PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Warlock style Avatar Crossover

Falcon X
2014-02-12, 03:34 PM
So, I'm trying to create an entirely new system using the basic idea of a 3.5 Warlock, 6 coins, Set HP, and a 5 level progression. It's having a very Avatar: the Last Airbender feel to combat, but otherwise is made for D&Desque worlds.
It's becoming more and more battle oriented, and it may end up looking very non-RPG when I'm done with it, but I'll fight that battle when I come to it.

What I need now:
1. Least, Lesser, Greater, and Dark Invocations for the elements of Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Positive Energy, and Negative Energy. I also have a General category for invocations that all elements can access.
- If anybody has already conceived of this, or some other elementalist warlock, I'd love links.
- I'm really pushing for the flavor of Avatar, so Shape invocations should at least roughly resemble the kinds of things they do. Likewise, their spell-like invocations should conceivably draw from their element.
- Right Now, I am going through all warlock invocations and dividing them up, adding flavor. I'm also looking through shugenja and elemental spells for Invocations.
2. My current Level-Up system works theoretically, but I'm not sure how it'll play out. Here's the idea:
5 Level Progression - A person’s career will progress through 5 levels.
A person reaches a new level automatically when they have learned the following maneuvers in their chosen element:
Level 1: 2 Least Maneuvers
Level 2: 3 Least Maneuvers, 1 Skilled Maneuvers
Level 3: 3 Least Maneuvers, 2 Skilled Maneuvers, 1 Greater Maneuvers
Level 4: 3 Least Maneuvers, 3 Skilled Maneuvers, 3 Greater Maneuvers
Level 5: 4 Least Maneuvers, 4 Skilled Maneuvers, 4 Greater Maneuvers, 1 Master Maneuver My fear here is that the only way to level up is to learn new maneuvers. So, how do they learn new maneuvers?
My current plan is that they must have somebody instruct them, and then must attempt the new maneuver a certain amount of times in battle.

If anyone wants to read the system concept, for reference, here it is:
Level Check Rule System
This Game uses 6 coins.
All manuevers and opposed checks require both parties to flip coins equal to their level.
No check may exceed 6 coins and must be at least 1 coin.

Qualities: Every character, upon creation, will be allocated ranks of A (+1), B (0), and C (-1) in the following categories:
A. Might - Represents all strength, durability, and combat prowess.
B. Intelligence - Represents a person’s knowledge, learned skills, and reactions.
C. Charisma - Represents a person’s presence, internal energy, and force of will.
- Whenever a check is made, the player must analyze which quality the check fits into and add the appropriate modifier from their rank. This will generally be obvious, however some checks, such as a defence roll, largely depend on in what way you take the action.

Classes: A person’s class defines what maneuvers they may learn. A person picks one primary class, and one secondary class. Classes:
Mentalist – Trained in the Manipulation of Minds.
Factotum - Trained in a large number of skills and professions.
Warrior – Trained in Combat.
Elementalist – Manipulate powers of Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Positive Energy, and Negative Energy.

5 Level Progression - A person’s career will progress through 5 levels.
A person reaches a new level automatically when they have learned the following maneuvers in their primary class:
Level 1: 2 Least Maneuvers
Level 2: 3 Least Maneuvers, 1 Skilled Maneuvers
Level 3: 3 Least Maneuvers, 2 Skilled Maneuvers, 1 Greater Maneuvers
Level 4: 3 Least Maneuvers, 3 Skilled Maneuvers, 3 Greater Maneuvers
Level 5: 4 Least Maneuvers, 4 Skilled Maneuvers, 4 Greater Maneuvers, 1 Master Maneuver
A person may learn any maneuver in their primary class, Least and Skilled maneuvers in their
secondary class, and any class may learn Least maneuvers in the Factotum and Warrior categories.

