PDA

View Full Version : Computer Fallen London: Hello, Delicious Playgrounders

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Hydranova
2014-04-09, 04:17 PM
Maybe we should be burning all our Rubbery Amber? Beware the Elastic Menace!

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-09, 04:38 PM
I'm actually rather fond of the rubbery fellows.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-04-09, 05:33 PM
When that Relicker that gives you a gift comes by, the option for the one that has to do with Rubbery Men has that picture that looks a lot like Octodad. :smalltongue:

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-09, 09:38 PM
Man, the Gang of Hoodlums is expensive. 10,000 Rostygold AND 8 Uses of Villains?

rweird
2014-04-09, 09:49 PM
Man, the Gang of Hoodlums is expensive. 10,000 Rostygold AND 8 Uses of Villains?

Just 273 actions (if you decide to use War of Assassins for Uses of Villains) and 100 echoes. All PoSI items are expensive. Eventually you'll get used to it. It'd take a few days though. Welcome to the "End"game

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-09, 09:54 PM
My Clay Sedan Chair only cost about 100 echoes total. Joining the Parthenaeum wasn't too bad, either. The Gang of Hoolums is a considerable step up. Not the last step up, of course, but more than I was expecting.

I did love all the text involved, but that goes without saying.

In more interesting news: there's a new Venture in Veilgarden! And it looks to be the start of something longer...

Eldan
2014-04-10, 03:24 AM
Just 273 actions (if you decide to use War of Assassins for Uses of Villains) and 100 echoes. All PoSI items are expensive. Eventually you'll get used to it. It'd take a few days though. Welcome to the "End"game

Yeah. Welcome to the wonderful world of high level play, where you start to think in "Weeks of Grinding the same Storylet".

Hydranova
2014-04-10, 06:46 AM
From what I've heard though, third and fourth tier professions do give out PoSI stuff as daily rewards. All those Collated Research from Monster Hunting will no doubt be good Raven fodder.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-10, 08:46 AM
Ayup. The endgame, hopefully, will pick up once they've written more content (with better payoffs).

In more interesting news: there's a new Venture in Veilgarden! And it looks to be the start of something longer...
Is there, now? Well, I'm glad I just got home from zailing!

Ionbound
2014-04-10, 09:04 AM
Anybody doing anything with the Last Constable? Or is that too low-level for you people to get involved.

rweird
2014-04-10, 09:08 AM
Anybody doing anything with the Last Constable? Or is that too low-level for you people to get involved.

I sided with her, and then nothing happened, but a fair number of options with the criminals were blocked by favoring her. At the Feast of the Exceptional Rose, it is possible to get her as a companion, though it requires 40 masquing, and thusly is fate-locked.

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-10, 11:22 AM
I helped the Constable, too. She seemed like a good person. I still have her goldfish, if she ever comes back for it. But it does close off several options, including ever becoming Closest To the Criminals.

I got my Gang of Hoodlums! It wasn't that bad, after all. Now back to Mahogany Hall.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-10, 04:23 PM
I don't actually remember what happened with me and the Constable. But such is the case for a great many of my storylets.

On another note, I have the Slowcake's Amanuensis card in my hand. Does anyone need a boost to Notability 1?

Divayth Fyr
2014-04-10, 04:34 PM
On another note, I have the Slowcake's Amanuensis card in my hand. Does anyone need a boost to Notability 1?
I'd be grateful.

I have a problem with FL right now, I don't really know what to do - continue progressing in Mahogany Hall, grind for the PoSI stuff I already have available, continue investigating the Big Rat, fight a war, go to the zee for fun, go to the zee on an expedition? Too many choices, too little actions...

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-10, 04:51 PM
It is sent! Just make sure to generate a point of Making Waves each week, so as not to lose your Notability.

rweird
2014-04-10, 05:26 PM
I have a problem with FL right now, I don't really know what to do - continue progressing in Mahogany Hall, grind for the PoSI stuff I already have available, continue investigating the Big Rat, fight a war, go to the zee for fun, go to the zee on an expedition? Too many choices, too little actions...

Well, the answer is "yes", as eventually, you'll do all of it, for the order, that is your choice.

The war of assassins is a grind, it doesn't have much of an actual plot, but is repeatable over and over, useful to use to grind PoSI items though. For the others, I'd recommend doing one and sticking with it.

Divayth Fyr
2014-04-10, 05:31 PM
It is sent! Just make sure to generate a point of Making Waves each week, so as not to lose your Notability.
Thanks! I hope I'll remember - though seeing how I went to the zee forgetting I had Dramatic tension 1 and Casing 16 anything is possible...

The war of assassins is a grind, it doesn't have much of an actual plot, but is repeatable over and over, useful to use to grind PoSI items though. For the others, I'd recommend doing one and sticking with it.
Actually I forgot about that one (thefts in the Flit are another option) and by "war" meant the Rat Legion ;)

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-10, 07:32 PM
Thanks! I hope I'll remember - though seeing how I went to the zee forgetting I had Dramatic tension 1 and Casing 16 anything is possible...

Don't forget, you can always convert items to earn at least 1 CP of Making Waves. :smallsmile:

Hydranova
2014-04-10, 08:20 PM

Fortunatley, MW don't go down below 6.

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-10, 09:05 PM
Fortunatley, MW don't go down below 6.

You sure? Time, the Healer halves MW, and I'm pretty sure I remember going below 6 at some point.

Not that it's a problem, either way. With Notability 1, you only need a single change point: it'd be rather inconvenient to avoid. Several options I use reasonably frequently give ~5 CP just as an afterthought, and that's enough to last 2-3 weeks.

Hydranova
2014-04-10, 09:07 PM
I could've sworn I heard something about making Notability and/or MW have a minimum to go before it stops declining.

rweird
2014-04-10, 09:18 PM
I could've sworn I heard something about making Notability and/or MW have a minimum to go before it stops declining.

Mine has fallen below 6 at numerous occasions, though just through opportunity cards it is easy to keep it high enough.

Iruka
2014-04-11, 05:20 AM

I can't find it. Are there any requirements?

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-11, 07:26 AM
I can't find it. Are there any requirements?

Huh. It was something like 'New: Venture: Studying Tattoos: The Beginning.' Bronze border. I don't see it now.

EDIT: Further research (http://community.failbettergames.com/topic8046-venture-uncover-hidden-tattoos.aspx) reveals it was still unfinished, and had been released by accident.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-11, 08:51 AM
There's been a lot of different attempts at managing Notability/MW decay, until it stabilized...but I don't remember the history of it all.

Used to be that Notability decayed at 1 point per week, irregardless of how much MW you had. That was the circumstances I got my Correspondent profession under; SPAM ALL THE SUPPERS! I like that MW serves as a shield against Notability decay, now.

Luzahn
2014-04-11, 09:07 AM
Hm, this is unfortunate. I've reached the point where I can't reduce my Dangerous any lower for training. These last few levels will take a while...

I suppose being all moral about the Velocipede Squad wasn't the best idea. :smalltongue:

I don't suppose anybody has found a way to remove your Destiny item?

rweird
2014-04-11, 09:24 AM
I don't suppose anybody has found a way to remove your Destiny item?

I don't think that it is possible to do so (besides changing destinies with fate), like how Spouse, Club, and Ship can't be removed (without getting rid of the item entirely).

rweird
2014-04-11, 11:09 AM
Now my Making Waves just seems to drop a bit, not halve, when Time the Healer comes calling.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-11, 11:18 AM
P.S., I seem to have drawn Manny again, so if anyone needs a point of Notability to start themselves off, I'm offering.

Endless Query
2014-04-16, 07:23 PM
So, I've wandered my way down to Flute Street, took in the sights, discovered I'm going to have to come back eventually once I get further in Tigers, and came back with a stack of Extraordinary Implications, and... A Rubbery Skull which I can find absolutely nothing to do with. Anyone know the purpose of it? Or isn't there one?

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-16, 07:33 PM
I believe you can use the Rubbery Skull for research notes, when you begin a Scientific Voyage.

Endless Query
2014-04-17, 06:39 AM
Not to begrudge your answer, but I fear that isn't correct. While there is an item that can be used for that, to some noticeable benefit, it's not the Rubbery Skull. There are also ways to get that other item without going to Flute Street I believe, since info on it is freely available on the wiki meaning it isn't fate locked.

Hydranova
2014-04-17, 08:25 AM
There's something pretty amazing when you draw both the Visit Dr. Schlomo card AND the unsigned letter, allowing you to quickly pull Ammy.

On a side note, what are the chances that Mr. Eaten and the dead god of What the Thunder Said are related somehow?

Eldan
2014-04-17, 08:52 AM
References to Mr. Eaten do tend to show up in a lot of places. That said, I don't think I've seen said dead god.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-17, 09:06 AM
Not to begrudge your answer, but I fear that isn't correct. While there is an item that can be used for that, to some noticeable benefit, it's not the Rubbery Skull. There are also ways to get that other item without going to Flute Street I believe, since info on it is freely available on the wiki meaning it isn't fate locked.
Oh, whoops. >.<

Then, I haven't found a use for the Skull as of yet.

