PDA

View Full Version : Druid AC of sheer beardy cheese!

deathwolf669
2014-02-12, 11:40 AM
Well I got thinking today after finishing off my druid, how could I upset my DM with boosting the AC of my druid. Well here is the best I could come up with.

Monks belt: +8 wis, +1 monk level 5 = total of +9 AC

Amulet of natural armour: +5 AC to natural armour

Rings of force armour: +5 bonus to AC

Gloves of Dexterity: +6 dex = +3 AC

Robe of inferno: +4 Armour bonus

For armour, would Wild Elven Darkleaf Dendritic Armour giving a +11 AC (is this combination even allowed?)

So unless there are any clashes +37 AC, if there are any clashes please post below or if you can do better for cheaper go for it!

Rebel7284
2014-02-12, 11:53 AM
You can't wear armor and a monk's belt...

Also Robe of Inferno would not stack with armor.

Vhaidara
2014-02-12, 12:05 PM
Also you cannot make Dendritic armor out of elven darkleaf. Dendritic armor works the way it works because of the material it's made of. Even by RAW it's illegal, since Elven Darkleaf can only replace armor usually made of metal, and Dendritic is crystal. On the upside, being crystal means you don't need darkleaf to wear it as a druid.

Rebel7284
2014-02-12, 12:11 PM
Also, this should go without saying, but have you considered just wildshaping into something with high dex and lots of natural armor?

TrueJordan
2014-02-12, 12:18 PM
You forgot Planar Shepherd! Pick The Realm of Madness or Plane of Dreams as your Plane, take 9 levels, once you're on ECL 14, turn into ANY CORPOREAL creature you can think of with the Pseudonatural Creature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/pseudonaturalCreature.htm) template and enjoy the +10 dex and +35 Nat Armor, as well as all the abilities the granted form gets. Combine that with your Clasped Monk's belt, that's an automatic +54 to whatever your dex and other items are. Oh, also enjoy the free +22 str, free extra tentacle attacks, and various amount of free abilities.

Enjoy your stay at the Broken as Hell Inn.

(If you want to order cheesiest room, we hope you enjoy the complimentary Time Stop for 1d10*10 rounds and the ability to grant wishes 3*x per day, where x is the amount of times you can wild shape.)

Coidzor
2014-02-12, 12:48 PM
I was about to ask where you'd managed to find an Animal Companion that had a beard, since the only animals I recall with those are goats and maybe walruses. XD

deathwolf669
2014-02-12, 12:55 PM
Rebel7284 > Once you have wild shaped the armour is no longer counted as armour as long as you have wild armour :D

So rule out the robe.

Keledrath > Well I didn't think it would be legal armour but through it down anyway.

TrueJordan> I am looking at what I could grab right now rather than what I could grab later, plus I am looking at what would stack on top of being in wild shape.

I did forget a wild tower shield as that would meld into me too wouldn't it?

So Wild +2 Dendritic, is +11, Wild 2+ Bronzewood towershield would be +6.
Wildling clasp on a Monks belt: +8 wis, +1 monk level 5 = total of +9 AC

So is that +39?

Asteron
2014-02-12, 12:58 PM

So is that +39?

Except that you can't combine a Monk's Belt with any form of armor...

Urpriest
2014-02-12, 12:59 PM
Rebel7284 > Once you have wild shaped the armour is no longer counted as armour as long as you have wild armour :D

So rule out the robe.

Keledrath > Well I didn't think it would be legal armour but through it down anyway.

TrueJordan> I am looking at what I could grab right now rather than what I could grab later, plus I am looking at what would stack on top of being in wild shape.

I did forget a wild tower shield as that would meld into me too wouldn't it?

So is that +39?

Might want to replace the Wild armor with a casting of Luminous Armor to save money. If you count the attack penalty it ends up a bit better. Of course, you'd need to be good-aligned.

Khedrac
2014-02-12, 01:00 PM
I have a Arcane Heirophant with Draconic Wildshape who does it the less-cheese way.

