PDA

View Full Version : Can one create a Detective, in a very combat driven session(s)?

killem2
2014-02-12, 04:09 PM
When I stand down from DMing, and move to my friends sessions, they tend to be quite a bit more of a hack n slash, style setup, which I'm ok with.

But I have this tick in the back of my brain, that I want to make a halfling detective or gnome detective (whatever class is best), that his sole purpose is exude the need to sleuth, detect, find, report, his findings so the team can be better off.

watchwood
2014-02-12, 04:12 PM
Rogues and Bards would both be good choices. They've both got enough skill points to handle the social stuff, but retain some decent stabby/support powers, respectively.

Captnq
2014-02-12, 04:18 PM
Sure. Why not. Same thing as a rogue anyways. Being a detective in D&D is basically skill rolls and contacts, and contacts are like... a skill roll. Max ut yout gather information and poof, yer a detective.

Make sure to stock up on detection spells.

Falcon X
2014-02-12, 05:08 PM
I strongly recommend playing either a Beguiler or a Factotum, as both will give you the flavor you want, while still being useful. neither steal the game either, but truly support your allies in an engaging way.
However, both require a lot of creativity and roleplaying, so be warned. They are hard to min/max, and the true pleasure comes in their innovative ideas, not in their stats.

Beguiler rocks in so many ways, especially if you are a gnome that goes Shadowcraft Mage. Then send it into an investigative PrC like Unseen Seer, Vigilante, Master Inquisitive, and you're right where you want to be.

Factotum is great because he's a competent warrior and a ridiculous skill monkey that can have high diplomacy checks, pull off assassinations with Sneak Attack, and prepare any arcane spell in the game if you know you'll need it.