References to Mr. Eaten do tend to show up in a lot of places. That said, I don't think I've seen said dead god.
As I've heard, it's what happens when you have What the Thunder Said and lots of Stormy-Eyed.

rweird
2014-04-17, 02:00 PM
On a side note, what are the chances that Mr. Eaten and the dead god of What the Thunder Said are related somehow?

I doubt it, Mr. Eaten happened in Egypt, the second city, and the long-dead god, to my knowledge, is in the neath itself, and wasn't brought there at some time really. Also, Mr. Eaten is more connected to Death By Water than What the Thunder Said. Then again, he is in "‘bellies of the God-Eaters’", so…

Hydranova
2014-04-17, 03:31 PM
Mm. I was just wondering, since a Stormy-Eyed action is available on Mutton Island. Which reeks of Eatenness. Eatenosity?

Hiro Protagonest
2014-04-17, 03:32 PM
I got a Storm-Threnody from an expedition, is that what's needed to get Stormy-Eyed? I can't use it straight from my inventory though.

Eldan
2014-04-17, 03:45 PM
No. You just need to increase What the Thunder said, by dreaming about storms.

rweird
2014-04-17, 03:54 PM
Mm. I was just wondering, since a Stormy-Eyed action is available on Mutton Island. Which reeks of Eatenness. Eatenosity?

Yeah, I think they are probably unrelated.

hookbill
2014-04-18, 08:52 AM
hope not too late to the party...

hookbill

just getting into it, sounds fun.. going to try to play on my phone browser (dolphin) so I have more access to it.. anyone doing this?

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-18, 11:45 AM
Added. And one of these days, I'll start making a list of the people who want tutelage, are interested in particular social actions, etc...

Luzahn
2014-04-18, 11:49 AM
I don't suppose anybody is willing to take a few sparring bout actions? I'm currently in need of a bit more Dangerous.

rweird
2014-04-18, 11:55 AM
I don't suppose anybody is willing to take a few sparring bout actions? I'm currently in need of a bit more Dangerous.

I'd be fine with some sparing (nothing urgent to do with my actions). I have a dangerous of 211 with items, typically.

Luzahn
2014-04-18, 12:06 PM
Ah, excellent. I'm currently at 229 with items, but I'm after second chances more than making waves, so I can drop the score down a bit if you'd like.

rweird
2014-04-18, 01:51 PM
Ah, excellent. I'm currently at 229 with items, but I'm after second chances more than making waves, so I can drop the score down a bit if you'd like.

Doesn't matter. I accepted the four and we seemed to win 50/50.

Eldan
2014-04-18, 03:25 PM
Interesting. I finally grabbed the option on the Unsigned Message that lets you increase a stat past 200. It gives an interesting, if short, snippet of text about the Bazaar.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-18, 04:09 PM
Really, now! (I should've expected that, what with Notability.)

I was saving Notability for when the next tier of professions come out...but that sounds interesting.

Also, I'm currently pondering doing a Let's Play or something when I get the beta of Sunless Sea (I was a Kickstarter backer). I can only anticipate good things...

(Except, I need to finish at least one readthrough/playthrough of Steins;Gate first...)

Endless Query
2014-04-20, 11:13 AM
Oh, and for anyone whose sufficiently along in the game (particularly with a high shadowy) looking to just farm for Echoes, I know it was remarked that Mahogany Hall is good at 1-1.02 Echoes a go, a page a or two back, but anyone with access to A Boxful of Intrigue should know that (at least as a Conscience of the Empire, I'd need to check if there's a similar benefit as a Guardian of the Realm) you can reach about 1.64 Echoes an action by scoring Mourning Candles (Worth 20 Echoes) and 6 Correspondence Plaques (Worth 3 Echoes) in 14 actions (Obviously less effective the higher your failure chance, though you still get the Correspondence Plaques when you fail any of those 3 checks so that can stabilize your intake a little). It has the downside of easily ratcheting up your Suspicion if you don't have a good success chance, but I'm not sure I've found a better way to get Echoes reliably in the entire game.

rweird
2014-04-20, 11:54 AM
Oh, and for anyone whose sufficiently along in the game (particularly with a high shadowy) looking to just farm for Echoes, I know it was remarked that Mahogany Hall is good at 1-1.02 Echoes a go, a page a or two back, but anyone with access to A Boxful of Intrigue should know that (at least as a Conscience of the Empire, I'd need to check if there's a similar benefit as a Guardian of the Realm) you can reach about 1.64 Echoes an action by scoring Mourning Candles (Worth 20 Echoes) and 6 Correspondence Plaques (Worth 3 Echoes) in 14 actions (Obviously less effective the higher your failure chance, though you still get the Correspondence Plaques when you fail any of those 3 checks so that can stabilize your intake a little). It has the downside of easily ratcheting up your Suspicion if you don't have a good success chance, but I'm not sure I've found a better way to get Echoes reliably in the entire game.

The Guardian of the Realm doesn't have an option to give the Correspondence Plagues, or similar items, making it give 3 fewer echoes per 14 actions.

It is one of the most effective ways that I know of, the only more effective being the War of Assassins for a Collection of Curiosities, to trade with the Tomb Colonists for 5 Puzzling Maps, which gives 62.5 echoes/35 actions (about 1.78 per action), though has the drawback of having to draw the Connected: Tomb Colonists card to perform the final trade.

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-20, 12:48 PM
It is one of the most effective ways that I know of, the only more effective being the War of Assassins for a Collection of Curiosities, to trade with the Tomb Colonists for 5 Puzzling Maps, which gives 62.5 echoes/35 actions (about 1.78 per action), though has the drawback of having to draw the Connected: Tomb Colonists card to perform the final trade.

I think Fidgeting Writer comes out ahead in the long run, but it's a bit unreliable unless you're doing it a thousand times in a row. Which you might, if you're going for a Goat or, heaven help you, the Cider. Though if you're actually looking for a particular item, it's almost always best to go for it directly. The Bazaar's rates are steep.

The cool thing about Mahogany Hall, at least in the mid-game, is that failures don't increase a menace. That increases profits by a little, and decreases headaches by a lot, at least for me. I've moved on, now, but I spent a while there because of that.

Luzahn
2014-04-20, 01:04 PM
I have just achieved 200 in Dangerous, and will now be accepting students into my secret martial academy.

Please apply if you have a burning thirst for justice/vengeance against any of the following:

Hell, and associated devils

The Masters

The Bazaar

The Fingerlords

Assorted terrestrial monsters

Assorted zee-monsters

The Criminals

Rats

Tragic origin story optional, but preferred.

- Martin Axton

(Sidenote: I have just realized that my character is an Owlbear. :smalltongue:)

Eldan
2014-04-20, 02:27 PM
Hah! By that logic, Professor Blake is an owlfox.

I think I'm taking a break from Fallen London. It's probably been months since I've seen anything that's both new and substantial and I'm thoroughly sick and tired of grinding.

Luzahn
2014-04-20, 02:58 PM
Hah! By that logic, Professor Blake is an owlfox.

I think I'm taking a break from Fallen London. It's probably been months since I've seen anything that's both new and substantial and I'm thoroughly sick and tired of grinding.

I've pretty much exhausted things myself; I was pushing for my 200-level before just responding to invitations.

I'm hoping Sunless Sea comes with some new Unterzee locations for Fallen London itself.

rweird
2014-04-20, 03:19 PM
With, I'm typically a Cat-Fox… That doesn't sound nearly as cool as an Owlbear. I too am just grinding away. Trying to to see the average profit of unfinished business (never can steal too many souls).

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-22, 07:05 AM
Wow. Uh, did anyone know it was possible to find the Starveling Cat in a Bundle of Oddities?

Twice in a row?

Hiro Protagonest
2014-04-22, 11:37 AM
Well, I did find an action that rolls two of your stats, an Airs-based one in the Forgotten Quarter.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-22, 01:00 PM
Wow. Uh, did anyone know it was possible to find the Starveling Cat in a Bundle of Oddities?

Twice in a row?
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :smalleek:

(Also, my character is currently a catfox, based on the stats I've maxed out.)

rweird
2014-04-22, 01:56 PM
Jade Dragon: In getting a Majestic Pleasure Yacht, you play a card game that is a Watchful, Persuasive, and Luck challenge too. Things like that are rare, but not unheard of.

Eldan
2014-04-22, 02:24 PM
Why would you get a Yacht, if you could get that wonder of Neathly engineering, the Zubmarine?

rweird
2014-04-22, 02:38 PM
Why would you get a Yacht, if you could get that wonder of Neathly engineering, the Zubmarine?

Because a Yacht gives +2 Respectable, and a Zubmarine gives +1 Bizarre.

Eldan
2014-04-22, 02:51 PM
True, but I can't really remember ever needing all that much of either stat.

rweird
2014-04-22, 02:51 PM
True, but I can't really remember ever needing all that much of either stat.

Easier Notability gain.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-22, 03:22 PM
Though, I do personally endorse the Zee-Clipper for maximum zoom-zoom-zailing.

Hydranova
2014-04-22, 04:08 PM
Bah, only cowards use the Clipper and Zubmarine, and nobody worth respecting rides in a Yacht! A TRUE Hunter uses a Steam Trunker, because those monsters need every advantage they can get!

Eldan
2014-04-22, 04:17 PM
*Pulls off glove*

Did you just insult the noble Aturia and call Dr. Blake a coward?

