldritch energy. Though it pained it to admit it, Eli could not think of how to defend the paladin.

Cast a spell: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Nislen
2014-02-26, 10:08 AM
The Orc will die from Eli's spell. We need to see how Martelli protects himself, then we can be done with combat for a while.
Eli, I think this was your first roll less than 10. You get to make a choice:

On a 7-9, the spell is cast, but choose one:

-You draw unwelcome attention or put yourself in a spot. The GM will tell you how.
-The spell disturbs the fabric of reality as it is cast—take -1 ongoing to cast a spell until the next time you Prepare Spells.
-After it is cast, the spell is forgotten. You cannot cast the spell again until you prepare spells.

theduck
2014-02-26, 11:54 AM
Drawing unwelcome attention seems like it would be the most interesting.

And it is pretty close to my first under 10 roll - the forum dice gods have been abnormally nice to me, and I feel that I will suffer for it soon.

Shyftir
2014-02-26, 04:21 PM
Martelli sees the blast coming but stands firm as only a paladin can. He raises his shield and bellows, "Alyward! Be my shield!"

Defy Danger - Con[roll0]

Nislen
2014-02-26, 04:37 PM
The flame blast hits the shield and simply scatters around Martelli, doing no harm in what would be the orc's last attempt to guard his life. For, immediately following the blast, the orc is struck by bolts of energy, leaching the last bit of his life, and he falls to the ground smoldering.

Martelli and Ozrik, when you look over to Eli, you see him in what seems like a trance. He just stands there unresponsive for about five minutes.
Eli, as you release the spell, the world around you fades to black. Nothingness. You are not even standing on the ground or breathing air, because they are not. Then, reality begins to return, but not the reality that you remember. You recognize the building before you, but you thought it was in ruins. The temple now stands new and grand. It is plated in gold. Banners of an unknown god hang from the outer wall, which also looks new. You see priests at the altar with a young calf, but they don’t seem to even know you are there. They raise it on the altar, and you see that it is already dead, and a trail of blood leads from the bronze basin to the altar, where wood is piled high. As they go to place the calf on the wood, chaos ensues.

Two riders break through the entrance, clad in dark plate armor. Their swords are drawn, and they are yelling at the priests who draw back in fear. After the riders, you see an elf come in. He is wearing the garb of a mage, reminding you of your studies in the ancient arcane. He is not walking, nor is he riding, but he seems to glide on the air. The priests all fall silent and begin to tremble as he enters.

He then looks around, pleased with what he sees. Then he begins chanting, weaving arcane energy into reality. The priests begin to fall over dead, then the sky darkens and lightning begins to strike around the temple. Once, twice, and a third time, it strikes the door to the temple, but nothing happens. The elf’s grin turns to a scowl, and momentarily the lightning subsides. When the onslaught continues, the elf is now focused on the temple wall, and a powerful strike bursts into the section to the left of the door, exploding the rock outward. Immediately the storm begins to clear as the elf glides into the temple through the gap he just created.

Eli, your world goes black again. A voice speaks into your mind. At first, you don’t understand the language. Magio estis lia potenco. Magio estis lia perdigo. Unue kontrolis per li, tiam li kontrolis. Uzanton de magio, vi ne estas bonvenaj en tiu loko. But it repeats again and again until the words hold meaning in your mind. Magic was his power. Magic was his downfall. First controlled by him, then him controlled. Wielder of magic, you are not welcome in this place.

The voice fades as reality returns. You are once again standing before the ruins of an ancient temple.

To translate a foreign or ancient language, roll 2d6 + INT. On a 10+, you can translate the text or speech without trouble. The GM will give you the translation. On a 7-9, you can’t quite figure it out. There are portions left out or words translated incorrectly. The GM will tell you what you know. Also, tell us how you learned this language.

Eli, take +1 ongoing towards translating the language of Atlan Dur, because you have become more familiar with the language through your vision.
As far as any of you are able to tell, there are no more orcs, except one bleeding and tied to a tree. You don't know whether or not he is alive. There are traveling bags around the campfire. And, Martelli knows that inside the temple await knowledge of Atlan Dur. What do you all want to do? (This would be a great time for characters to interact also, possibly to work on bonds).

Shyftir
2014-02-27, 01:38 AM
"Well that was a neat little tussle, eh?" The paladin smirked seeing as despite some unfortunate turns he was mostly unscathed.

"What say you, Eli? Enjoy blasting the greenskin?"

Wargor
2014-02-28, 10:52 AM
Wincing whilst checking out his burned arm, Ozrik sheaths his sword, after cleaning it on the orc shaman's rags. "I've been in worse fights, you should have seen the last stand if the Baugenites. Now that was a real meat grinder. Where did the priest get to?" He adds, glancing round.

Nislen
2014-03-01, 07:20 AM
Hakon comes limping back to the temple, bleeding from his leg. "I got him ... Stabbed me ... in the leg ... but I stopped him ...", then looking to Eli, "Run out of ... magic? ... seems to me that..." Then he notices that Eli is just standing there blankly and looks towards Ozrik and Martelli. "What happened ... to him?"

Shyftir
2014-03-01, 11:53 AM
He's had some sort of a fit. Not surprising. These arcane types are always sticking there noses into dangerous things. Half-mad most of them. Martelli shook his head and began cleaning the orc blood off his sword.

Wargor
2014-03-02, 05:00 AM
"I once saw a War Wizard channel so much magic his damn head exploded, you'd be surprised how painful a shard of skull can be when it's lodged in your arm." Ozrik growled' stalking over to the saddlebags. He begins to rifle through them, leaving no crease unexplored.

Nislen
2014-03-02, 08:43 AM
Ozrik growled' stalking over to the saddlebags. He begins to rifle through them, leaving no crease unexplored.

