PDA

View Full Version : Cloistered Cleric advice

pandassassin
2014-02-12, 04:09 PM
My friends and I are rather new to DnD, including our DM who only has a little more experience than I do. That said, I decided to make an
evil cloistered cleric because I like the skill monkey concept. I rolled pretty well, if I do say so myself, Str: 14 Dex: 10 Con: 14 Int: 14 Wis: 18 Cha: 16

Our group is pretty relaxed about making changes and will continue to be until level 5 because we're all just learning. So any suggestions as far as switching ability scores or changing feats is fair game... I'm not too sure which scores to increase (including for level 4) nor do I really know what feats I should get. Generally any source is fair game because we're establishing the rules as we go, but I want to keep it within core+ the 'complete' books.

My domains are knowledge (obviously), planning, and trickery..
So my feats are Reach Spell, Persist Spell, DMM (Persist), and Extra Turning...

My plan, which I guess is the primary question, is to go:
1-6 cloistered cleric
7 Loremaster (use secret for free knowledge devotion feat)
8-10 Divine Oracle
11-20 Contemplative..

We're pretty even RP vs Combat, and I guess the only other relevant info is that my character's life goal is immortality hence actually finishing the contemplative class (to become the closest thing, an outsider)

Asteron
2014-02-12, 04:30 PM
\So my feats are Reach Spell, Persist Spell, DMM (Persist), and Extra Turning...

You have to pick up Extend Spell before you can get Persist Spell.

Skevvix
2014-02-12, 04:32 PM
You have to pick up Extend Spell before you can get Persist Spell.

Planning grants extend, in case you didn't know.

Asteron
2014-02-12, 04:38 PM
Planning grants extend, in case you didn't know.

I did not.

Go ahead and ignore me!

Skevvix
2014-02-12, 05:03 PM
My friends and I are rather new to DnD, including our DM who only has a little more experience than I do. That said, I decided to make an
evil cloistered cleric because I like the skill monkey concept. I rolled pretty well, if I do say so myself, Str: 14 Dex: 10 Con: 14 Int: 14 Wis: 18 Cha: 16 Those are some nice rolls! I am assuming you are human since there are no adjustments.

Our group is pretty relaxed about making changes and will continue to be until level 5 because we're all just learning. So any suggestions as far as switching ability scores or changing feats is fair game... I'm not too sure which scores to increase (including for level 4) nor do I really know what feats I should get. Generally any source is fair game because we're establishing the rules as we go, but I want to keep it within core+ the 'complete' books.

This is a great way to get everyone into the feel of their PC, it's how my group integrated me when I first started. As to the stat increases it really depends on what your focus will be. Do you want to be purely focused on skill monkeying or relying on your casting to provide the benefits?

So my feats are Reach Spell, Persist Spell, DMM (Persist), and Extra Turning...

My plan, which I guess is the primary question, is to go:
1-6 cloistered cleric
7 Loremaster (use secret for free knowledge devotion feat)
8-10 Divine Oracle
11-20 Contemplative..

We're pretty even RP vs Combat, and I guess the only other relevant info is that my character's life goal is immortality hence actually finishing the contemplative class (to become the closest thing, an outsider)

Are you aware that you can "give up" your Knowledge domain to get Knowledge Devotion "for free"? You lose all the benefits of the domain, but Know Dev lets you add one Know itself, so that can help make up for it. Also with only a +2 Int mod and one level of loremaster you are limited to...

1 Instant mastery-- 4 ranks of skill in which the character has no ranks
2 Secret health-- +3 hit points
3 Secrets of inner strength-- +2 bonus on Will saves

With that being said I would drop Loremaster altogether in favor of another level of DO to pick up uncanny dodge. I realize you have no dex score, but retaining your dex score means it is that much harder to be Sneak Attacked(plus a DEX item is a great way to help with some of your skills and also AC.)

That's all I have right now, I'll look around for some of the links I have saved somewhere.

Edit: Links!

Cleric Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1238)

Cleric Prestige Classes (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1344)

Rebel7284
2014-02-12, 05:10 PM
The most powerful thing you can do is take Magical Training at level 1 and enter Dweomerkeeper from the Complete Divine Web Enhancement, however, Divine Oracle and Contemplative are nice too. I would take Divine Oracle all the way though because the best ability is certainly the capstone.

Vertharrad
2014-02-12, 06:15 PM
You won't be able to pick up Loremaster till level 8, not 7. I would get into Divine Oracle at lvl 6 instead. As for trading the domain for the devotion feat...make sure you can get the knowledge skills you want going that way.

pandassassin
2014-02-14, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice everybody! First I'd like to clarify that I meant to say extend spell not reach spell, because that's the one given for free with planning domain.

Now that I've read Complete Champion I like the idea of sacrificing the knowledge domain for the knowledge devotion feat much better than putting a throwaway level into forecaster. That said, I'm still not sure about going four levels in DO because I don't really get a benefit from the fact indont have a dex modifier. So, if I were to go that fourth level in DO, should I be putting my level up (4 8 12... ) ability points in sex so I have some benefit to gain?

Lastly does anyone have an opinion on the whole prognostic apostle PrC from CC?

Rebel7284
2014-02-14, 02:13 PM
Thanks for all the advice everybody! First I'd like to clarify that I meant to say extend spell not reach spell, because that's the one given for free with planning domain.

Now that I've read Complete Champion I like the idea of sacrificing the knowledge domain for the knowledge devotion feat much better than putting a throwaway level into forecaster. That said, I'm still not sure about going four levels in DO because I don't really get a benefit from the fact indont have a dex modifier. So, if I were to go that fourth level in DO, should I be putting my level up (4 8 12... ) ability points in sex so I have some benefit to gain?

Lastly does anyone have an opinion on the whole prognostic apostle PrC from CC?

I will go ahead and assume you mean Dex. Although your typo made me laugh. ^^

I would consider getting an item to boost Dex, but put the level up points into Wis.

Honestly, what classes you take possibly make less of a difference than what spells you persist.

Chronos
2014-02-14, 03:21 PM
Cloistered clerics can qualify for Loremaster pretty easily, but they gain very little from doing so. I would probably stay in the base class before I'd go Loremaster on a cloistered cleric.

If your group lacks a dedicated skillmonkey, you can dip one level in any roguish class (ninja has Wis synergy) and take the Able Learner feat (Races of Destiny) to keep your roguish skills high. Though that'd be a feat that isn't going towards Extra Turning, which on a DMM build is often your best choice of feat.