I do think this calls for a duel. Infernal sharpshooter rifles under the first false-star.

Hydranova
2014-04-22, 04:21 PM
If it weren't for the fact that it is nigh-impossible to engage a zee-monster in battle while submerged due to those damnable drownies then my complaints with the Zubmarine would be nonexistent. Though, perhaps if one were able to rig up a dueling chamber....hmm.

Eldan
2014-04-22, 04:30 PM
Far ahead of you. I'm currently working on a prototype for an underwater duelling suit for gentlemen:

http://www.fishermensvoice.com/images/1206rapture1.jpg

With it, I will finally catch the elusive vampire eel.

Hydranova
2014-04-22, 04:41 PM
...good sir, if you ever need a volunteer to test that thing look no further.

rweird
2014-04-22, 05:39 PM
At least one of you obviously has a very high persuasive score.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-23, 08:23 AM
New Veilgarden content is up! (http://community.failbettergames.com/topic8178-dabbling-in-the-great-game.aspx)

Designed for the benefit of dousing new players in the Great Game, but new lore is new lore!

Hydranova
2014-04-23, 12:52 PM
Dagnabbit, and I'm returning home from the Grunting Fen! At least my Journey's end is at 8.

Update: Hahahahah, and the University thought they could rid themselves of I, Ernst "Hydranova" Fabwich!

WinWin
2014-04-23, 04:20 PM
I just signed. Username: Bloody Lizzie

Eldan
2014-04-23, 04:28 PM
Dagnabbit, and I'm returning home from the Grunting Fen! At least my Journey's end is at 8.

Update: Hahahahah, and the University thought they could rid themselves of I, Ernst "Hydranova" Fabwich!

You too? Publication so good they had to take you back? We should found a club.

What did you write yours on, Mr. Fabwich?

rweird
2014-04-23, 04:58 PM
You too? Publication so good they had to take you back? We should found a club.

Me as well. I still want further revenge though, not just grudging acceptance.

Hydranova
2014-04-23, 06:13 PM
Oh, just an analysis of the Pygmy Plated Seal. Behaviors, diets, interspecies variations, that stuff.

So uh, how exactly do I get back to doing the "Term Passing..." Events?

Eldan
2014-04-23, 06:16 PM
Oh, just an analysis of the Pygmy Plated Seal. Behaviors, diets, interspecies variations, that stuff.

So uh, how exactly do I get back to doing the "Term Passing..." Events?

I think you still don't get them. If you can, I still haven't found out how.

I wrote a thesis on the patterns of storms one encounters when travelling and why htey always get worse the closer one is from one's destination. Though I have no conclusive proof, I postulate it is due to a creature living in storm clouds that is attracted to the breath of sailors who haven't eaten enough acidic fruit.

Hydranova
2014-04-24, 09:25 AM
So, I've got a Volume of Cryptopaeleontological Work. What do I do with that?

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-24, 09:37 AM
So far, I haven't found any use for those. They are, quite literally, souvenirs.

Eldan
2014-04-24, 09:38 AM
Yeah. You can probably sell them? I don't know, I have a small stack of scientific works.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-24, 10:09 AM
Yeah. You can probably sell them? I don't know, I have a small stack of scientific works.
Not from what I can tell. I did a complete sweep of the "Sell My Things" tab in the Bazaar. Same thing for the epic poetries I concocted during my time at the Shuttered Palace.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-04-24, 11:25 AM
So I'm trying to get echoes for a Devilish Fedora (or for the Monocle that's a bit cheaper), and uh, I have a Dreadful Surmise worth 312.50. As the selling price. I can't use it in my inventory, but I have a feeling I shouldn't sell that.

Edit: Oh, and are Unearthly Fossils good for anything or can I just sell them all?

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-24, 11:54 AM
I would never sell a 312.50E item unless I had a duplicate. And even then, I'm not planning on selling my extra Starstone Demark. I suspect they'll come in handy.

Eldan
2014-04-24, 11:59 AM
I mainly keep mine because I'm a compulsive collector. But then, I gave away my M _ _ _ _ _'s B_ _ _ d in a trade.

Still working on that, by the way. I have 3 of the necessary 7 tears and a stack of Airag.

rweird
2014-04-24, 02:02 PM
I mainly keep mine because I'm a compulsive collector. But then, I gave away my M _ _ _ _ _'s B_ _ _ d in a trade.

Still working on that, by the way. I have 3 of the necessary 7 tears and a stack of Airag.

I have all the tears I need to make the trade, and one more besides, but still am unsure if such a trade is wise. Still, a second 1562.5 echo item is good.

Fortuna
2014-04-25, 05:18 AM
Hello, most excellent friends. I, Random_Person, or RandomEntity as I am sometimes known, have been occupied in improving my position in London for the past few months, and have made some progress. But what is mere material advancement as compared to the discovery of mysteries, eh? And as to that, I've made some little investigations of my own.

The mystery that has driven me to join this gathering is one that I'm sure personages of your own self-evidently eminent status will already have met and resolved, but alas, my feeble mind is not equal to the task. No doubt the letter unsigned but so weightily sealed was scarce more than a moment's diverting trifle to your keen intellects, but alas, I am not equal to the task of deciphering the undoubtedly trivial question of that author's most diverting choice of words that seem to me to belong not to our own English tongue, but to some stillborn twin - 'delicirent' and 'encade' being so obviously parallel to our much-loved 'delicious' and 'cascade', yet having meanings that glide close and then diverge.

I would, naturally, be most grateful were some person whose notability as yet has not left them without time to address those so much less important as I am to enlighten me as to the meaning of this curious parallel.

-RE

Eldan
2014-04-25, 06:17 AM
These words belong to that Master most logifabrious and claviferous, Mr. Pages. In general, we labour under the assumption that this esteemtatious personage operates on abysmal planes of loquivalence far remote from those timidific shores of the English tongue we mere humans bedwell.

I'd recommend that you not obstacudate and reply hasteworth without esquivalience.

D20ragon
2014-04-25, 08:18 AM
Greetings, salutations, hello, and so forth and so on.
I joined Fallen London rather recently, and would appreciate any help you... delicious people have to offer!
I can always use more contacts, but advice is good too!
Sorry if this is obnoxious.
*tips hat in a somewhat apologetic manner*
Oh, by the by, the usernames Devereaux Wyrd. (http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Devereaux~Wyrd)

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-25, 08:49 AM
I just signed. Username: Bloody Lizzie

Hello, most excellent friends. I, Random_Person, or RandomEntity as I am sometimes known, have been occupied in improving my position in London for the past few months, and have made some progress. But what is mere material advancement as compared to the discovery of mysteries, eh? And as to that, I've made some little investigations of my own.

Greetings, salutations, hello, and so forth and so on.
I joined Fallen London rather recently, and would appreciate any help you... delicious people have to offer!
I can always use more contacts, but advice is good too!
Sorry if this is obnoxious.
*tips hat in a somewhat apologetic manner*
Oh, by the by, the usernames Devereaux Wyrd. (http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Devereaux~Wyrd)
Welcome to all of you! I've added you to the intro post, because it doesn't do for one to lose track of everyone who's posted. Don't mind the Sorrow-Spiders clinging to the thread. If you need assistance, don't hesitate to ask! (And one of these days, I'll go through and send Acquaintance requests to all of you.)

Eldan
2014-04-25, 09:13 AM
As mentioned, feel free to contact "Doctor Eldan Blake" at any time. I'm not really playing actively anymore, but I can still be a patron for anyone new to the Neath and train them in Watchfulness.

Oh, and from Mr. Wyrd's mantlepiece, it seems he has ambitions for the Marvellous. If, at any point, you need to acquire 77 of a certain rare and very annoying item, tell me and I'll mail you 30.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-25, 09:22 AM
Ditto on the 77 Things. I have way too many of them.

Luzahn
2014-04-25, 09:26 AM
For the record, I can train in Dangerous as well.

Eldan
Ditto. Over 200. At the time, I remember cursing for weeks, while scratching and scrabbling to get them one by one over weeks.

D20ragon
I'll be sure to do that! Thanks! :smallbiggrin:
EDIT: Oh, those subterranean victorian era ninjas....

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-25, 09:29 AM
Just added a Trainers section to the post. Is anyone else a trainer?

Luzahn
2014-04-25, 09:48 AM
I'll be sure to do that! Thanks! :smallbiggrin:
EDIT: Oh, those subterranean victorian era ninjas....

Knight of torch and flintlock, sir. Scourge of sin and seeker of secrets.

(:smalltongue:)

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-25, 10:38 AM
Ratskin rogue, crafty Correspondent, spidersilk sneak!

Hydranova
2014-04-25, 11:58 AM
Hunter of the Cross, Delver of Murky Deeps, Devil-fighter!

D20ragon
2014-04-25, 12:19 PM
As mentioned, feel free to contact "Doctor Eldan Blake" at any time. I'm not really playing actively anymore, but I can still be a patron for anyone new to the Neath and train them in Watchfulness.

Oh, and from Mr. Wyrd's mantlepiece, it seems he has ambitions for the Marvellous. If, at any point, you need to acquire 77 of a certain rare and very annoying item, tell me and I'll mail you 30.

Ditto on the 77 Things. I have way too many of them.