Ozrik, you find 38 Coin in one of the bags.
You also find a toy fire beetle. It has the look and texture of solid wood, but it can be squeezed like leather. If you squeeze the beetle, it spouts flames from its mouth – about a 1 ft small cone of flame.
You find 3 torches (each can burn for four hours) and 1 Orc Adventuring gear (5 uses, 1 weight). The gear is the same as regular adventuring gear, but limited to gear you might expect orc slavers to carry.

You also find 7 rations of Orc food (Each: 5 uses, 1 weight) and a map of the region with some peculiar markings. You can recognize some of the landmarks - enough to tell where you are. It looks like about a day's journey to the north there is a village circled on the map.

In the last bag, you find a page with a foreign script. It looks like it might be a letter or possibly orders.

theduck
2014-03-02, 09:42 AM
The world sways for as it comes back into focus, and for a moment, Eli thinks he is going to be sick. As his mind catches up with all it his physical ears heard during the vision, Eli gives his companions a weak smile.

Eh... I've always found killing orcs of this tribe as more of a necessary chore than anything to be enjoyed. Also, I think we may want to no dally here, I have the suspicion that we attracted the attention of something we would rather not have

Shyftir
2014-03-02, 11:41 AM
"Attracting things most people would rather not is sort of my stock in trade, but for all of that I agree. Let us see where this map can lead us. No matter our mission here, my duty requires that we stop these slavers." Martelli finished cleaning his blade and returned it to the sheathe on his hip. Then picked up the map. "Hmm... This village is circled perhaps the good people of it should be warned of the orcs."

Nislen
2014-03-02, 02:03 PM
Eventually I'll let you all tell me when you want to do things without suggestions, but for the sake of learning the system, I'll be giving some options for a while.

Eli, if your character could have studied beings that control thoughts or give visions, you could spout lore on what just happened to you. If your character has studied history, you could spout lore on what you witnessed as well.

Anyone that may have studied or learned an orc language could try to translate the second paper found using the move I made (in Eli's Experience spoiler). Same thing goes for the script across the top of the door into the temple - except it is not orc speech, but some ancient language.
Edit: Also, who is taking what from the plunder?

Wargor
2014-03-02, 06:47 PM
Orzik pockets the coins and the toy beetle, before turning to the other useful peices. "If anyone needs any supplies, there's bits here, take your pick."

Looking over the letter, Ozrik tries to remember the bits and prices of Orcish he picked up on his travels.

I can't remember the roll for this currently, so I'll check back over and post it in the ooc.

Nislen
2014-03-02, 09:13 PM
Ozrik, you make out the following message:

Command of Boldog!
Enslave weak men who have no will to fight.
​Enslave strong women to birth willing slaves
​Enslave children
​Kill old ones and any who resist

​The elf has promised us a stake in this land. We will no longer be the weak, but the mighty. Make the people here fear the orcs!

Wargor
2014-03-03, 02:20 AM
Ozrik grimly relates the message to his companions.

Nislen
2014-03-03, 09:32 AM
"Martelli, I'm with you on that. We can't allow these uncivilized brutes to go around harassing innocent villagers." Hakon says, then with a grimace, he looks down at his bleeding leg. "Do you think you can do something about this? As you know, Aylward doesn't allow selfish prayers, so I dare not heal myself."

Ozrik, tell us more about the Thradean Marines - goals, influence, etc.

Eli, how is magic viewed by the general population?

Martelli, what made you choose Aylward as your deity?

Wargor
2014-03-03, 04:02 PM
"Innocent? Not likely! But aye, we should do something, someone might pay us." Ozrik states, smirking. "So what do you suggest, we abandon these ruins and go chase villagers? And what do we do about him? He adds, pointing at the tortured orc.

Nislen
2014-03-03, 07:08 PM
You all estimate that it is about 9:30 in the morning, and the temple is small enough that you could search it we'll enough by noon (barring other interruptions). Hakon will do whatever the group chooses.

theduck
2014-03-04, 10:29 AM
I vote we stay the course for a moment. I would rather we finish all of our business here, and then never have to come back. As for out friend, maybe we should ask him - nicely - if he would mind not being a slaver anymore, Eli reply's, gently massaging his wounding shoulder. Or you could offer him the same respect his kind offer surrendered soldiers, it is all the same to me. I would just rather not have to babysitter a murderer and a slaver

Giving a long sigh, Eli collects himself, and tries to recall anything he can about what type of being may have given him such a vision.

Spout Lore: [roll0]

Nislen
2014-03-04, 10:49 AM
As Eli finishes speaking, you all hear a slight moan from the whipped orc. He lifts his head trying to look around. He sees the corpses of his fellow orcs and begins sniffing the air.

There are not many creatures you know of that are capable of peering into the minds of others, much less control their mind for a time. Sure, there are wizards who know the charm spell, but you know this requires a touch, and no one touched you. You do know that this kind of thing only has a limited range.

One creature in particular comes to mind - the Couatl. Thinking back on your studies of magical and planar creatures, you remember that Couatl's could pierce thoughts as means to bring righteous judgment. They were often allied with good gods and great kings, and you suspect that it is guarding something within the temple.

Wargor
2014-03-04, 06:21 PM
Ozrik walks slowly over to the captured orc, his blade hissing free from it's sheathe. Staring straight into the creatures eye's, he speaks to it in his best Orcish. "So tell me dog, why were they whipping you? And why shouldn't I just slaughter you like we did the rest of your kind? Just like the Sundering of Red Peak."

Nislen
2014-03-04, 09:09 PM
The orc's response comes slowly between breaths, and he speaks in a different dialect than the orcs in these lands, making him nearly impossible to understand.