Battle Dragon form - Dex 12, 11 natural armour
Gauntlets of Dexterity + 2 (so no claw attacks)
Dusty Rose Ioun Stone
Ring of Protection +2
with various Wildling Clasps
(My money has gone on more important gear)

AC10 +
2 - Dexterity
11 + 5 - natural armour & barkskin cast by me
7 - armour - mage armour (cast by the party's argent savant, so better than mine)
4 - shield - shield cast by me
1 - insight - ioun stone
2 - deflection - ring

So that's 42, or 43 after I cast haste.

Oh yes, as a druid forget the amulet of natural armour - cast barkskin and get an amulet of Wisdom or Constitution.

deathwolf669
2014-02-12, 01:05 PM
Asteron > So Wild shaping in Wild armour makes the armour meld into you, meaning you no longer have armour but the AC bonus, which is how it was explained to me. Is this wrong?

Urpriest> Just having a mental play rather than actually what I am doing as I wouldn't have the spare money after all the extras I bought.

eggynack
2014-02-12, 01:44 PM
I have a Arcane Heirophant with Draconic Wildshape who does it the less-cheese way.

Battle Dragon form - Dex 12, 11 natural armour
Why not a young adult mercury dragon (DoF, 138)? That form grants +14 natural and has 16 dexterity, which is pretty much strictly better. If you don't have access to 15 HD forms, the juvenile mercury dragon has +11 natural and +3 dexterity, which is also better, though not by as much. I dunno if this is the top of the AC curve for dragon forms, because I haven't put together a serious comparison of that stuff yet, but you could definitely be doing better.

Anyways, my general method is just a desmodu hunting bat, for a base AC of 20, plus a monk's belt for some big bonus, plus (greater) luminous armor for a +5 or +8 that stacks with everything. Assuming, say, an anthropomorphic bat as the base, that means at least 24 wisdom which means that monk's belt provides a total +8, and the luminous armor provides another +5 for a total of 33 AC. Cheap and easy. That goes up to 36 if we're talking about greater luminous armor, and you can obviously get wisdom much higher with some optimization (periapt+owl's insight+level up bonuses+inherent. You can even use CL boosters to make the owl's insight better).

Those numbers are already competitive with what you're putting out, largely by virtue of wild shape, and you can do better with some work. I personally prefer scales of the sealord (Storm, 121) to barkskin, as the duration is hours/level, even if the spell level and bonus are a bit worse. Combine either one with halo of sand (Sand, 117), and you push the number even higher, and toss on some dragon form instead of desmodu hunting bat (the relevant ones tend to be pretty much strictly better), and the AC is pretty insane. The important thing, above all else, is the low cost here. We're still just talking about stuff that would be reasonably optimal for an ordinary druid, and you're not diverting many resources from other things. It's hard to say the same for paying large quantities of money for stuff like wild armor and other magic items.

Asteron
2014-02-12, 02:10 PM
Asteron > So Wild shaping in Wild armour makes the armour meld into you, meaning you no longer have armour but the AC bonus, which is how it was explained to me. Is this wrong?

As I understand it, yes. Melding it into you doesn't remove the Armor Check Penalty, does it? You're still "encumbered" by the armor, which is what matters for the Monk's AC bonus.

You may get your DM to rule in your favor though, which renders moot any objection I might have.

deathwolf669
2014-02-12, 02:44 PM
From what I can tell with it melding in, all the bonuses and negatives stop, so yes you have the weight but no you do not have the problems of ACP or Spell failure while wearing it.

On the other hand Beastskin would bring the whole armour with you, ACP and spell failure along for the ride.

eggynack
2014-02-12, 02:50 PM
From what I can tell with it melding in, all the bonuses and negatives stop, so yes you have the weight but no you do not have the problems of ACP or Spell failure while wearing it.

It's possible, though it seems a bit on the ambiguous side. Still, I don't know if it's a thing worth arguing. Luminous armor is usually going to be just better, with a lower cost, and a higher AC bonus most of the time. It's also not ambiguous at all. It's hard for me to imagine a form of wild armor which provides an AC bonus that justifies the cost.

deathwolf669
2014-02-12, 02:58 PM
Hmmm Luminous armor does look good but its just a spell, is it possible to make it permanent and if so how much?