Indeed, it seems I must request the aid which you two so kindly offered.
My monkey just doesn't do the trick, it seems.

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-25, 01:45 PM
I'm always happy to help out, too. I've only been playing ~three months, so I can't do half as much as the real veterans, but don't hesitate to ask.

I've got exactly 31 of the Things (traditionally sent in batches of 30). I'd send 'em, but I think that's been covered.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-25, 01:47 PM
I've sent my 30. :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2014-04-25, 01:48 PM
So did I. Tenchar.

D20ragon
2014-04-25, 01:55 PM
I'm always happy to help out, too. I've only been playing ~three months, so I can't do half as much as the real veterans, but don't hesitate to ask.

I've got exactly 31 of the Things (traditionally sent in batches of 30). I'd send 'em, but I think that's been covered.

Actually, I'd quite appreciate it. I'm still a few short....

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-25, 02:43 PM
Actually, I'd quite appreciate it. I'm still a few short....

Oh, all right, then. Sent. And good luck.

Divayth Fyr
2014-04-25, 03:00 PM
I was going to offer to send some of the... Things if anyone needs them, but it seems that I've already sent most of what I had to others (leaving me with 14) - I guess that won't be an option in the foreseeable future...

But if anyone would want some Notability to kickstart them, I have a spare point and the apropriate card in hand.

Also, I have to say that while I'm looking forward to the Sunless Sea, right now I hate it - since it eats up our weekly snippets of content...

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-25, 03:01 PM
By the by, if you have an Eyeless Skull, you're now able to sell it at the Bazaar...for 30 echoes. So, not even half the price that the Radical Factotum is willing to take it for...but selling it to the Bazaar doesn't advance the Liberation of Night. For those who mind.

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-25, 03:22 PM
By the by, if you have an Eyeless Skull, you're now able to sell it at the Bazaar...for 30 echoes. So, not even half the price that the Radical Factotum is willing to take it for...but selling it to the Bazaar doesn't advance the Liberation of Night. For those who mind.

Hmm... I've been avoiding advancement so far, but it's never cost me 30 echoes before. On the other hand, this sort of suggests advancing Liberation isn't just a quick throw-away line. Or that it won't be, some day.

Not that I have an eyeless skull, at the moment.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-25, 03:28 PM
It's certainly ominous. Very ominous. I've heard some people speculate that it might somehow be a shared quality that's being advanced for the entire game. :smalleek:

(Or maybe not. Who knows?)

I'm equally curious as to what "Adrift on a Sea of Misery" does. It gets raised by certain acts of altruism, but hasn't unlocked anything...yet.

Luzahn
2014-04-25, 03:35 PM
I had assumed that it just represented that our acts of kindness ultimately amount to nothing; It's a quality that can never change.

(Fallen London is a bad place. :smallfrown:)

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-25, 03:48 PM
I had assumed that it just represented that our acts of kindness ultimately amount to nothing; It's a quality that can never change.

(Fallen London is a bad place. :smallfrown:)

I always thought it was a really hopeful message. "Nothing seems any different, but perhaps, just perhaps, you've made the world a tiny bit better," sort of thing. Made me smile, first time I saw it. I always give whatever I can when the Soft-Hearted Widow comes around.

The Stolen Kisses don't hurt, of course. Got to finance my Salon somehow.

rweird
2014-04-25, 04:30 PM
I am a patron in the Shadowy arts if anyone is interested (Mr. Wyrd).

I doubt the Liberation of Night would be a shared quality, as it may destroy the neath for all if advanced enough, and the story can be different for each one, though I think it may do something (the idea that it changes the level of challenges is one I find interesting).

Fortuna
2014-04-25, 04:39 PM
These words belong to that Master most logifabrious and claviferous, Mr. Pages. In general, we labour under the assumption that this esteemtatious personage operates on abysmal planes of loquivalence far remote from those timidific shores of the English tongue we mere humans bedwell.

I'd recommend that you not obstacudate and reply hasteworth without esquivalience.

...you'll pardon me, good doctor, but your answer in my feeble mind raises only further questions. Firstly, it seems to my regrettably lacking linguistic acumen that you suggest that the estimable Mr. Pages bears a blunt instrument as a matter of course, which was not previously obvious to me. And second, it seems to me that the answer, such as it is, only sets the question to a greater remove. It seems to me that the words so carefully chosen were, ah...

Oh, sod it. I can't keep up that nonsense for all my conversation in this thread. Anyway. Point being, I come to wonder why Mr. Pages uses words like that. It seems liable to be important somehow.

Eldan
2014-04-25, 04:43 PM
I have no idea, really. It seems that Kennedy, the game's main writer, just enjoys using exotic words and occasionally has a laugh while writing Mr. Pages. It is responsible for all manners of writing, after all.

Fortuna
2014-04-25, 04:43 PM
Also, what's the easiest four-card Lodgings to acquire? I've got three cards sitting in my hand that I want to save until I can usefully use them, and it's annoying.

Eldan
2014-04-25, 04:44 PM
I think the Bazaar is still the only one, isn't it?

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-25, 04:46 PM
Four-card lodging, not five-card. :smallsmile:

I honestly don't know. It's been ages since I checked. (I just wound up getting them all, save the Brass Embassy Lodging, because I don't feel like harvesting a bevy of souls to deliver to Hell. Y'know.)

Fortuna
2014-04-25, 04:53 PM
Oh well. I'll keep on working towards the Embassy room, then.

Divayth Fyr
2014-04-25, 04:59 PM
Looking at these (http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Regas?fromEcho=10) profiles (http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Parthenia?fromEchoId=3260295), I don't think so.

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-25, 05:08 PM
Also, what's the easiest four-card Lodgings to acquire? I've got three cards sitting in my hand that I want to save until I can usefully use them, and it's annoying.

I got the Brass Embassy one, and well before I became a PoSI, too. It wasn't too bad. Some time in the last month they increased the Bazaar price, though: it only cost me 1000 brilliant souls, not 1250. Now the Hell opportunity card actually gives a discount.

On the other hand, I'm currently grinding Watchful with the University porters. I'll probably have 80,000 whispered secrets by the time I'm done, and that's just a side bonus.

EDIT: There are three 4-card lodgings, all available at Penstock's. They can be gotten other places at a slight discount, however. My Brass Embassy Guest Room Key also shows an option to move up (down?) to an Inner Sanctum, but it requires "An Infernally Diplomatic Privilege," which sounds expensive. I think the other two 4-card lodgings present similar opportunities.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-04-25, 05:14 PM
I need to find a good place to grind Whispered Secrets for someone with less than 100 in every stat. Only reliable one I can think of is cat-catching, and that's not really a good ratio.

Divayth Fyr
2014-04-25, 05:18 PM
I need to find a good place to grind Whispered Secrets for someone with less than 100 in every stat. Only reliable one I can think of is cat-catching, and that's not really a good ratio.
If you are able to do the investigation in the University, talking to the porters gives you 108 and a Sudden Insight at the cost of 25 cryptic clues. If you have access to the Court, Attending courtly functions gives 83 and Connected:Society. Can't really think of anything else right now.

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-25, 05:21 PM
If you are able to do the investigation in the University, talking to the porters gives you 108 and a Sudden Insight at the cost of 25 cryptic clues. If you have access to the Court, Attending courtly functions gives 83 and Connected:Society. Can't really think of anything else right now.

I used "Getting to Know the Flit" when I started funding my first Expedetions in the Quarter. ~70 per action, if I recall. Attending courtly functions is better, though, if you don't mind the trip to Court.

Eldan
2014-04-25, 05:46 PM
Four-card lodging, not five-card. :smallsmile:

I honestly don't know. It's been ages since I checked. (I just wound up getting them all, save the Brass Embassy Lodging, because I don't feel like harvesting a bevy of souls to deliver to Hell. Y'know.)

What? I live in the bazaar, it only allows me four cards. What am I missing here?

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-25, 05:55 PM
What? I live in the bazaar, it only allows me four cards. What am I missing here?

You have Premises at the Bazaar (http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Doctor~Eldan~Blake). CarpeGuitarrem has his own Spire-Emporium (http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/playersideblog). No idea who he had to bribe, but I'm sure it was considerable.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-25, 06:08 PM
You have Premises at the Bazaar (http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Doctor~Eldan~Blake). CarpeGuitarrem has his own Spire-Emporium (http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/playersideblog). No idea who he had to bribe, but I'm sure it was considerable.
There was this fellow named Penstock, see...

Fortuna
2014-04-25, 06:16 PM
Hmm. Is there any faster way to grind brilliant souls and muscaria brandy than thefts of particular character? I'm presently figuring on about one haul every fourteen actions, since I can't get my Shadowy above 114 at present, and that comes out by my figures to 12.5/14=89 pence per action, or thereabouts, in sell price (double that, obviously, in purchase price). Any recommendations?

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-25, 06:59 PM
Hmm. Is there any faster way to grind brilliant souls and muscaria brandy than thefts of particular character? I'm presently figuring on about one haul every fourteen actions, since I can't get my Shadowy above 114 at present, and that comes out by my figures to 12.5/14=89 pence per action, or thereabouts, in sell price (double that, obviously, in purchase price). Any recommendations?