Elemental Affinity:
Most people in this world are born into people groups that are spiritually attached to one of the six elements. On character creation, a character chooses which element they have an affinity for.
- If a person has no elemental affinity, they take both Warrior and Factotum as primary classes.
Elements:
Fire - Reprsents raw plasma. Deals the highest damage.
Water - Represents all liquids. Has highest sorcery and flexibility.
Earth - Represents all solids. Assists most in matter manipulation.
Air - Represents all gasses. Assists most in movement.
Positive Energy - Is the energy of all life and spirit. Known most for healing.
Negative Energy - Represents the void and nothingness. Known for destruction.

Combat Round:
In one round, every living being has 1 Move Action + X Levels of Standard Actions.
Participants take actions simultaneously. All participants can see what the other participants are beginning to do.The participant with the highest level is the quickest to act, but also the last to choose their action, as they are able to watch their enemy the best.
The Environmental takes it’s turn alongside all living beings.
All players Move actions and 1st Standard Actions are declared simultaneously. Higher level characters continue use more standard actions while lower levels are completing their actions and movements.
It is assumed that a lower level character is completing their standard and move actions more slowly and at the same time a higher level character is completing theirs.
- It is assumed that the lower level character is automatically using a basic defence against the higher level enemy’s extra actions. They get no defence boost while using actions, but have +1 coin for defence for basic defence when not actively taking action.
All attacks are Level X vs. Level X coin tosses. If the attacker exceeds the defender, it does Level X worth of damage.
A character may go into Total Defense for the round, giving a +X Level to defense.

NPCs: Every person or creature not controlled by a player is considered a Non-Player Character (NPC).
All human NPCs have the same build as a Player Character.
- Most human NPCs will merely require a favored quality, primary class, level, and minimum
number of maneuvers for their level to be affective.
Creature’s may be anything the Gamemaster can concieve of. Though their attributes will generally be the embodyment of one or more maneuvers that a person learns.

Environment: In addition to NPCs, a Gamemaster is responsible for the Envirmonment.
Environment also uses 6 coins, much like a person.
Every room the characters enter will have an environment type, durability, at least two objects, and a persistent affect.
- All qualities are usually obvious to players and should be told to them upon entering a room.
- Most persistent affects only come into play during combat, when a character is not focused on overcoming the environment.
- Durability is both how much damage terrain items take, and how much boosted defence it can provide a person using it for cover.
Example: Rocky Terrain, level 4 durability, contains boulders and a large cactus. Bipedals must defend against tripping over rocks every round.
Example: Working Factory, level 3 durability, contains conveyor belts, automatons, electric cables, and overhead cranes. Rotates between attacking all invaders with plasma turrets, and requiring all people to dodge the machinery.

And the concepts behind each element:
Fire
Basic Manipulation: Adept draws the natural heat out of the air and hurls it as a fireball at an enemy, or holds it for a split second as a shield. This creates a temporary pocket of cold air at the location that the heat was drawn from.
Movement: A Fire elementalist is continually moving in small and organic movements. This is largely a reaction to the cold air produced from it’s manipulation. Just as a flame seeks out fuel, an adept must move to unexhausted pockets of air to produce new flames.

Water
Basic Manipulation: Water is the most flexible of elements. Most basic water manipulations appear as tentacles of water that move with precision. This is often because an adept has a limited quantity of water on hand, such as what is currently in their canteen. However, when around large quantities of water, an adept can manipulate it in large quantities in bursts or tentacles.
Movement: A water elementalist is the most still of manipulators. They require great concentration for their precise manipulations and are also some of the most able in blocking attacks.

Earth
Basic Manipulation: Earth is the most solid of elements. the basic manipulation involves ripping earth from the ground and hurling it at the enemy. Good adepts will make this earth very compact and cube-like, creating the most solid missile they can think of.
Movement: An earth elementalist moves in very precise and direct movements, generally in straight lines. The sheer force and durability of the element creates little reason for non-direct movement.

Air
Basic Manipulation: Air is the least powerful, but most constant of elements. It manifests itself as precise gusts of wind originating from either the user or the environment.
Movement: An air elementalist never stops moving. The wind is constantly flowing around them, and it behoves them to flow with it. Air elementalists have trouble blocking anything, so they generally dodge. Most tactics involve the placement of their body in space and the willingness to flow with the current of the battle.