I am guessing not or would it infer permanent str loss?

eggynack
2014-02-12, 03:06 PM
Hmmm Luminous armor does look good but its just a spell, is it possible to make it permanent and if so how much?

You cannot make it permanent, and the cost is actually incurred at the end of the duration, which is possibly why there are no permanent sanctified spells. That fact actually makes luminous armor somewhat better, as the damage happens before you go to sleep, and you heal one of the points of strength damage that night. It also makes lesser restoration style healing somewhat easier, as you can cast the spell, adventure about, take the damage subsequent to the adventuring, and take a day to heal if you have that kind of time. Anyways, it's not a big issue. Hours/level often means the same thing as all day, especially if you extend it. A lesser rod of extend spell is the classic method, as you can pretty much always find applications for any amount of charges on a druid.

Snowbluff
2014-02-12, 03:33 PM
Thanks, eggy! I was about to write this off without Luminous Armor.

Also, what strength damage? Druids can cast Lesser Restoration. Eggy pointed it out. It's a non-issue.

deathwolf669
2014-02-12, 03:35 PM
Ye looking at just using items. Money is no option as I wanted to do it as a mental exercise rather than worry about what I can take now, as that would rule out the BoED for me

eggynack
2014-02-12, 03:42 PM
Also, what strength damage? Druids can cast Lesser Restoration. Eggy pointed it out. It's a non-issue.
I wouldn't call it a non-issue exactly. If you're pressed for time, you're actually spending that spell slot instead of just using it in off hours, and it's a thing that can occasionally prove dangerous on the often low-strength druid. You're really only losing about .5 strength a day, after considering daily healing, but there're other strength damaging spells besides that that're worth casting, and they can add up. I think it's worse for corrupt spells, but if you're tossing hammers of righteousness and luminous armors every whichaway, well, my example druid is probably sporting a strength of 4.

It's certainly not an insurmountable problem, but it's nice to have a plan in mind, especially when you start working with sanctified spells of the strength drain variety. Also, ability damage and wild shape interact in stupid ways, mired in ambiguity, so that's probably a thing to talk about with the DM. It's one of those big druid rules issues that I've just got no solution for.

Edit: As for non-spell AC optimization, I don't even really see the point. I get that it's a theory thing, but at some point you've just gotta notice that you could scrap all of this and pick up one of the many high power druid magic items. I've gotta figure that there's always something worth spending money on, especially with wilding clasps eating away at WBL to some extent.

Fenris-Wolf
2014-02-12, 04:22 PM
It depends on what kind of level and resources you are working with, but i find a druid can get a very good armor class by 8'th level with very little...

Wildshape (I like dire ape for the opposable thumbs): 22 str, 15 dex, +4 nat armor,-1 size
you can cast Reduce Animal on yourself: -2 str, +2 dex, no more size penalty (if being large is inconvenient)
Barkskin: +2/+5 more nat armor
Mage Armor (Normal or Greater): +4/+6 Armor, spell research for a version for yourself or beg a mage
(Or Wild armor when when you can afford it)
Then pick up the Weapon, Shield and Ring of Protection you dropped before shape-shifting :smallwink:

This trick has the advantage of being low level, low cost, pure core and you can still benefit from weapon buffs like shillelagh and/or Spikes (complete divine) and Animal Growth if you want to lay a King Kong sized beat down; While you can do better then this it will likely take a high level, lot of gold and a bunch of splattbooks to achieve

My 2 cents, Cheers

Coidzor
2014-02-12, 04:23 PM

Extend it. Trivial cost for ~2 days of constant armor. Only problem is when you don't want to be glowing.

TrueJordan
2014-02-12, 04:59 PM
It depends on what kind of level and resources you are working with, but i find a druid can get a very good armor class by 8'th level with very little...