Don't think so, sorry. Human souls are harder to find lying around than whispered secrets. You can grind 'em in Spite, but factoring in failure rates makes less efficient. Stealing from the Brass Embassy gets you a bunch, but you'll want to be sure you don't fail, so it's rarely worthwhile. And you're not going to make enough money elsewhere for buying from the Bazaar to be worth it, either. But it's only 700 actions, probably closer to 600 if you use the Hell discount. Less than a week, and you don't have to do it all at once.

When I got mine, a little over a month ago, my highest stat was in the 60s. With equipment. I just kept tracking down spirifers, 28 souls an action, 28 souls an action...

Don't do that.

Fortuna
2014-04-25, 07:03 PM
Don't think so, sorry. Human souls are harder to find lying around than whispered secrets. You can grind 'em in Spite, but factoring in failure rates makes less efficient. Stealing from the Brass Embassy gets you a bunch, but you'll want to be sure you don't fail, so it's rarely worthwhile. And you're not going to make enough money elsewhere for buying from the Bazaar to be worth it, either. But it's only 700 actions, probably closer to 600 if you use the Hell discount. Less than a week, and you don't have to do it all at once.

When I got mine, a little over a month ago, my highest stat was in the 60s. With equipment. I just kept tracking down spirifers, 28 souls an action, 28 souls an action...

Don't do that.

As I figure, with what I have already and the Hell discount it's coming out to a smidgen under 500 actions, which is to say about three days straight. Oh well. Hooray for my first grind? :smallsigh:

WinWin
2014-04-25, 08:42 PM
I don't suppose that any of you ladies and gents has a few thousand rats just laying about spare, gathering dust?

Poor Lizzie's on the hunt and she 'aint got nought but a pocket full of dreams and her Chelsie Grin. She needs to see a man about a map, but getting into the Labyrinth is turning out to be a chore.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-04-25, 08:46 PM
I don't suppose that any of you ladies and gents has a few thousand rats just laying about spare, gathering dust?

Poor Lizzie's on the hunt and she 'aint got nought but a pocket full of dreams and her Chelsie Grin. She needs to see a man about a map, but getting into the Labyrinth is turning out to be a chore.

I used to, but I exchanged them for Rostygold because it has a better echo exchange rate. Then I sold it for echoes. :smalltongue:

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-25, 09:02 PM

Tried rat-hunting at the Department of Menace Eradication? (Watchmaker's Hill)

Hydranova
2014-04-25, 09:17 PM
I used to get a bunch of rats wot with a job the Dockworkers gave me.

WinWin
2014-04-25, 09:22 PM
Aye, 'tis my current venture. It's easier than chasing cats, but it's dreary work nontheless. No sport in the hunt.

Still, Lizzie 'aint afraid of getting grubby if it'll take her where she wants to go.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-04-25, 09:42 PM
I used to get a bunch of rats wot with a job the Dockworkers gave me.

Yeah, you get a bunch of them as a Rat-Catcher. That's where I got mine.

Hydranova
2014-04-25, 10:42 PM
Also, feel free to add myelsf, Mr. Ernst "Hydranova" Fabwich (just the Hydranova part mind you), Professional Stalker on behalf of the Church.

D20ragon
2014-04-25, 10:44 PM
I took the liberty of starting a Fallen London roleplay recruitment thread Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?344474-Fallen-London-Welcome-Delicious-Gamer)
So come take a look, delicious friends.

rweird
2014-04-25, 10:50 PM
D20ragon: I offered you patronage, though I feel the need to ask if your Shadowy is under 100, as you did not appear as an option to tutor.

D20ragon
2014-04-25, 11:01 PM
Yes, my shadowy is not high at all. :smallredface:
I did accept your patronage though, I believe.

rweird
2014-04-25, 11:06 PM
Yes, my shadowy is not high at all. :smallredface:
I did accept your patronage though, I believe.

Do you have any free evenings (Time came a few hours ago for me, though from what I can tell, its different for different people)?

On another note, I've gotten Muscaria Brandy 3 times in a row from my surprise package from the Unsigned Message… Interesting…

Fortuna
2014-04-26, 04:53 AM
So I've decided to grind up my Casing first, and then spend it all on loads of thefts (both for aesthetic reasons and because having a higher Shadowy helps more with the thieving part than the building up Casing part). By my reckoning my Casing is going to get into the forties. So that should be amusing.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-26, 08:24 PM
Don't most of the thefts spend all of your Casing?

(However, selling information just spends a little bit at a time...)

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-26, 08:59 PM
Don't most of the thefts spend all of your Casing?

The big ones definitely do - robbing the Bazaar or the Brass Embassy is an all or nothing, I suppose. Thefts of a Particular Character just lower it. Failing them actually gives the exact same rewards as success, just with a little extra Casing loss, if I recall.

WinWin
2014-04-26, 09:27 PM
"Speechless, but not mindless"

It can't speak. But after an hour's coaxing, it eventually chooses to write. Its handwriting is round and sprawling, like a child's script, but it writes with speed: it covers a dozen sheets with foolscap. It lists its components, its accomplishments ('the Degrees of the Needle'), its previous achievements (the names of pets or children), and it indicates its maker: 'W.P." Finally, it draws up an unorthodox but coherent document of association, and proffers it for your signature. It seems you have a new companion.

A new companion. Simply delightful! Capricious and whimsical adventures await.

Hydranova
2014-04-28, 01:22 PM
Well, seems that the Glimpse of Something Larger from the Tale of the Fidgeting Writer is a relatively quick way of getting collated research. Which should no doubt help me in getting in good with God's Editors.

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-28, 04:35 PM
Collated research is tier 4 Academic, if you happen to have a hundred or so Memories of Distant Shores floating around. I did, but I guess I don't know how typical that is.

Hydranova
2014-04-28, 05:34 PM
It's about 10 Collated Research earned for every 50 Memories of Distant Shores. You also need a Portfolio of Souls if you're unwelcome at the university. The Fidgeting Writer route also gives you some Making Waves.

Fortuna
2014-04-29, 02:02 PM
Finally finished the grind! I'm now residing in the Brass Embassy. Drop me a postcard or something. :smallbiggrin:

Hydranova
2014-04-29, 02:51 PM
You fool! Do you not realize that ETERNAL DAMNATION can be inflicted upon your unwilling personage through the same principles as osmosis? Why else do you think they have all those souls in the Brass Embassy? It's like coal to diamonds.

Eldan
2014-04-29, 02:59 PM
He's right! I, myself, have bought a suite to make sure that no one else can live in it and stain their soul! And for no other purpose at all!

Luzahn
2014-04-29, 03:04 PM
You see, this is why I live in my townhouse. It's quite handy for avoiding all sorts of eldritch corruption.

Pseudo_Nym
2014-04-29, 03:06 PM
You fool! Do you not realize that ETERNAL DAMNATION can be inflicted upon your unwilling personage through the same principles as osmosis? Why else do you think they have all those souls in the Brass Embassy? It's like coal to diamonds.

I sold my soul a while ago, just to see what it was like.

It has since been politely returned.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-29, 03:19 PM
I prefer to perch amongst the heights of the Bazaar, and look down upon the city which is filled with my schemes. No delusions of grandeur!

Eldan
2014-04-29, 03:33 PM
Just because you live a few floors above me... and your living space is twenty times the size of mine... and you're filthy rich... bah, I say, bah.

Hydranova
2014-04-29, 03:45 PM
I find the Spire dwellings somewhat....suspect. Hence why I am currently stockpiling massive amounts of honey to get in good with the Manager of the Royal Beth.

rweird
2014-04-29, 03:48 PM
I too am at the top of the Royal Beth, though I do have a dwelling in a spire. I haven't yet acquired a sanctum in the brass embassy, as I still possessed my soul last Christmas, and had no desire to lose it, so I remain, merely a long-term guest in the Brass Embassy.

WinWin
2014-04-30, 01:18 AM
Thank you for the box of rats, Ikura.

I sent a message thanking you, but in case it does not make it, I wished to post here. Let me know if I can return the favour. I have an abundance of minor goods and curiosities, plus I will be available to assist you in any endeavour in which you would like any help with.

Volcan
2014-04-30, 04:51 PM
i play fallen london, my name is Hemlock Smith and i love this game, i would like som patrons and some primordal shrieks if i could get my hands on some

rweird
2014-04-30, 07:03 PM
i play fallen london, my name is Hemlock Smith and i love this game, i would like som patrons and some primordal shrieks if i could get my hands on some

This is you (http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hemlock%20Smith), right?

I am a Shadowy patron if you're interested.

Hydranova
2014-04-30, 08:47 PM
Woah, another Coruscating Soul and with it Royal Beth Lodgings! Oh, and the Fidgeting Writer Successes or trade-ins all give Making Waves, it seems.

Luzahn
2014-05-01, 08:53 AM
Hmm, involving yourself in the soul trade? Dangerous business. I expected better. :smallannoyed:

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-01, 09:09 AM
There's a few patrons listed on the front page; take your pick. :smallsmile:

(Which reminds me, Varen_Tai, I need to complete your training, unless you're suitably-trained.)

Hydranova
2014-05-01, 10:16 AM
What? Heavens no, I turned that thing in to the church! Or, at least someone dressed as a Bishop. There's a lot of Bishops down here, aren't there. You'd think London would just have the two.