Positive Energy
Basic Manipulation: Channelled positive energy generally manifests as a beam, streaming out of the hand of the adept. Instead of damaging the opponent, it heals them for the same amount of damage that would normally be done.
Movement: Positive Energy Adepts are the most organic and least martial of Adepts.

Negative Energy
Basic Manipulation: Channelled negative energy generally manifests as a beam, streaming out of the hand of the adept.
Movement: Negative Energy Adepts are mostly loners and have no formalized movement. However, they tend to seek dwelling in places they have destroyed and aiming for targets that are not, thus spreading their dwelling place. They are most often seen either hiding in the shadows or boldly striding forward with confidence.

LordErebus12
2014-02-12, 03:53 PM
what of blood, metal and lightning bending? perhaps PrC classes?

BornValyrian
2014-02-12, 04:02 PM
If you haven't seen this yet, there is an avatar d20 ruleset that I bet you could use as a base for the elemental moves found here (https://sites.google.com/site/avatard20/), and a non-canon sun-mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3219369&postcount=6) that does a similar thing for positive and negative energy.

Falcon X
2014-02-12, 04:24 PM
Those are great BornValyrian. I'll look over the seeds in the Sun Mage and the feats of the Avatard20 and see how they can work with my Maneuver/Invocation system.
If you can't tell, I'm throwing D&D rules out the window, and have all skills, combat, and feats being incorporated into maneuvers.

Note: I'm calling them Maneuvers instead of Invocations for simplicities sake, since I am running the Warrior and Factotum on the exact same progression style.

what of blood, metal and lightning bending? perhaps PrC classes? Great question. Blood Bending is a Dark (Master) maneuver for Water Adepts. Metal bending is either a Greater or Dark maneuver for Earth. And Lighting is either Greater or Dark Maneuver for Fire.
Any idea of what an Air Bending equivalent might be? Alternative Gas Bending?

BornValyrian
2014-02-12, 04:36 PM
Those are great BornValyrian. I'll look over the seeds in the Sun Mage and the feats of the Avatard20 and see how they can work with my Maneuver/Invocation system.
If you can't tell, I'm throwing D&D rules out the window, and have all skills, combat, and feats being incorporated into maneuvers.

I figured, but you seemed to be fishing for ideas, so I figured I'd provide that.

Great question. Blood Bending is a Dark (Master) maneuver for Water Adepts. Metal bending is either a Greater or Dark maneuver for Earth. And Lighting is either Greater or Dark Maneuver for Fire.
Any idea of what an Air Bending equivalent might be? Alternative Gas Bending?

One thing that they never answer in A:TLA is the possibility of an airbender vacuuming the air our of somebody's lungs. Mainly because they haven't shown any evil airbenders yet, and that seems on par with bloodbending. Perhaps just vacuum-bending?

Falcon X
2014-02-12, 04:57 PM
I figured, but you seemed to be fishing for ideas, so I figured I'd provide that. Oh yeah, you were right on the mark for what I was asking for.

One thing that they never answer in A:TLA is the possibility of an airbender vacuuming the air our of somebody's lungs. Mainly because they haven't shown any evil airbenders yet, and that seems on par with bloodbending. Perhaps just vacuum-bending?It's a good idea, but it doesn't pack the cross-element flavor that the others do. Unless it's crossing with Negative Energy, which could make sense...
Still, seems too weak. Possibly something closer to changing the nature of air?

One idea I'm playing around with is the classic co-relation of the elements as they make up the universe:
Earth=Solids
Water=Liquids
Air=Gases
Fire=Plasma/Phlogiston/Essence
Possibly we can find an answer there. I can conceive of it being the ability to manipulate smoke, poisonous gas, or separate types of air atoms. But I can't think of the practical purpose.

Note: I am making Avatar State a Generalized Dark-Level Invocation. Very few people could access it, but it allows a person to reach back into their past lives and perform any maneuver in the book. Limited usage.