PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Character Idea

Callin
2014-02-12, 10:34 AM
So im getting into a Pathfinder game and was thinking of going with a Rogue/Magus. Starting lvl is 2 so I would be 1/1 then going Magus 2 then the rest Rogue.

Rolled stats are 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 17.

Using the Street Magician Arctype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/drop-dead-studios---rogue-archetypes/street-magician) and Urban Ninja (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/drop-dead-studios---rogue-archetypes/urban-ninja) for Spells and a Ki Pool. Magus is there to just spam Arcane Mark for an extra attack so I dont have to Dual Wield. Was going to pick up Piranha Strike at lvl 3 when I get Spell Strike or should I not... Getting Weapon Finesse and Combat Casting as my first level feats (going human). Combat Casting so I can actually make the DC of Casting Defensively with Spell Combat since my Caster Level will only be 2.

Was thinking about picking up just more spells or giving myself more uses of my spells from rogue with my Rogue Talents. Since spells>all. Was trying to basically just make it a decent T3 or at least a very high T4.

Dont think we are using any traits. Rest of the party is a Ranger/Cleric, Psy Warrior, Witch, and Gunslinger/Paladin (who may be leaving the party)

So critic and suggestions are appreciated. I really like the concept of a Stealthy Skill Focused Character with a Bit of Magic Ability and me and the Dm both really like the idea of this character and certain aspects of it. Pathfinder Suggestions Only Please.

(wow I was all over the place on typing this out wasnt I haha sorry)

edit: wish I could add Spire Defender but DM wants me to be keep it Roleplay sane or explain it off. Cant quite think of how to do that or different fluff for it.

Nibbens
2014-02-12, 10:50 AM
The Magus would mesh well with the Rogue. Heck, level 1 Vanish followed by a sneak attack would be enough to cause quite the headache.
Not to mention that spells can critically strike when cast through a magus. Taking some items that have a good crit chance (rapier comes to mind) and buff them later via Improved critical or Keen effects could be worth your time.
EDIT: The magus get's "spell strike" (to crit on his spells) at second level.

Callin
2014-02-12, 10:57 AM
Yea thats what I was thinking as well. So it seems I may be on the right track then.

Arc_knight25
2014-02-12, 10:59 AM
I would say forget the Rogue levels and just go full Magus. You can select spells that will make you more stealthy. All you will need is either Str or Dex for attacking and Int for spells. That's it. 2 good stats and the rest can be average.

Also the Magus arcana are great and I'm sure there are a few that can make you more sneaky.

Pathfinder is great because you can put skill points into any skill, you just don't get the +3 from it being a class skill. So you can still max out your Stealth skill.

You will have 2+int for skills (not as many as a rogue) so at lvl 1 with an 18 in Int you'll have 6 skill points, but with some Int boosting items you'll easily get it up to 8 skill points around lvl 4-6.

If your dead set on Rogue/Magus all you need to do is hit a DC 15 conc check for casting arcane mark. So CL2+Int mod+ 4 from combat casting= your conc check Mod.

Callin
2014-02-12, 12:03 PM
I was kind of wanting to stick more with the Rogue for the Skill Points and the less limited spell selection. Though yes I know the Rogue gets a TON less spells.

Bigbeefie
2014-02-12, 01:48 PM
I will be honest...Arcane Strike>Piranha strike. You get bonus to damage, go through DR, and Don't take the negatives. Yeah it costs a swift action but When you are running low on resources and don't have anything else to fit the swift action then it become golden.

I kind of like the Idea. If your going Dex as your main Physical attribute then I recommend Dervish Dance. It takes 2 skills in Perform dance but with a scimitar Using Dex for Attack and damage rolls you will get more out of stacking Dex.

So feats will look like Level 2 you take Weapon Finesse, Dervish Dance. Grab Combat casting at 3 and then Arcane strike for a bit more damage at 5.

If your Dex modifier is +5 (which it should be) then you will be hitting at level 5 something like this:

1d6+7 18-20/x2 With Sneak attack option of 2d6 and a Option of 2d6 Shocking grasp delivery.

Your not going to be pulling the biggest numbers but you will have some spike damage. I do not recommend this character if Going past level 13 though. As later he will be left in the dust and his lower tier Will really show and become more about staying alive then he is putting out the damage.

Callin
2014-02-12, 02:24 PM
Why do you say he is going to be falling behind later on? I also have no idea how long this game is going to go on or to what level it will reach.

I like the Arcane Strike Idea. I really dont have a use for my swift after I buff my sword and that fits the bill nicely.

I guess I really need to pick up Dervish Dance huh? That Dex to Damage is just too good to pass up on but I cant get it till lvl 3 or are you using some sort of retrain rules?

Edit: found out I can take 2 traits. If I take Magical Knack I could get rid of Combat Casting and then take Arcane Strike at lvl 3. Does that sound better or should I stick with Combat Casting?

Karoht
2014-02-12, 02:44 PM
I recommend Frigid Touch as well as Shocking Grasp.
Stagger (no save) an opponent means they get a move action or a standard action, not both. This means they can't full attack you in melee. Also can't attack your friends very well either.

Arc_knight25
2014-02-12, 03:04 PM
Frigid touch is great(touch attack 4d6 cold staggered 1 round no save. If you crit then it becomes 4d6 coldx2 and staggered becomes 1 minute), but its a lvl 2 spell. So he would need 4 levels in Magus.

Bigbeefie
2014-02-12, 03:06 PM
Why do you say he is going to be falling behind later on? I also have no idea how long this game is going to go on or to what level it will reach.

I like the Arcane Strike Idea. I really dont have a use for my swift after I buff my sword and that fits the bill nicely.

I guess I really need to pick up Dervish Dance huh? That Dex to Damage is just too good to pass up on but I cant get it till lvl 3 or are you using some sort of retrain rules?

Edit: found out I can take 2 traits. If I take Magical Knack I could get rid of Combat Casting and then take Arcane Strike at lvl 3. Does that sound better or should I stick with Combat Casting?

Basically In Pathfinder society play at level 2 you get to redo everything for free. Since your starting at 2 you will have 2 ranks in perform Dance thus you can actually use Dervish Dance. With RAW it is technically allowed.

If you don't to push the Written rules that far you can take it Level 3.

I recommend dropping combat casting if you can take magical Knack. Also for your 2nd trait maybe look at the trait Desperate focus to add +2 concentration checks. Dropping Combat casting could net you Arcane strike, Dervish dance, weapon finesse by level 3. At that point you could even stack Piranha Strike at 5 for More damage. Its all up to you really.

Also I say it will fall behind because in higher levels you will be fighting things you don't have answers for. Your messing with Level 3 and under spells as they are throwing Level 6+ spells at you and teleporting around the room staying out of melee with your group. Fights wont be as simple as get to them and cut them down anymore and that is when the Lower tier classes begin the fall from major contributors to Lacky for your Real Casters.