Volcan
2014-05-01, 01:36 PM
This is you (http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hemlock%20Smith), right?

I am a Shadowy patron if you're interested.

yep thats me, im totally interested in a shodowy patron

Luzahn
2014-05-01, 02:19 PM
I am still protege-less, if anybody wishes to join my Dangerous "Academy of Not-Getting-Eaten-By-Sorrow-Spiders."

Ionbound
2014-05-01, 03:04 PM
I am still protege-less, if anybody wishes to join my Dangerous "Academy of Not-Getting-Eaten-By-Sorrow-Spiders."

I could use some dangerous training, actually. If you'd be interested in tutoring a Thief that deals with Hell quite a bit.

Luzahn
2014-05-01, 03:11 PM
Sent a calling card. Axton is not choosy about his students. Which will backfire once one of them goes evil, but that's just part of the whole warrior mentor gig. :smalltongue:

Hydranova
2014-05-01, 03:24 PM
You can always call on Mr. Fabwich as a TA. Who I am unsure of whether I want to make an Extraordinary Mind or Shattering Force. Either way I guess he can offer another course in regards to Devil-punching.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-01, 03:39 PM
Awwww. I wish I'd had a mentor during my days of Not-Getting-Eaten-By-Sorrow-Spiders.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-05-01, 04:39 PM
Well, I have officially died once, so it is confirmed that I cannot go back to The Surface unless I get my hands on some Hesperidian Cider.

Oh and I found a Pulsating Amber, I think in the Forgotten Quarter (speaking of which, I failed my last Expedition by one point). I used that as much as I could without Fate then sold it for quite a lot of money. Then I bought the Devilish Fedora. :smalltongue:

rweird
2014-05-01, 08:14 PM
Sorry Varen_Tai, I feel like a jerk for stealing your Knife and Candle weapons and all that, but when your in an elusive form, you don't have a choice. I wish I could return them as I already had one of each of them.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-01, 08:25 PM
Don't feel bad; Varen_Tai stole them from me in a game of Knife-and-Candle first. :smalltongue:

Varen_Tai
2014-05-01, 08:52 PM
Sorry Varen_Tai, I feel like a jerk for stealing your Knife and Candle weapons and all that, but when your in an elusive form, you don't have a choice. I wish I could return them as I already had one of each of them.

Don't feel bad; Varen_Tai stole them from me in a game of Knife-and-Candle first. :smalltongue:

Heh, it's fine. That's the point of the whole game, right? I thought you were being really sneaky - someone who is dumping all their moves into Elusive must CERTAINLY be baroque instead, right? I'm curious to know what Gambit you used up front - Devil's Gyre, perhaps? I was really tempted to do the Immune to Elusive Attacks gambit, but decided against it at the last minute. I should have listened to my instincts, darn it! :smallbiggrin:

Fortuna
2014-05-02, 04:57 AM
So, I disappeared for a while, and then wandered back to discuss another mystery - this one something that permeates the entirety of London, with one notable and extraordinary exception, and which seems to me indubitably to be the most sinister of all the secrets the Fifth City conceals.

Normally, you'd expect that to be followed by some anticlimactic triviality, and to some of you, it's probably going to look that way. But to me, it seems unquestionable that the most devious manoeuvre visibly employed by any of the major players in the history of Fallen London has been the systematic elimination wherever possible of the old names, of every old name, from the Thames to the London Magazine to bedlam to the very streets, with the sole and bizarre exception of... London itself.

Why? Why change the names? Why ban the maps and street signs that would reference names now fallen out of use? What possible utility does it serve? Of nights I lie awake, desperately scouring my brain for the slightest whisper of an indication of a motive, but I can find none - so I must turn to the act itself, and ask its consequences.

Let us begin with a lie - a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. So spake the Bard, and perhaps once it was true, when the word was young. But today the name is indelibly linked with the thing, and the thing is irreversibly associated with its name. Indeed, in a world of half-magic and of dreams and of mysteries, in some sense, some terribly real sense, the name is the thing.

Let us begin anew, then, with a truth. The symbol is the thing. To eliminate - not merely kill, not merely force from favour, but systematically eradicate wherever possible - those names, then, is to eliminate the things. Something remains, but what remains is... not the thing. Hence, then, the warping of the streets, perhaps. Hence, then, the reinvention of Saint Mary's as a hotel. The scheme of the Masters can, in this light, be interpreted as leading towards only a single end; the destruction and forgetting of old London in its entirety, to make way for some new city to be built in its husk, from people who never saw the change even when it had swept over them and carried them away.

Except, of course, for one key datum. Despite all these modifications, London remains London. Oh, it is the Fifth City, and Fallen, but first and foremost it remains London, and the Masters have made no effort to change that. So what we have is not merely a destruction, but a transformation. London is to be hollowed out, and filled anew with... what?

And, for that matter, by whom? For throughout I have assumed this scheme to belong equally to all the Masters of the Bazaar, but the more I think on it the more closely it fits with Mr. Pages, and the more plausible it appears that it acts in this independent in some measure from its colleagues. To what end? To what end? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

*Is dragged off to be confused elsewhere, out of the public eye.
If this has been answered, and the answer is banal, I shall be very, very annoyed. >.>

Grif
2014-05-02, 05:19 AM
Interesting choice, the Secular Missionary and the Revolutionary Firebrand. Both are not what they profess to be outwardly, and both likely not to be trusted.

Still deliberating which one...

rweird
2014-05-02, 05:45 AM
Varen_Tai: I used Flee to the Flit. When I saw you were boosting everything, and I knew I could make the first move, I thought min-maxing would be the way to go. If you played Flee to the Flit, I probably would have switched to the Fatal Clawed Night Bat with a candle/opportunity card, and attacked (presumably unsuccessfully, as yours would be 10 higher) savagely.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-02, 08:56 AM
Random_person: There is an air of the Revolutionaries about you. :smallbiggrin:

Fortuna
2014-05-02, 03:01 PM
But that's just the thing, don't you see? Not even the revolutionaries see it. There is not the slightest whisper that anyone thinks it odd, never mind sinister. It is somehow cunningly hidden, despite lying in plain sight.

Luzahn
2014-05-02, 03:05 PM
What concerns me more, what everybody seems to forget, is that London is the fifth. The Bazaar promises safety, an eternity down here away from the dooms of the surface, but there have been four others, swayed by the same hollow words.

What is left of them? Crumbling ruins and whispers. Something must be done. We must remember. It seems to me that you have seen the beginnings already. They seek to make of us lacre.

Pseudo_Nym
2014-05-02, 03:23 PM
Bah. What is left of the first four cities? The Duchess, for one. The Gracious Widow. The Masters. The Relickers. The Manager. The Hundreds. The Snake, the Cat, the Red Bird. The devils. The Cantigaster. Yesterday's King. More names, best unspoken.

The truly great will survive, here in the Neath. That's better odds than the Surface gives you. Death does not discriminate, on the Surface. But here there is a chance. Find the Cider. Find the Garden. Find the Mountain. Or find another way.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-02, 03:33 PM
All shall be well.

Luzahn
2014-05-02, 03:33 PM
Bah. What is left of the first four cities? The Duchess, for one. The Gracious Widow. The Masters. The Relickers. The Manager. The Hundreds. The Snake, the Cat, the Red Bird. The devils. The Cantigaster. Yesterday's King. More names, best unspoken.

The truly great will survive, here in the Neath. That's better odds than the Surface gives you. Death does not discriminate, on the Surface. But here there is a chance. Find the Cider. Find the Garden. Find the Mountain. Or find another way.

But what of the rest? The countless thousands, who by some twist of fate have not been deemed great? Are we to abandon them? Let them wither and die as the Bazaar eats its fill?

Perhaps this is an acceptable price for some, but it is one I refuse to pay. I would not see London fall.

Fortuna
2014-05-02, 03:35 PM
What concerns me more, what everybody seems to forget, is that London is the fifth. The Bazaar promises safety, an eternity down here away from the dooms of the surface, but there have been four others, swayed by the same hollow words.

What is left of them? Crumbling ruins and whispers. Something must be done. We must remember. It seems to me that you have seen the beginnings already. They seek to make of us lacre.

...true. Ruins and whispers - not even names, though we can guess from what is left. Perhaps I was wrong. Perhaps they will simply drain London to a husk, and discard it when even its name is no longer of use to them.

rweird
2014-05-02, 03:56 PM
But what of the rest? The countless thousands, who by some twist of fate have not been deemed great? Are we to abandon them? Let them wither and die as the Bazaar eats its fill?

Perhaps this is an acceptable price for some, but it is one I refuse to pay. I would not see London fall.

Find the Mountain, grant immortality to all, return them to the surface, and let London fall. I like London, and don't want to see it fall, but progress cannot be stopped, and looking into alternatives would be wise.

Pseudo_Nym
2014-05-02, 04:34 PM

Their lives? Bazaar or no, their lives would end. All our lives. Dust returns to dust. A few more birthdays, a few more smiles. Sad to lose, but not worth your tears. Do not fear for their lives.

Fear for their souls. Dip a soul in lacre, and only then will you know fear. That is what we are up against.