Threaten all you want, tiny man. Ulgrok should die. They whip Ulgrok because they escape on Ulgrok's watch. Ulgrok not deserve glory Boldog promise.

Wargor
2014-03-05, 07:45 AM
"What escaped?" Ozrik asks, digging the tip of his blade lightly into the creatures stomach.

Nislen
2014-03-05, 08:16 AM
"It matter not." He pauses and looks at the corpses he can see before continuing. "We raid village; capture four small ones for Boldog, but Ulgrok not knot well, and small ones run. Planned to go back tonight. But dead orcs dead now.

theduck
2014-03-05, 08:47 AM
When did they escape, slaver? Where were you holding them?

Nislen
2014-03-05, 11:11 AM
He shifts into speaking common, but it is very broken - like someone just learning a foreign language. "During dark." Then, pausing as if to consider his words, "Free Ulgrok, Ulgrok show where."

At this, Hakon speaks up, "If you cut him free and he runs, I'm not chasing this time. One of you can go after him." Hakon looks the bloodied orc over, Though, I don't think he'd get very far."

theduck
2014-03-05, 03:17 PM
Giving an impish smile, Eli pats the orcs cheek.

You wouldn't think of trying to take a run for it if we let you lead us, now would you?

Taking a step back, Eli thoughtfully strokes his beard.

We are wasting time here - I say we put it up to a vote, do we finish up here first, or do we leave to see if we can recover these... little ones first. I'd just as soon finish up here and leave - I think there is something here with some serious mojo, and I would rather not have to come back.

I need to stop trying to update using my phone

Shyftir
2014-03-05, 08:45 PM
I fear for the safety of these "little ones." But if our business here is that pressing we must be about it.

Wargor
2014-03-06, 08:54 AM
"Aye, let's raid the ruins, then deal with the villagers. Hopefully we'll be twice as rich." He says with a grin.

Nislen
2014-03-06, 09:04 AM
"It is a plan, then. I will follow you all. However, Martelli, if you could pray for me. My leg is still killing me here," replies Hakon.

Martelli, Hakon is asking for you to lay on hands because he was injured after chasing the fleeing Orc.
How do you all proceed?

Shyftir
2014-03-06, 06:00 PM
"Of course Brother, how churlish of me not to see your point." Martelli smiles at Hakon before steeling himself. "Oh great Aylward, Shield of Men and Sword of Justice, I ask thy grace, that I may bring comfort to your sworn servant, in his affliction." He intoned these words as he planted his hands on Hakon's wound. The touch was firm enough to feel but not truly painful.

[roll0] if 10+ [roll1] damage healed. If less I take the damage but Hakon is still healed.

Nislen
2014-03-06, 08:47 PM
"Bless you, Martelli," Hakon says as his leg quickly heals. But as his leg heals, a spot of blood appears on Martelli's own leg. Hakon notices and begins praying to Aylward. Oh great Aylward, your servant Martelli has shown himself truly selfless by taking my pain as his. I pray, heal his wound

Hakon casts Cure light wounds. Cast spell: [roll0]
If 7+ it heals [roll1]

Wargor
2014-03-09, 10:35 AM
"Enough religious bollocks, let's explore us a temple!" Ozrik growls, a grin spreading across his face. Done with words, he strides over to the temples doors and heaves them open.

Nislen
2014-03-09, 01:24 PM
Light from the open door spills into the ancient room, which is probably 20 feet wide and 40 feet back. There are 12 columns down the room, six on each side. On the ground around the closest left column, you see some ropes lying on the ground, which is smooth marble.
You smell the scent of blood in the air, not yet stale, but not completely fresh.You sense that you must travel straight ahead to find what you seek.You all can see that there are 5 doors in the room. There are two on each side wall about halfway down the room, each made of plain wood. Another is on the far wall,and it seems to be in better condition that te rest of the room. There are two humanoid bodies on the ground near the far door.
What would you like to do?

Shyftir
2014-03-09, 03:39 PM
Martelli pulls a torch out of his pack and lights it up.

Nislen
2014-03-10, 09:35 AM
As everyone's eyes adjust to the torch-lit room, you begin to make out some more details. The ceiling is about 20 ft above you; it is mostly intact, but some spots show cracking from age. Some of the columns have chunks missing with rubble on the ground. You can tell after a few moments of adjusting to the light that the corpses on the far end of the room are orcs, probably with the same group you encountered. You can also tell now that the far door has writing on it just as the door you entered through did, but you can't quite make out the script from this distance.

What do you do?
First of all, you can do anything in the fiction if your character wants to, but here are some ideas.
-Examining the ropes on the ground for clues = DISCERN REALITIES
-Examining the corpses = DISCERN REALITIES
-Check doors for traps = DISCERN REALITIES (Let me know you are specifically looking for traps and use one of the questions that fits that)
-Read the writing on the far door = TRANSLATE LANGUAGE
-Comment on how the entrance and far door do not look worn down = SPOUT LORE
-You can also try to just go through any of the doors.If you try to open the first door on the right or the second door on the left, you find them locked.

theduck
2014-03-10, 09:54 AM
Cast spell: light - [roll0]

Wargor
2014-03-10, 10:02 AM
Slowly stepping into the temple, Ozrik looks over to the bodies, looking for a cause of death, and the source of the blood he smelt.

Discern Realities!
[roll0]

Nislen
2014-03-10, 10:10 AM
Eli, the light spell was cast, but what did you cast it onto? Also, something went slightly awry. Did you forget the spell, disturb the fabric of reality (taking -1 ongoing), or draw more unwanted attention?

Ozrik, you can't quite make out why the orcs died. Something happened to them that you have never seen... or do you just not remember this sort of thing? Either way, all you know with certainty is that they are dead. It is obvious that they came from the far door (the one with writing) because you're close enough now to see a blood trail. ((Also, mark xp!))

theduck
2014-03-10, 10:34 AM
I will forget the spell, and I was casting it on my staff

Holding his staff aloft, Eli approaches the far door, trying his best to make out the text.

