PDA

View Full Version : Will this work?

Kerilstrasz
2014-02-12, 09:57 AM
We take the head of a morning star.
We cast Shrink on it.
It reduces to about a pin head. (1/4000 volume and mass)
We also make it cloth like (so it will be soft)
We put like 10 of these into someone's food.
After he finishes eating we speak the trigger word (same for all items)
He dies for horrible internal (and external) injuries.

Will this work???

3,5 Edition

Deophaun
2014-02-12, 10:03 AM
Nope. And the reason is this...

It reduces to about a pin head.
...is wrong, unless you're using a very, very tiny morning star. It's 1/16th of its normal dimensions, so they're not going to be the size of a pin head. They will be noticeable.

Falcon X
2014-02-12, 10:21 AM
Notably, you could just cast Shrink on normal food for the same effect.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-02-12, 10:28 AM
Notably, you could just cast Shrink on normal food for the same effect.

Ideally, you would use something that is liquid, or uniform, like mashed taters. That way, the Shrunk food looks regular until it explodes to x16 the volume after consumption.

Big Fau
2014-02-12, 10:48 AM
You can't use the trigger word if you don't have LoE IIRC.

Kerilstrasz
2014-02-12, 11:27 AM
You can't use the trigger word if you don't have LoE IIRC.

Hmm.. it needs me to speak a word.
So my voice need to reach the object.
As you probably know, there are many many tests and studies that an unborn baby can hear the world around it's mother body. They even tell moms to play music to their bellies so the baby can hear.
With this as a fact (voice reaching into a human body) then i have LoE :smallsmile:

And yes.. maybe it's better to cast shrink on the food itself...

Segev
2014-02-12, 11:32 AM
Isn't shrink dispelled when the item suffers a sharp impact, so you can throw things to the ground to un-shrink them?

I think mastication would count.

So you have your murder when the thing expands to full size between his teeth and shatters his skull.

Big Fau
2014-02-12, 12:17 PM
Hmm.. it needs me to speak a word.
So my voice need to reach the object.
As you probably know, there are many many tests and studies that an unborn baby can hear the world around it's mother body. They even tell moms to play music to their bellies so the baby can hear.
With this as a fact (voice reaching into a human body) then i have LoE :smallsmile:

Nothing about that matters to LoE in D&D:

A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier. It’s like line of sight for ranged weapons, except that it’s not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight.

What you described was making a Listen check through a solid barrier, not removing a barrier to achieve LoE. the object being inside a living creature's stomach means you do not have line of effect.

Vogonjeltz
2014-02-12, 12:43 PM
Also when something can't fit because it was magically a different size, say because a big creature ate a small creature who then polymorphous into a big creature, they just get shunted next to whatever no longer fits.

Another method might be using an ingestion poison.

nedz
2014-02-12, 01:29 PM
Make a gigantic harpoon
Shrink it down to the size of a normal harpoon
Throw the harpoon, hit, and get it to impale the target
Speak the command word

In principle you could do this with an arrow; except, by RAW, ammunition is destroyed when it hits.