Wildshape (I like dire ape for the opposable thumbs): 22 str, 15 dex, +4 nat armor,-1 size
you can cast Reduce Animal on yourself: -2 str, +2 dex, no more size penalty (if being large is inconvenient)
Barkskin: +2/+5 more nat armor
Mage Armor (Normal or Greater): +4/+6 Armor, spell research for a version for yourself or beg a mage
Then pick up the Weapon, Shield and Ring of Protection you dropped before shape-shifting :smallwink:

What do you mean by this? Is that a thing, a divine caster casting arcane spells? /ignroant

Ravens_cry
2014-02-12, 05:39 PM
I was about to ask where you'd managed to find an Animal Companion that had a beard, since the only animals I recall with those are goats and maybe walruses. XD
Some monkeys have (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearded_saki) them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_tamarin).

eggynack
2014-02-12, 05:51 PM
That seems kinda low for a defensive high AC form. You should really be using something desmodu hunting bat like. If you really desire hands, just use fangshields druid substitution levels (CV, 40) and all of your forms will have the ability to have them.

Reduce animal only works on, y'know, animals. Wild shape doesn't make you an animal. You have to use something like aspect of the wolf to pick up the type, which might actually be a pretty good combo. I can dig it, given the duration.

You should probably just use the aforementioned luminous armor. Using spell research or another caster on a class as high power as the druid just seems a bit like overkill. Maybe if you're going for a contemplative dip, thus gaining mage armor on your list.

Jeff the Green
2014-02-12, 05:52 PM
Actually, I thought this was going to be about getting a dwarf as an animal companion, or managing to get silverbeard on your list to share it with your bear.

Some monkeys have (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearded_saki) them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_tamarin).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/Black-chinned_emperor_tamarin_%28S._i._imperator%29.jpg/220px-Black-chinned_emperor_tamarin_%28S._i._imperator%29.jpg

That is facial hair one must respect.

Fenris-Wolf
2014-02-12, 06:23 PM
That seems kinda low for a defensive high AC form. You should really be using something desmodu hunting bat like. If you really desire hands, just use fangshields druid substitution levels (CV, 40) and all of your forms will have the ability to have them.

Reduce animal only works on, y'know, animals. Wild shape doesn't make you an animal. You have to use something like aspect of the wolf to pick up the type, which might actually be a pretty good combo. I can dig it, given the duration.

You should probably just use the aforementioned luminous armor. Using spell research or another caster on a class as high power as the druid just seems a bit like overkill. Maybe if you're going for a contemplative dip, thus gaining mage armor on your list.
The point was to demonstrate a good low level build with minimal equipment and books used. Any character can become broken if you have every splattbook to draw from; and you could always equip wild armor and an animated shield if you have the cash. I like the Ape bc is an easy way to get hands prior to plant and elemental shape without the need for substitution levels in something you might not have access too.

Also, I play Raw not Pathfinder so the rules could be different for you, but the Wildshape I know functions like Polymorph which states at the bottom of the first paragraph in the spell description: PHBI, pg 263 "The subject's creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new from." So unless there is an errata i don't know about or I've misread that sentence somehow, a druid that Wildshapes into an animal would gain the Animal type.

P.S.
TrueJordan

Spell Research is an option listed in the DMG that allows spell casters to invent their own spells with DM approval (1000gp/per spell level, 1 week/spell level and a Spellcraft check of 10+spell level); it would be a simple thing to "invent" your own druid themed version of a spell that duplicates something from a different list, though the DM could decide to say... increase the spell level or deny you if (s)he chooses

TrueJordan
2014-02-12, 06:31 PM
The point was to demonstrate a good low level build with minimal equipment and books used. Any character can become broken if you have every splattbook to draw from; and you could always equip wild armor and an animated shield if you have the cash. I like the Ape bc is an easy way to get hands prior to plant and elemental shape without the need for substitution levels in something you might not have access too.

Also, I play Raw not Pathfinder so the rules could be different for you, but the Wildshape I know functions like Polymorph which states at the bottom of the first paragraph in the spell description: PHBI, pg 263 "The subject's creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new from." So unless there is an errata i don't know about or I've misread that sentence somehow, a druid that Wildshapes into an animal would gain the Animal type.