Eldan
2014-05-02, 05:16 PM
Yeah. Though I'm not sure what scares me more. That each city's fate is Lacre or that London's fate may be the Liberation of Night. Because that seems just as terrible. Or the Ascension of the ancient Flukes.

Pseudo_Nym
2014-05-02, 06:17 PM
The Nephrite Lens stopped working sometime in the last few hours. They no longer boost HRD: Is Someone Coming? past 20. Don't know if anybody else was grinding those. Probably for the best, overall.

The Liberation... is not something that should be entered into lightly. I'm not willing to support it, myself, unless I can be absolutely sure it's better than the alternative. But I can sort of respect those who do. It's the mercenaries in the middle I can't understand. "Who pays better" should never even be a consideration. ...Not entered lightly! Get it?

Hiro Protagonest
2014-05-02, 06:46 PM
Doesn't Liberation just make the Neath dark and kill The Masters, and anyone who can just flees to The Surface? And... I'm not sure how exactly it permanently darkens The Neath.

Eldan
2014-05-02, 06:47 PM
You have probably never been to the Iron Republic and seen what the Revolutionaries are capable of...

No, they want to end all laws. As the Republic shows, that includes laws of nature. Such as light, gravity, causality...

Fortuna
2014-05-02, 07:13 PM
You have probably never been to the Iron Republic and seen what the Revolutionaries are capable of...

No, they want to end all laws. As the Republic shows, that includes laws of nature. Such as light, gravity, causality...

Then clearly I should make a stop there on my next Zee-voyage. Any advice for preparations before I set out?

Eldan
2014-05-02, 07:32 PM
Then clearly I should make a stop there on my next Zee-voyage. Any advice for preparations before I set out?

Loaded guns, holy water and a strong stomach?

((And more seriously: honestly, not much you can do. It's a weird place and the mechanics are quite different from anywhere else. I won't say more.))

Luzahn
2014-05-03, 09:13 AM
I tend to steer clear of the place, except when required by my Nemesis.

Terrifying city, really. The revolutionaries are fools for consorting with Hell.

Eldan
2014-05-03, 12:27 PM
Nemesis sends you to the Republic? Interesting. I wonder if all the Ambitions send you overzeas. I was only in the Republic once, to get a journal.

rweird
2014-05-03, 12:36 PM
Nemesis sends you to the Republic? Interesting. I wonder if all the Ambitions send you overzeas. I was only in the Republic once, to get a journal.

Bag a Legend sent me overseas to an area exclusive for the ambition. I think Nemesis also sends you to the Tomb Colonies too. Not sure if any of the others do.

Eldan
2014-05-03, 12:43 PM
A very significant part of Heart's Desire is at the heart of Polythreme.

Divayth Fyr
2014-05-03, 12:45 PM
I think Nemesis also sends you to the Tomb Colonies too.
It does. I believe Light Fingers doesn't send you into any areas where you'd need to go by the zee, but I can be wrong.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-03, 01:07 PM
Yeah; Scathewick, the individual who murdered your Important Person, is imprisoned in the Iron Republic, I don't recall why offhand. That, plus the fact that he was acting on behalf of other forces, was enough for me to feel sorry for him.

Hydranova
2014-05-03, 01:49 PM
Oh, that good ole' Making Waves grind. While my lodgings at the Royal Beth allow me to gain a somewhat respectable amount, it requires a Bejewled Magnifying glass and waking up under a surgeon's knife now and then. Any other convienent ways?

Pseudo_Nym
2014-05-03, 01:54 PM
I've had decent success with my Salon. Notability 5, now, and I could get it up to 6 if I cashed in.

Hydranova
2014-05-03, 02:06 PM
Hnnng, I've heard that involves getting in Good Graces with Bohemians and Devils. Though I suppose I could invite a Clergyman....what are my other options?

rweird
2014-05-03, 02:07 PM
Oh, that good ole' Making Waves grind. While my lodgings at the Royal Beth allow me to gain a somewhat respectable amount, it requires a Bejewled Magnifying glass and waking up under a surgeon's knife now and then. Any other convienent ways?

Parties aren't bad, when you get the opportunity card, various options on connected cards increase it a bit too (at low to no cost). Personally, I use my salon.

Other lodgings have ways to sacrifice expensive-ish items for Making Waves, though I don't typically do that. Increasing Dreaded/Bizarre/Respectable is a good way to make Notability gain easier too.

Fortuna
2014-05-03, 02:23 PM
It does. I believe Light Fingers doesn't send you into any areas where you'd need to go by the zee, but I can be wrong.

You can indeed, though so far I've only needed to nip across the Southern Archipelago to visit a certain doctor.

Pseudo_Nym
2014-05-03, 02:49 PM
Hnnng, I've heard that involves getting in Good Graces with Bohemians and Devils. Though I suppose I could invite a Clergyman....what are my other options?

Only to start the place. After that you can run entirely on the support of Society. The Orphanage is the same sort of deal, but I've heard it's less efficient.

Other options... you can get 1 CP per action in the Empress' Court, along with ~90 pence. Slow, but predictable. Some of the 3rd tier lateral item conversions - Zee-Stories, Incendiary Gossip, and Tales of Terror, I believe - give a small number, ~5. Decent for topping up, or you can do a whole circuit if the Court won't have you. And you've already experimented with the Fidgeting Writer. Other than those, I think you need to use opportunity cards. The Society card's got one that also decreases wounds and boosts the connection, so that's worth watching for. Most of the lodgings have a Making Waves option, but not all of them are worth it. The Lair in the Marshes one uses up Parabola-Linen (!!), for instance; never tried it, but I'm sure it's a waste. The Gambling Den's the coolest - uses up a Night on the Town, randomly gives or takes some money, increases Making Waves, then lets you repeat as much as you want. As much as you can afford, anyway.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-03, 03:02 PM
Inviting people to Private Suppers is another good way, and Heists in the Flit give Making Waves when you succeed. (The only thing to remember about Heists is that they require a full deck to play through.)

Luzahn
2014-05-03, 03:19 PM
Because I come by the linen rather frequently in the Nadir, I used that option a couple of times, stopping mostly because it has rather ominous, fingerlord-y hints to it.

It's a pretty huge boost to Making Waves, as you might expect, but I don't recall anything else unusual from it.

D20ragon
2014-05-04, 08:21 AM
Does anyone happen to have 1000 dead rats on a string?
Not hard to get, I know, but I'm impatient and poor at the moment. :smalltongue:
I can't send much in return,(poor, remember) but feel free to request my aid in any and all endeavors.

rweird
2014-05-04, 08:23 AM
I think so, I'll send them your way when I get the card, though that'd take a while. Why do you want them?

D20ragon
2014-05-04, 08:26 AM
Access to the Labyrinth.
(Soooo... I actually need 5000, but I didn't want to impose on anyone.)

rweird
2014-05-04, 08:49 AM
Ah, as they are sent in groups of 100, I don't think it'd make all that much of a difference. Asking this fine gentle-whatever-it-is (http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Spacemarine9) may speed things up.
For those that didn't know, he's the one responsible for the 50,000 rats.
The Labyrinth of Tigers is an interesting place, I think the last location I unlocked. Shame they haven't finished the 4th coil or added any subsequent ones.

Ionbound
2014-05-04, 07:23 PM
Hey, what does Marked By the Chain-Eater do? I got it in a card, and I'm slightly worried my character is now a werewolf or something.

D20ragon
2014-05-04, 07:27 PM
Not sure. I got it recently as well, and so far, no effects at all.

Hydranova
2014-05-04, 07:28 PM
Oh that, I remember that! Nothing really, save that your dreams will be a bit more unfriendly.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-05-04, 07:29 PM
Oh that, I remember that! Nothing really, save that your dreams will be a bit more unfriendly.

Because people can just afford to have another thing which increases Nightmares.

Speaking of which, Confessing My Fears didn't seem to do much... maybe it bugged out? In any case I ended up going back to that strange hotel. Never did speak to the manager of the place. Luckily my What The Thunder Said didn't go down much, and that's the dream I'm pursuing whenever I can.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-04, 07:30 PM
No, you're not a werewolf. You will see, in time. It unveils through opportunity cards, generally--though I seem to recall the storyline branching into a location-specific storylet.

rweird
2014-05-04, 07:35 PM
Marked by the Eater of Chains is just another story.

Jade Dragon: If your talking about the social action, I think its -3 CP of nightmares, so rather minor when its at 6 or 7.

Hydranova
2014-05-04, 07:43 PM
Because people can just afford to have another thing which increases Nightmares.

Speaking of which, Confessing My Fears didn't seem to do much... maybe it bugged out? In any case I ended up going back to that strange hotel. Never did speak to the manager of the place. Luckily my What The Thunder Said didn't go down much, and that's the dream I'm pursuing whenever I can.

Well, I kinda have Touched By Fingerwork at 50, so I pretty much just go to the Mirror Marches. Which isn't THAT bad.

rweird
2014-05-04, 07:46 PM
Well, I kinda have Touched By Fingerwork at 50, so I pretty much just go to the Mirror Marches. Which isn't THAT bad.

Touched by the Fingerwork determines where you go? I thought it was whether or not you had a Memory of Light.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-05-04, 07:47 PM
I think the first time, I ended up in the Mirror-Marches. It was definitely some other place. It had exotic cats that could talk, and exotic birds. I'm pretty sure I got an opportunity card to go to the hotel and I've always showed up there since. My Touched By Fingerwork is like, 26 now.