TRANSLATE LANGUAGE: [roll0]

Nislen
2014-03-10, 01:25 PM
Looking over the text in the light, you are pretty confident that it reads:
INNER SANCTUM
Melvinus permits none to enter
except the 12 who reign
and the high priest of Melvinus

Shyftir
2014-03-10, 11:01 PM
"I realize that the door in front of us is quite foreboding, and strewn with corpses, but I'm pretty certain our answers lie beyond it."

Martelli drops to his knees and prays, "O Great Aylward, in this dark place, I pray for your guidance. Lead me to evil that I may smite it in thy name."

Wargor
2014-03-11, 03:18 AM
"Well something killed these orcs, not sure what but they're definitely dead. What does the writing mean Wizard, is it a warning?" Ozrik asks, glancing Eli's way.

Nislen
2014-03-11, 05:38 AM
Martelli drops to his knees and prays, "O Great Aylward, in this dark place, I pray for your guidance. Lead me to evil that I may smite it in thy name."

Martelli, Aylward answers with a single word pressed upon your mind. Nothing. With that answer you are certain that nothing within the temple is actually evil.

Nislen
2014-03-11, 03:44 PM
The party is now standing before this ancient door into the temple' sinner sanctum. You believe the scroll you seek lies inside, but there are signs of danger. Do you wish to enter?

There are other rooms you may wish to explore first, or is there more in this room you are in you wish to do? Are we waiting on Eli's response? If so just shoot us a line OOC - Also let us know what your character is wanting to do next even if you're waiting to hear from someone.

theduck
2014-03-12, 05:07 PM
Glancing at his compatriots, Eli gives a small shrug and approaches the door.

As the saying goes, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If no one objects, he opens the door

Wargor
2014-03-13, 04:14 AM
Ozrik draws his sword and shield, ready for anything. He gives Eli a terse nod.

Nislen
2014-03-13, 06:59 AM
You pull on the door and it begins to swing open. There's a dim light coming from within from a few candles along the sides of the room. The room is about 20 ft by 20 ft. In the center of the room, you see another altar, much smaller than the one outside, and on the other side of the altar is an ornate storage chest. In the dar corners of the room you see two statues of these winged creatures. They have six legs, six wings, and except for the extra limbs they resemble lions. They face from the corner directly at the altar.

There is also something very distinct about this room from the rest of the temple. There are no signs of ages passing, as if the room and everything inside are still relatively new. As each of you enter the room, a voice presses upon your minds.
Bloody past and morals when convenient. Who are you and what is it you seek?Worn and weary from serving your god. Who are you, and why do you enter the sanctum of a god not your own?Wielder of magic...You come while unwelcome. Is it bravery or foolishness. Who are you, magician. Why should I spare you? You recognize this as the same voice from your vision.

What do each of you think, say, or do in response?

Shyftir
2014-03-13, 08:37 PM
Martelli's thoughts:

It is true I am weary, but worn? Nay! I am polished. The grit is rubbed away, the dross has burned in the fire all that is left is my soul and I know that it shines. I come here searching after Truth. My god is no enemy to the patron of such a great people. I do you just honor for Aylward has told me you are not Evil, and as such we are, in truth, allies against the Darkness of Savagery.

theduck
2014-03-14, 09:23 AM
It is my right to come here, I am told that I am a descendant of one of the five kings. Who has more right than one of the heirs? And do not equate me with the elf of old - he did a great evil, but that is not on me. If you seek vengeance, come at me if you will, but if you seek justice, let me pass unmolested.

Wargor
2014-03-14, 05:08 PM
Ozrik's thoughts.

Bloody past? Aye I've practically bathed in it. And don't taunt me with my morals, there's no true morality in this world. It's park, and dirty, and filled with pain, and death. The world only turns because the wheels are greased by the blood of the poor scum everyone else is treading on. I am Ozrik, son of a whore, descendant of a flea bitten old King that couldn't even hold onto his kingdom. What do I want? I want to piss on all those that try to control my life. I want to rule my life, and be my own master.

Nislen
2014-03-15, 06:19 AM
You all hear a rustling above you - coming from the ceiling directly above the door into this room. Air begins blowing across your face as this large winged serpent comes to rest behind the chest. It's body is about 15 ft long, and the color reminds you of emerald and sapphire. The wings span 12 ft; at their base, they have the same emerald/sapphire look, but the color shifts to these bright greens then yellows then reds towards the tips of the feathers.

As the creature comes to rest, it speaks with a voice that each of you can hear now. "Descendant?," it says, looking back and forth between Ozrik and Eli, "Then you must submit to a test. Mens' words in dark times may be but echoes of truth. Will you agree?"

After he finishes speaking, he speaks again only to you. Aylward? I know of him. Do you claim to be a descendant of Aylward's king? If it is true, then truth I shall grant you.After he finishes speaking, he speaks again only to you. The morality you know today is a shadow of a shadow of what once was. If you speak true, you may find the substance of what is now only faint echoes.After he finishes speaking, he speaks again only to you. If you speak true, I will help you learn to control your magic. It is dangerous, but may very well be necessary for the path ahead.
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/305/0/b/Couatl_for_Paizo_by_MichaelJaecks.jpg

Wargor
2014-03-17, 03:45 PM
Ozrik stares at the creature, breath hissing between his teeth in shock at the sight of it. He quickly regains his composure though and steps forward, a beligerant expression selling on his features as he looks the thing straight in it's eyes. "And what kind of test are suggesting exactly?" He demands.

