PDA

View Full Version : Disciple of Dispater With a Bow

Sketchopotamus
2014-02-12, 02:15 PM
So like the thread title suggest. Would Disciple of Dispater's Iron Power work with a bow? it says in Book of Vile Darkness

Iron Power (Ex): When using an iron or steel weapon, a 4th-level disciple of Dispater gains a +1 insight bonus on attack and damage rolls. Furthermore, his threat range is doubled as if he were using a keen weapon. At 8th level, the insight bonus improves to +2, and the threat range triples. This ability does not stack with the keen weapon quality, but it does stack with the Improved Critical feat.

Since the actual bow can't be made out of steel or iron, but the arrows can be, would this ability still apply?

shylocke
2014-02-12, 02:25 PM
The majority of the weapon must be metal. There are enchantments that explain it. Just can't remember which ones. Total piss off sometimes.

Forrestfire
2014-02-12, 02:39 PM
While not a bow, Dragon #349 has the Steel Crossbow, a crossbow made entirely out of metal that can be used as a heavy mace in melee if you want.

shylocke
2014-02-12, 02:49 PM
While not a bow, Dragon #349 has the Steel Crossbow, a crossbow made entirely out of metal that can be used as a heavy mace in melee if you want.

If it fires metal bolts then I would say yes it works. But you would.get a penalty to hit and a bonus to dmg for heavy ammo

Slipperychicken
2014-02-12, 03:16 PM
Since the actual bow can't be made out of steel or iron

Bows can be made of steel. Apparently, that was a thing in India for a while.

Brookshw
2014-02-12, 03:23 PM
There's also the elven sword bow in the MiC, that's metal

Forrestfire
2014-02-12, 06:16 PM
If it fires metal bolts then I would say yes it works. But you would.get a penalty to hit and a bonus to dmg for heavy ammo

Given that arrows and bolts can be made of alchemical silver, and alchemical silver specifies that it only works on "a weapon made of steel", I'd think that it wouldn't have a penalty or bonus at all.

hamishspence
2014-02-12, 06:18 PM
Bows can be made of steel. Apparently, that was a thing in India for a while.

It was also a thing in LOTR background material - the Numenorean steel bow of the 2nd Age and early 3rd Age, had a fearsome reputation, according to Unfinished Tales.