Also, some of the descriptions and stats don't line up for items. A shabby opera cloak enhances the poise, but gives -1 persuasive. You'll be overlooked in a maid's outfit, but get -1 shadowy (maybe you get +1 if you don't say your gender is male :smalltongue:).

Varen_Tai
2014-05-04, 07:48 PM
Dang! I got End of Battles twice in a row in the Nadir - two Airags for me! Getting closer to some M----r's B---d!

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-04, 07:58 PM
Also, some of the descriptions and stats don't line up for items. A shabby opera cloak enhances the poise, but gives -1 persuasive. You'll be overlooked in a maid's outfit, but get -1 shadowy (maybe you get +1 if you don't say your gender is male :smalltongue:).
Poise just refers to grace, and to dexterity. That's the bit which is in the Shadowy domain. As to why the penalty of persuasive? It's a wretched thing, not at all in keeping with the latest fashions! :smalltongue:

The bit with the maid's outfit is funny, though.

rweird
2014-05-04, 08:04 PM
I think the first time, I ended up in the Mirror-Marches. It was definitely some other place. It had exotic cats that could talk, and exotic birds. I'm pretty sure I got an opportunity card to go to the hotel and I've always showed up there since. My Touched By Fingerwork is like, 26 now.

I'm pretty sure you need a memory of light to go to the Mirror Marches. Personally, I get mine from feeding my reprehensible lizard.

I should start Nadir-ing again, even though it'll damage my stats. Once I maxed them, I wanted to keep them that way for a while.

Pseudo_Nym
2014-05-04, 08:05 PM

Heh. In my very early days, freshly escaped, I'd normally go around everywhere wearing my shabby opera cloak and prisoner's mask. Except when I really wanted to impress high society. Then I'd put on a dress and modish bonnet. Society loved it. I didn't ask.

I've still never seen a menace area. I've been sorely tempted to give one a try, but I keep thinking it'll happen on its own eventually.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-05-04, 08:05 PM
Wait, it says enhances the pose. Meh, practically the same thing. It also says it enhances the sweep, so you can turn dramatically.

D20ragon
2014-05-04, 08:19 PM
Any of you guys willing to listen to a gentleman tell you about his nightmares?
All I ask is you refrain from snickering when he admits he is terrified of mice.

Fortuna
2014-05-04, 08:30 PM
Aaaah arachnospeculative travel sorrow-spiders in mirrors whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

*runs into a wall and falls over, quietly gibbering*

Varen_Tai
2014-05-04, 08:45 PM

Ah, someone is getting a Higher Education. *knowing nod*

Pseudo_Nym
2014-05-04, 08:55 PM
All I ask is you refrain from snickering when he admits he is terrified of mice.

Sure, I'll listen. It increases the listener's nightmares a little, mind, and we both use an action, so try to rotate victims. But I can certainly help out every once in a while. That goes for anybody, anytime.

Personally, I use laudanum. Three bottles before bed does wonders.

I remember that! Good times. Drink some laudanum; it'll help. A little.

Fortuna
2014-05-05, 12:39 AM
My base nightmares is presently at 9. The only reason I'm not taking an unscheduled stay at the Beth is a combination of a shiny stick and a goldfish.

Eldan
2014-05-05, 01:43 AM
Dang! I got End of Battles twice in a row in the Nadir - two Airags for me! Getting closer to some M----r's B---d!

You lucky Bastard. Well, I have three of the five special ambers required to play the last stage of that Fluke card down there. I really want to know what it does, given that I've spent hundreds of echoes on it, now.

rweird
2014-05-05, 06:12 AM
I'm willing to listen to nightmares from anyone, as I have very low nightmares (3) and a number of opportunity cards that can show up to reduce them (and going to the Mirror Marches again would be fun anyways).

Pseudo_Nym
2014-05-05, 06:50 AM
My base nightmares is presently at 9. The only reason I'm not taking an unscheduled stay at the Beth is a combination of a shiny stick and a goldfish.

Wow. I'm such a coward I've never let any menace get higher than 5. Of course I'll listen to your nightmares, several times, if it'll help.

Grif
2014-05-05, 07:01 AM
Send me an invite too if you wish. I'm always meticulously reducing my Menaces now that I paid a visit to both the Tomb Colonies and Newgate Prison. (Probably going to try Royal Beth later.)

Incidentally, is there anyone here who can teach me the ways of thuggery? Dangerous seems rather hard to level now.

Varen_Tai
2014-05-05, 07:21 AM
As a complete side note, I am an Author for anyone who has a salon and wants to invite me. Happy to help and all. I may have mentioned it before, but it bears repeating.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-05, 10:08 AM
Wow. I'm such a coward I've never let any menace get higher than 5. Of course I'll listen to your nightmares, several times, if it'll help.
I've been to every menace area at least twice. :smallbiggrin: Possibly three times.

Hydranova
2014-05-05, 01:18 PM
Well, I've scuttled my Steamer so that I may construct a boat that acts very much like a Plated seal, with a toothed maw that opens and closes. Now I just gotta wait for my actions to replenish so I can exchange my secrets for Ostentatious Diamonds one at a time forty-five more times so I have enough to make 7 bejeweled lenses!

Fallen London: Authentic Diamond Exchange Action!

Hiro Protagonest
2014-05-05, 01:50 PM
Are Street Signs used for anything other than getting to the Flit?

rweird
2014-05-05, 02:14 PM
Are Street Signs used for anything other than getting to the Flit?

The Devil's Gyre gambit in Knife and Candle, may have a few other uses, though I don't think all to many. As acquiring them is hard, I save mine none the less.

Fortuna
2014-05-05, 02:54 PM
I don't presently even have any Sudden Insights to permit me to share my tales of dread, but I appreciate the offers. I'll be in contact when I do.

rweird
2014-05-05, 03:06 PM
I don't presently even have any Sudden Insights to permit me to share my tales of dread, but I appreciate the offers. I'll be in contact when I do.

You can play chess with others for Sudden Insights (1 if you win, 2 if you lose, but if you win, you get a bit of Making Waves).

Fortuna
2014-05-05, 03:07 PM
You can play chess with others for Sudden Insights (1 if you win, 2 if you lose, but if you win, you get a bit of Making Waves).

I know, but I have my own sources. Just out of actions, at the moment. :smallsmile:

Hydranova
2014-05-05, 03:19 PM
There's also siding with the Church in the Church vs. Great Game card. That gives you one of each.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-05-05, 03:24 PM
There's also siding with the Church in the Church vs. Great Game card. That gives you one of each.

I always discard that card because I have way too little Great Game connection to lose any, and I don't like the other options.

Fortuna
2014-05-05, 03:46 PM

I know. For the time being, actually, I'm investigating in the university, and talking to the porters breaks down some Cryptic Clues into Whispered Secrets as well as advancing my investigation and providing a Sudden Insight.

Fortuna
2014-05-06, 03:46 AM
I appreciate the folks who've listened to my madman's babble - between you and (un)healthy quantities of laudanum, I'm now sane. More or less.

I would ask, though, that anyone who has some actions free and a charitable turn of mind perhaps assist me with my wounds?

Iruka
2014-05-06, 08:54 AM
I'm equally curious as to what "Adrift on a Sea of Misery" does. It gets raised by certain acts of altruism, but hasn't unlocked anything...yet.

I think I saw something that required a certain "Adrift on a Sea of Misery", but I have no idea where.

Thank you for the box of rats, Ikura.

I sent a message thanking you, but in case it does not make it, I wished to post here. Let me know if I can return the favour. I have an abundance of minor goods and curiosities, plus I will be available to assist you in any endeavour in which you would like any help with.

Your message was well received. I got into the Labyrinth of Tigers via the day pass from the Opportunity Card and then searched for the Tiger Keeper. He gives you a lot of rats, I think enough for regular access.

Hydranova
2014-05-06, 09:00 AM
Hey there, is anyone willing to let me feed upon their making waves category via Dante's Grill?

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-06, 09:19 AM
Hey there, is anyone willing to let me feed upon their making waves category via Dante's Grill?
*hiss* *vampire fangs pop out* My Making Waves, mine!

Oh, wait. You probably were addressing the young, tender, malleable newcomers to the Neath. :smalltongue:

Grif
2014-05-06, 09:59 AM
I think I saw something that required a certain "Adrift on a Sea of Misery", but I have no idea where.

I do believe one of the Church's occupation requires that particular quality.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-06, 10:34 AM
I do believe one of the Church's occupation requires that particular quality.
Not sure at what level it unlocks, though. Could be all you need is to have any amount of the quality.

Pseudo_Nym
2014-05-06, 11:04 AM
Any amount, yes. It's one of two ways to become a campaigner, along with using the revolutionaries and plotting against the masters. According to the April Changelog (http://www.failbettergames.com/fallen-london-changes-april-2014), they've recently added more ways for non-PoSI to start their drifting, specifically so they can become campainers earlier.

Along with the changes to Eyeless Skulls, though, it makes me hopeful something more will soon be done with those qualities. It's a good sign, anyway.

Fortuna
2014-05-06, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the tea, folks.