Nislen
2014-03-17, 04:01 PM
"Atlan Dur was ruled by six kings. Each of you seem to have a unique skillset," looking at Ozrik and Eli, "or value-set," now looking at Martelli and Hakon, "that resembles on of the kings of old. Each had their purpose in the kingdom, and by their individual strengths, Atlan Dur was among the greatest kingdoms in history. Each of you will have your own test to determine if you have the royal blood."

Looking to Ozrik first, it says, "You must prove yourself in battle, for the kings of Atlan Dur must be strong and able to defend the people against any enemy. If you agree, I will open a portal. You must enter, and you cannot return until your foe is slain.”

Next he looks to Eli. "You must learn a technique to control your magic, for the kings of Atlan Dur must control and not be controlled. To do so, you will summon the spirit of Melvinus’s high mage from the height of Atlan Dur. If you are truly royal blood, you will be able to master the technique that he will teach you.”

Next he looks to Martelli. “If you do claim to be one of the descendants as well, you must prove your willingness to sacrifice for others, for the kings of Atlan Dur must be servants of the people. You must spill some of your own blood on the altar. If you do, I will tell you where to find the children you wish to save. If you do not, they will be left to fend for themselves.”

Finally he looks to Hakon. "Your test is in your willingness to save those with whom you disagree. You must follow Ozrik into the portal. You may not interfere with the battle except to save his life. However, you must keep him alive."

Do you agree to these tests?

theduck
2014-03-18, 09:36 AM
Leaning towards the others, Eli whispers

Not that I am not thrilled to let this... snake bird teleport us around, but are we willing to leave the escaped slaves to their fate?

Shyftir
2014-03-18, 04:59 PM
Martelli doesn't even hesitate. "King's Blood or not I do not know, but if your question is 'Will I shed my own blood to save the lives of children?' then the answer is this." Martelli pulls out a small knife he uses for various tasks around camp, walks up to the altar and makes a small cut across his arm. He then clinches his fist, causing blood to begin welling out of the wound and onto the altar.

Wargor
2014-03-18, 05:20 PM
"Aye I'll face this foe. I'll crush him into the dust, he'll be yet another soul to add to those I've already collected. But I'll do it to prove my worth to myself, not to you. Show me the way and I shall go." Turning to Hakon, Ozrik let's a smirk cross his face. "And now you can finally pay me back for saving your life when that wolf had you by the throat."

Nislen
2014-03-18, 08:51 PM
Hakon gulps and gives Ozrik a nervous nod. And the creature begins speaking words of power, and you all can feel the magical energies coming forth. As the creature finishes the spell, Martelli's blood on the altar begins to burn in a blue flame, casting dancing shadows on the walls of the sanctum. As the flame burns, he begins another spell, and as he speaks, the smoke begins to swirl in front of Ozrik, forming a large oval. As he finishes, Ozrik, you can look through the smoke into another place. You see a green field darkened under a storming sky, and the creature tells you, "Enter, and slay your foe."

Next he turns to Martelli and says, "You are indeed a descendant. I have hidden the children from the green beasts. You will find them in a secret room whose entrance is in the first room on your left as you leave here."

Looking to Eli now, "Summon the spirit named Tavir R'Hiim if you are willing. He will test your ability to learn control."

Roll and take the worst of 2 1d8 rolls in damage next chance you get.

Shyftir
2014-03-18, 09:13 PM
[roll0]

That's the damage. Also I did not mark XP for playing out my alignment, but I believe this qualifies all over the place.

theduck
2014-03-19, 09:24 AM
Does my character know how to summon the spirit?

Nislen
2014-03-19, 09:53 AM
Does my character know how to summon the spirit?

You ask the creature if the contact spirit spell you know will do, and it says that it would work for what he requires.
You have this spell prepared already. I will let the spirit stick around long enough to thoroughly answer your question.

⃞Contact Spirits - Level 1 - Summoning
Name the spirit you wish to contact (or leave it to the GM). You pull that creature through the planes, just close enough to speak to you. It is bound to answer any one question you ask to the best of its ability.

theduck
2014-03-19, 02:02 PM
Alright, let's get this over with

Lowering his head, a disquieting song fills Eli's mind. As the song reaches it's crescendo, Eli's eye shoot open.

Cast a spell [roll0]

Nislen
2014-03-19, 02:35 PM
As you (Eli) open your eyes, you see a mist forming to the right of the altar. Slowly the mist assembles into the form of a dwarf. He looks like most living, but gusts of air make his image sway - the only evidence now that a spirit and not flesh stand before you.

He is wearing a dark red robe with gold along the edges of the fabric. His long beard is braided, and he holds a crystal staff with a ruby at the top in his hand.

He looks around, taking in his surroundings. He looks at Eli and asks, "Why have I been summoned?"

Before you can answer, the Couatl answers, "These claim to be royal blood. This one is a user of magic. I have arranged a test for them. I must know whether he can learn to control his magic lest it control him."

The dwarf kept his gaze on you the entire time, examining you as if judging by sight whether you are worthy of his secrets. After what seems like minutes, he speaks again. "We shall see. Follow me. I am High Mage Tavir R'Hiim. What shall I call you?" He immediately exits the room, simply passing through the closed door. How do you respond?He walks through the main room to the second door on the left (from where you are - first on the right from the temple entrance). He turns to make sure you are following then passes through the door. It is a simple wooden door, showing some signs of wood-rot. When you try the door you find it locked. What do you do?

Martelli, what are you doing - following Eli? Going after children? Waiting on Ozrik to go and return? Other?

Ozrik, Hakon is ready, and he hands you his healing potion saying, "You may need this." Do you enter the portal?

Wargor
2014-03-19, 05:04 PM
Nodding his thanks, Ozrik stashes the potion with the rest in his belt pouch and readies his weapons, before striding forward into the portal.