P.S.
TrueJordan

Spell Research is an option listed in the DMG that allows spell casters to invent their own spells with DM approval (1000gp/per spell level, 1 week/spell level and a Spellcraft check of 10+spell level); it would be a simple thing to "invent" your own druid themed version of a spell that duplicates something from a different list, though the DM could decide to say... increase the spell level or deny you if (s)he chooses

Somewhy I never played with this. Thanks!

To address your second point, unfortunately there is an errata that changes polymorph to alternate form, where it states that you don't take they type of the animal. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm
'The creature retains the type and subtype of its original form. It gains the size of its new form.'

eggynack
2014-02-12, 06:31 PM
First off, the point was to demonstrate a good low level build with minimal equipment and books used. Any character can become broken if you have every splattbook to draw from; and you could always equip wild armor and an animated shield if you have the cash.
I suppose. Some of the stuff you're using doesn't work nearly as well without extra books though. I mean, dire bat form is still probably better for this than a dire ape, just because we're trying to optimize AC, rather than AC for a hand possessing creature.

Second, I play Raw not Pathfinder so the rules could be different for you, but the Wildshape I know functions like Polymorph which states at the bottom of the first paragraph in the spell description: PHBI, pg 263 "The subject's creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new from." So unless there is an errata i don't know about or I've misread that sentence somehow, a druid that Wildshape's into an animal would gain the Animal type.
There is indeed errata, which changes wild shape from polymorph based to alter self based.

I know the rule, and it is incredibly vague and open ended. Any sort of spell research pretty much entirely works on fiat, and is thus poor form for optimization purposes. It's a lot like custom item creation in that way, except, y'know, with less rules.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-12, 06:34 PM
If you just pump CL and apply owl's insight (Spell Compendium), your monk's belt should do you just fine when combined with a high nat AC or high-dex wild shape form. It only lasts an hour, but can be extended, and is definitely good enough to carry around an extra scroll if you are running into unexpected combats. Plus, owl's insight also buffs all of your spell DCs, and so is a decent self-buff even if the combat has already started.

I'm trying to think, and a druid should pretty much be able to have a CL +5 above actual CL by the level owl's insight enters play (ioun stone plus karma bead from necklace of prayer beads). That's another +7 or so to AC, and the numbers just get sweeter from there.

TrueJordan
2014-02-12, 06:42 PM
If you just pump CL and apply owl's insight (Spell Compendium), your monk's belt should do you just fine when combined with a high nat AC or high-dex wild shape form. It only lasts an hour, but can be extended, and is definitely good enough to carry around an extra scroll if you are running into unexpected combats. Plus, owl's insight also buffs all of your spell DCs, and so is a decent self-buff even if the combat has already started.

I'm trying to think, and a druid should pretty much be able to have a CL +5 above actual CL by the level owl's insight enters play (ioun stone plus karma bead from necklace of prayer beads). That's another +7 or so to AC, and the numbers just get sweeter from there.

That's quite a bit of cash you're throwing around:
Monk's belt with wiling clasp- 17K
Ioun Stone- 30K
Bead of Karma- 20K

I don't have the book in front of me, but I can't imagine 67K (And that's with only those three items) by 9th level is the WBL.

But your point still stands; just not right away

hashtag nitpick

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-12, 06:50 PM
Hmm. That's a good point. Granted, a druid could actually get by with nothing, but I hadn't crunched the numbers with regards to WBL. I think the bead of karma is probably still worth it (combines well with metamagic rod of extend), but that ioun stone is eating up coin that is probably better spent on a few utility items and backups.

Immabozo
2014-02-12, 06:51 PM
Master of many forms, Wildshape into a War Troll, 12 NA, plus level 5 of Nature's Warrior, + 5 NA (not actually a bonus, the NA value is made to be 5 higher) + Bite of the werebear, + 9 NA(?) plus Barkskin (a bonus, to your natural armor bonus, lol) for 5 AC

So that's AC 43 before items and before dex, etc. A +1 animated shield (AC 3 or 4) and a wilding clasp on a Monk's belt, (do bracers of armor stack? if they do, there's some stupid awesome synergy) plus some dex items (dex on a war troll is 16) and you are easily up to AC 57 or so.