Shyftir
2014-03-19, 05:40 PM
that thing you sent to me via PM [roll0]

Martelli, knowing that the children are safely hidden for the meantime, follows Eli in order to watch the wizards back while he undertakes the test.

Nislen
2014-03-19, 06:26 PM
Ozrik, you step onto the field, clouds darkening the sky. The portal closes behind you and Hakon. Lightning flashes in the clouds, briefly lighting the landscape. After a few moments, you see another portal open a stone's throw from you.

Out from the portal a creature emerges like you've never seen. It reminds you of a centaur. Torso, arms, and head of a human, but the body and legs are like a lion. It has wings attached where human meets lion. Instead of a lion's tail, whoever made this thing gave it the tail of a massive scorpion. He holds a long sword in his right hand with a strong grip.

As he emerges from the portal, he takes in his surroundings for a moment just as you did. Then he lays his eyes upon you and begins charging with his sword raised.

What do you do?

theduck
2014-03-20, 02:57 PM
I am called Eli

Raising an eyebrow at Martelli, Eli follows the apparition. When he comes to the locked door, Eli knocks twice. After waiting a moment, Eli gives a sigh and presses his right hand next to the lock.

cast a spell: [roll0]
magic missile into door: [roll1]

Nislen
2014-03-20, 03:16 PM
Which of the options are you taking for 7-9 on the roll?

theduck
2014-03-20, 03:30 PM
unwanted attention sounds fun

Nislen
2014-03-20, 04:01 PM
The spell goes off without a hitch ... And it is quite a sight. The lock melts away from the energy. Then the door itself bursts into flame, and Eli and Martelli watch as the door burns to ashes while smoke fills the rooms. Standing inside, Tavir stands looking quite upset.

"Yes, I'd hoped you would use magic, but that was a bit excessive. I'd appreciate it if you didn't burn my temple down. ...now come in, won't you?

As you enter the room, you see an old bookshelf filled with ancient times and scrolls. To the right are three desks, both still preserved very well over the ages. They both have a symbol written on the top of the desk in gold, and each is unique. The room itself is about the same size as the inner sanctum.

As you enter, Tavir instructs you, "Demonstrate your ability for me. Use your own spells, or search through the scrolls here...just don't burn anything else down, will you?" He then moves to stand beside one of the desks, watching you carefully. What do you do?

Shyftir
2014-03-20, 09:02 PM
Martelli takes up a post by the door watching alternately the hallway or the events inside the chamber.

Nislen
2014-03-21, 09:27 AM
Martelli, what do you think about Eli summoning this spirit?

theduck
2014-03-21, 10:11 AM
Not having the good sense to look ashamed at his spell's excess, Eli approaches the old bookshelf, leafing through the scrolls to see if there is anything interesting.

Nislen
2014-03-21, 10:31 AM
Eli approaches the old bookshelf, leafing through the scrolls to see if there is anything interesting.

Roll Discern Realities, and ask your questions based on the result. Also, you find easily [roll0] spell level worth of scrolls. What did you find?Yes, I'm letting you pick what scrolls you found. :smallsmile: Hopefully for your sake I rolled high. Your discern realities will be to find anything that would only be found by more thorough examination of the shelves.

theduck
2014-03-21, 01:34 PM
Eli takes a scroll of sleep, visions through time, and telepathy. Leafing through the other pages, he sees if the library has anything else to offer him.

Discern Realities: [roll0]

theduck
2014-03-21, 01:35 PM
What here is useful or valuable to me?

Wargor
2014-03-21, 02:18 PM
Ozrik smiles grimly as he takes in the sight of the enormous creature. Glancing at Hakon, he chuckles slightly. "Maybe now's the time to start praying for me." Words done, he steps forward and plants his feet firmly, shield raised and blade ready to strike, unmovable as a mountain.

Nislen
2014-03-21, 02:45 PM
Eli: You find another scroll, hidden behind some of the old tomes, most of which are impossible to read anymore. The scroll you pull out is a scroll of Polymorph. As you continue scouring over the ancient tomes, one in particular catches your eye - a red, leather bound volume entitled "The Compendium of Telepathy." You remember this was one of the more uncommon volumes in the third tower and guess it is worth about 50 coin.

As you finish searching the shelves, you remember that Tavir is waiting on you to show him your power. What do you do?

Ozrik: It sounds like you are defending your position and making an attack when it arrives. Roll Defend and Hack 'n' Slash.Assuming you get some hold to use from defend, you can use them retroactively to half damage if / when the creature damages you, but describe how you do so in the fiction. Also, you will only get to keep the hold while you defend that particular position.

Wargor
2014-04-01, 05:32 PM
Okay!
First of all Defend!
[roll0]

And Hack n' Slash
[roll1]

Shyftir
2014-04-02, 07:27 PM
Martelli, what do you think about Eli summoning this spirit?

Martelli finds the summoned spirit to be quite odd, but seeing as it speaks with a civil tongue and has a somewhat mild manner, feels no need to do anything about said oddness. He merely continues to keep an eye out for trouble with some slight impatience to get on to helping the villager children.

theduck
2014-04-03, 09:51 AM
Dragging his eye away from the tomes, Eli turns back to the spirit. After a moments consideration, Eli decides to try to show his power through something less destructive. Closing his eyes, he pictures blue spheres rotating around him, and another spell rises up in his mind.

Cast a spell: Prestidigitation [roll0]

theduck
2014-04-03, 10:45 AM
I guess I will forget the spell

Wargor
2014-04-03, 01:07 PM
Ozrik's steps forward, his blade snaking out as fast as a viper, cutting into the creatures left foreleg, leaving a crimson line of welling blood amidst golden fur. Stepping back, he raises his shield, ready to deflect any blows.

Damage!
[roll0]

And yes I'll halve any damage.

Nislen
2014-04-03, 01:55 PM
Eli: Tavir looks intently as you cast the spell, then as the spheres form, he cries out, "Yes! That's it! Quickly now, the magic is there in your mind. You must seize it now. Wrestle at it in your mind!

Roll+INT+1 to do so. What is it like trying to control the magic? (I'm assuming Eli hasn't tried this before, so how do you imagine this is happening in his mind?)

Ozrik: The beast cries out startled as you tear his leg open. As you do, he leaps to the air swinging down with his sword dealing you half of 1d10b2+3 (and subtract your armor). In the air, he circles a few times then begins diving at you from the darkened sky. It looks as if it intends to tackle and pin you down using its massive weight. What do you do?

Edit: I guess the syntax was wrong, and was posting from my phone, so I'll check it and repost in OOC.

theduck
2014-04-04, 04:44 AM
At the spirits words there is a separation of soul and spell, and for a moment Eli is painfully aware of the spells that are living in his mind. There is a sense of twisting as the catnip starts to leave his mind and he stains to grab it. The moment breaks, and vertigo overtakes him.

2d6+3

Nislen
2014-04-04, 08:28 AM
At the spirits words there is a separation of soul and spell, and for a moment Eli is painfully aware of the spells that are living in his mind. There is a sense of twisting as the catnip starts to leave his mind and he stains to grab it. The moment breaks, and vertigo overtakes him.

Eli, you have never known of another wizard to be able to recognize the distinctness of the magic in their mind like you did. You realize as you wrestle with the magic that "there are other workers of arcane magic, and the common folk may call them wizards, but they’re not like you. They don’t have the same abilities, though they may be similar." (Dungeon World Book)
The roll didn't go through, so roll again. Here are the results for each possibility. After grappling with the spell's essence, you bring it under your control. You can tell that if you had failed, even such a weak spell would have exerted some force on your conscience. Tavir looks at you, and sensing your victory he nods and says, "Descendent indeed. Melvinus bless you." And he immediately begins to fade from this realmAfter grappling with the spell's essence, you bring it under your control, but it has left an impression on your conscience. Your attention is easily distracted by bright colors around you. Tavir looks at you, and sensing your victory he nods and says, "Descendent indeed." He said something else, but one of the blue spheres crossed your vision and you begin imagining Tavir as if he had blue skin and robes. He said something else, but you missed it, then he immediately begins to fade from this realmYou grapple with the spell, but you can tell that this time, it has controlled you more than you it. Fortunately it was a weak spell, so the effects are not too strong. Tavir begins speaking; you know this. But there are so many colors! A blue sphere flies by. A bright red binding on that book over there. Martelli's armor - quite a gleaming silver isnt it? "Eli!" Tavir yells gaining your attention, "I see that you have the potential, but you must master it. Cast another spell then try to control the magic afterwards."

Wargor
2014-04-08, 01:44 PM
Ozrik grunts as the sword bites into his shield, the crushing force of the blow sapping his strength. Cursing loudly, Ozrik throws himself to the left, hoping to avoid the monsters aerial charge.

Defy Danger Dex?
[roll0]

Nislen
2014-04-08, 05:01 PM
Ozrik: You time the leap perfectly so that the beast crashes into the ground behind you. As you gain your feet, it seems to be a bit shaken as it tries to pull itself back up. You face his right side, and past him, you catch a glimpse of Hakon trembling in fear. What do you do?

Wargor
2014-04-09, 04:30 AM
"Pray for me priest!" Ozrik yells, charging forward shield raised, slamming it hard into the beast's side. He follows through with an overhead stroke of his sword, aiming for the creatures' wing joint.

Hack and slash?
[roll0]
[Roll]1d10[/roll

Nislen
2014-04-09, 07:36 AM
Eli and Martelli, now that the spirit is gone, what are you doing?

Nislen
2014-04-09, 09:22 AM
Ozrik, you bash into the creatures side, and unfortunately the impact snaps it out of its shakiness. As you swing your sword, it dodges to the side, and you feel a sharp pain in your right side. As you recover, you realize you now have the creature's venom coursing through your veins. You feel much weaker as the poison takes its hold.

The creature, knowing its poisonous strike landed, turns to face Hakon then begins confidently approaching the terrified cleric. The creature's back is to you now. What do you do?
You take half of [roll0]+3 and subtract your armor.

The venom has given you the "weak" debility, so you add a -1 to your STR rolls until it is cured.

Drinking a healing potion can instantly cure 10 hp -or- 1 debility, but if you drink now, you know Hakon will be attacked. If you choose to attack from behind, you don't have to roll Hack and Slash - you can just deal damage.

theduck
2014-04-09, 11:28 AM
Eli smiles, willing the spheres to change color. Everything seems more alive... vibrant... as he returns to the books, picking up the copy of the tome on teleportation. It was like he had never truly seen before, or felt, or... heard?

Martelli, my good man, do you hear the sound of combat?

Wargor
2014-04-09, 04:21 PM
Ozrik trembles slightly, limbs sapped of some of their strength. Gritting his teeth he starts towards the creature, before bursting into a run and thrusting his blade into it's exposed back.

[roll0]

Shyftir
2014-04-09, 05:40 PM
Martelli

No, Eli. But if your test is complete let us return to the creature's lair and see if our allies have also completed their tasks.