And that is at level 12. When I was playing this character, I had it figured out to get AC 72.

OH, it was enhaced wildshape (SpC) that was one of the spells to get +2 dex and +1 NA. So we are up to 60 AC right there.

Jeff the Green
2014-02-12, 06:56 PM
There is indeed errata, which changes wild shape from polymorph based to alter self based.

Alternate form, actually. This is part of the reason I use d20srd rather than the PHB, MM, DMG, and XPH when I'm able.

Making yourself count as an animal is pretty easy, though. Aspect of the wolf is a 1st level spell, and even though it has a pretty good duration by itself (10 min/level) spells only check for legitimate targets when they're cast. Handy for all those nice animal-only buffs Druids get.

eggynack
2014-02-12, 06:57 PM
That's quite a bit of cash you're throwing around:
Monk's belt with wiling clasp- 17K
Ioun Stone- 30K
Bead of Karma- 20K

I don't have the book in front of me, but I can't imagine 67K (And that's with only those three items) by 9th level is the WBL.

That is a true thing, though the CL boosting items serve other purposes. The most interesting are the effects that really change with caster level, like control winds. Throwing around tornadoes at low levels is crazy buns.

Alternate form, actually. This is part of the reason I use d20srd rather than the PHB, MM, DMG, and XPH when I'm able.

True enough, on both counts.

animewatcha
2014-02-13, 12:30 AM
Master of many forms, Wildshape into a War Troll, 12 NA, plus level 5 of Nature's Warrior, + 5 NA (not actually a bonus, the NA value is made to be 5 higher) + Bite of the werebear, + 9 NA(?) plus Barkskin (a bonus, to your natural armor bonus, lol) for 5 AC

So that's AC 43 before items and before dex, etc. A +1 animated shield (AC 3 or 4) and a wilding clasp on a Monk's belt, (do bracers of armor stack? if they do, there's some stupid awesome synergy) plus some dex items (dex on a war troll is 16) and you are easily up to AC 57 or so.

And that is at level 12. When I was playing this character, I had it figured out to get AC 72.

OH, it was enhaced wildshape (SpC) that was one of the spells to get +2 dex and +1 NA. So we are up to 60 AC right there.

Still treated and using a shield as far as class features go. So no monk's belt.
Also, bite of the werebear is +7 enhancement to natural armor so barkskin has no effect.

So is that +39?

Armor bonus from dendritic and rings of force armor are both armor bonus and do not stack. Also, I think rings of force armor were +4.

Immabozo
2014-02-13, 02:30 AM
Still treated and using a shield as far as class features go. So no monk's belt.
Also, bite of the werebear is +7 enhancement to natural armor so barkskin has no effect.

Barkskin is a bonus to your natural armor bonus it stacks. Cause one is a natural armor bonur, the other is a bonus to your bonus

Hurnn
2014-02-13, 02:42 AM
Does anyone else think its weird that wild shape which now acts as an alternate form (which states anything your new form could wear or carry in your new form stays on you and anything else falls to the ground) still has all your gear meld with you.

eggynack
2014-02-13, 02:44 AM
Does anyone else think its weird that wild shape which now acts as an alternate form (which states anything your new form could wear or carry in your new form stays on you and anything else falls to the ground) still has all your gear meld with you.
Not really. Such is the nature of an exception based rule system.

Jeff the Green
2014-02-13, 02:52 AM
Barkskin is a bonus to your natural armor bonus it stacks. Cause one is a natural armor bonur, the other is a bonus to your bonus

No, they're both enhancement bonuses to natural armor, so they don't stack.

eggynack
2014-02-13, 03:20 AM
Especially because barkskin explicitly says that it doesn't stack with enhancement bonuses to natural armor. That's about as clear as things can possibly get.

Immabozo
2014-02-13, 11:41 AM

I re-read it and you are correct. Just another instance of piss poor wording.