Nislen
2014-04-11, 07:07 AM
Ozrik, you deal the creature a massive blow as you sink your sword into its side, and you sense that it is nearing death. When you stab it, it lets out a massive shriek, and spins back to you. It is backing slowly away from both you and Hakon now, trying to stay out of reach of your sword, and you can see the scorpion tail pulled back, ready to strike as soon as you make any move. Hakon, however, seems to have snapped out of his fright when you saved his life and lifts his holy symbol, beginning to chant to his god.
When you help or hinder someone you have a bond with, roll+Bond with them. On a 10+ they take +1 or -2, your choice. On a 7–9 you also expose yourself to danger, retribution, or cost. Hakon is doing this. If his roll is over 7, you get +1 on your next roll.

[roll0]

Eli and Martelli, you make your way back to the inner sanctum where the Couatl is waiting. As you enter, he greets you saying, "Tavir tells me you passed your test. Your ally is still in the throws of battle. If you wish to explore other rooms in the temple for items that may be of use to you, you may do so. I will contact you when your friend returns. You may, of course, wait here if you wish."

What do you two want to do? There are three other doors in the main room you have not passed through yet.

Wargor
2014-04-11, 08:28 PM
The priest's chanting moved Ozrik deep inside, this man was praying for him, he could feel it. A grin begins to spread across his face as he stares down the bleeding, wounded beast. He once more shifts into his fighting stance, shield raised, blade poised to stride. "Come on beast, no pleas for mercy? I'll make this quick then, and then I'll wear your hide as a trophy!" With a roar, he charges forth, fully prepared for the poison sting he knew would be coming for him.

Defy Danger to dodge it?
[roll0]

And then if I manage it, my hack and slash!
[roll1]
[roll2]

Nislen
2014-04-12, 08:23 AM
Ozrik, as you charge forth, you see the stinger flash towards you. Stepping to the side and raising your shield, you manage to avoid the venomous sting, but some of your equipment is damaged. Moving past the sting threw off your momentum so that you could not land a blow on the beast. As you move past, you feel the bite of his sword across your back, and you take [roll0]+3. Your armor does absorb some of the damage, thankfully.

You now stand between Hakon and the beast, which turns to you and pounces into the air to try to pin you once more. ((Not flying, but lion-like pounce)) What do you do?

Because of the 7-9 Defy danger, you have a choice: Either your shield breaks and will be of no use until it is repaired, which you estimate would cost 4 coin (but is less armor until then) -OR- the stinger hits your pack, shattering one of the healing potions, which you know are worth 50 coin each. Which do you choose? Also, if your shield is damaged, its armor doesn't count for the blow you just took.

Wargor
2014-04-14, 04:42 AM
Ozrik can feel a wetness on his back, and knows that one of the expensive potions was broken. As the beast leaps into the air he charges forward, throwing himself to the ground beneath it, thrusting his blade upwards at it's exposed belly.

I'm guessing...

Defy Danger:
[roll0]

Hack and slash:
[roll1]
[roll2]

Nislen
2014-04-14, 08:22 AM
Firstly, to resolve the defy danger roll, here is your choice: You can have your sword knocked away and avoid any damage -OR- you can keep the sword, dealing your damage that you rolled, but you may take damage from the beast falling onto you.

Because the beast was not in a position to defend itself (he's leaping onto the sword), the hack n slash roll would not have been necessary if you choose to deal your damage. You can either save that roll for the next HnS if you want the xp or ignore that roll for xp purposes.

If you choose the second option, give me a defy danger + CON also (to see if you take damage or not).

Nislen
2014-04-14, 11:07 AM
Ozrik, as the creature comes down on you, you thrust your sword into its belly, causing hot blood to spray down on you. As it falls on you, you feel the weight press on you – it is heavier than it looked, but doesn’t cause any more damage to your already bleeding body. After a moment, you realize it is dead. You have slain your foe.

As you come out from under your corpse, Hakon runs up and exclaims, “Ozrik! You’re alive!” A portal opens near the two of you as the Couatl promised, ready to return you to the temple’s inner sanctum. What are you doing now?

Wargor
2014-04-14, 01:07 PM
"Was there any doubt?" Ozrik jokes as he pushes the corpse off himself. "Let's get out of here, then maybe you can have a word with your god about these wounds?" With that he steps through the portal.

Nislen
2014-04-15, 05:48 AM
Eli and Martelli, you see a portal open in the room, and shortly after, Hakon comes through. He is visibly shaken but unscathed as far as you can tell. A moment later, a bloody Ozrik steps through, and he looks to be in great pain. Immediately Hakon begins praying for the warrior.
you get the healing as long as he rolls 7+ to cast the spell. Spell cast: [roll0]
Amount healed: [roll1]

Then, the Couatl begins speaking once again. "It is true then. Each of you are descended from one of the kings of old. You have the right to what lies in this chest. Inside, there is a scroll that will help you find the treasure of the prophecy. When Atlan Dur was being overthrown, High Mage Tavir and each of the high servants for the other gods enchanted and hid a stock of items. One of the items hidden is meant to some day give a descendant of one of the kings the power he needs to restore the kingdom. Let us hope it is one of you."

He then slides back away from the chest allowing one of you to open it...

Nislen
2014-04-17, 05:48 AM
Hakon looks between the three of you, then says eventually, Well, I want to see what's inside at least." He walks over to the chest, keeping an eye on the Couatl to be sure there isn't some trick in his mind. Then he bends down and pulls up on the heavy lid, slowly lifting it. From over the rim, you all can see a shield leaning inside the trunk with what seems like a lion rampant emblazoned on it.

Hakon reaches down and pulls out a simple scroll, saying "This must be it. There's nothing else in there." He looks up at the Couatl, who gives a slight nod with his head, then Hakon takes the scroll back to the three of you to open and begin reading it...
I want this to be somewhat up to you all. So each of you answer one of the three questions below:
1. Where does the scroll say the prophesied treasure is hidden? (And how far is that from here?)
2. What tests or defenses does the scroll describe guarding the treasure?
3. The scroll holds some new details about the treasure - what did it say?