PDA

View Full Version : Vampires in Sunlight?

Wh0sthere
2014-02-12, 04:10 PM
Hello fellow forum goers!

Currently playing in a game and looking to run my own again soon. A player brought up to me that their reoccurring bad guy vampire should find other avenues of kicking over their sandcastles.

However, I would like to find a way to let a vampire walk in sunlight that is more 3.5 based than a homerule or DM fiat. I remember a magic item from ravenloft that is a 1 shot potion that lasts for a day.

Is there anything else that could do this for a vampire(other than darkness spells ,obviously)

Zanos
2014-02-12, 04:19 PM
Liquid Night, Libris Mortis, pg. 75.

Alchemical item, takes a full-round action to apply and protects any creature with a sunlight vulnerablity for one hour. Costs 150 gp per dose.

The Vampire Lord (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a) template also protects the creature from destruction in sunlight, but causes considerable penalties.

Gray Mage
2014-02-12, 04:21 PM
In Return to Castle Ravenloft, there's an wonderous item called Dayheart that gives immunity to daylight, although it's a plot item that is described as priceless.

It's also a bit immobile, as it's a 10 foot wide crystal.

Wh0sthere
2014-02-12, 04:22 PM
Thank you both, exactly what i was looking for! and with such a quick response too :smallcool:

Wh0sthere
2014-02-12, 04:40 PM
I did have a followup question in mind, and decided NOT to make a whole nother thread about it. Said vampire is a draconic vampire from Draconomicon. But the players have only ever seen him in a humanoid form(via at will alter-self item)
He is portrayed as a black knight esk character wielding a greatsword along with other vampire abilities.

We have played alot of pathfinder and have been using that primarily, with feats and PrC options from 3.5. The polymorphing spells have changed.
ALTER SELF
School transmutation (polymorph); Level bard 2, sorcerer/wizard 2
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, M (a piece of the creature whose form you plan to assume)
Range personal
Target you
Duration 1 min./level (D)
When you cast this spell, you can assume the form of any Small or Medium creature of the humanoid type. If the form you assume has any of the following abilities, you gain the listed ability: darkvision 60 feet, low-light vision, scent, and swim 30 feet.

Small creature: If the form you take is that of a Small humanoid, you gain a +2 size bonus to your Dexterity.

Medium creature: If the form you take is that of a Medium humanoid, you gain a +2 size bonus to your Strength.

So, would this mean that my bad guy in question could still fly? It doesnt state that he looses his natural abilities and have done some forum searching but to no avail!

HaikenEdge
2014-02-12, 04:50 PM
A little late, and slightly off topic, but a vampire who became a vampire via Shadow Sun Ninja's capstone ability is immune to sunlight.

Bakeru
2014-02-12, 04:55 PM
So, would this mean that my bad guy in question could still fly? It doesnt state that he looses his natural abilities and have done some forum searching but to no avail!It's Transmutation (Polymorph), and as such subjected to the general Transmutation (Polymorph) rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Transmutation).

More precisely: While under the effects of a polymorph spell, you lose all extraordinary and supernatural abilities that depend on your original form (such as keen senses, scent, and darkvision), as well as any natural attacks and movement types possessed by your original form. You also lose any class features that depend upon form, but those that allow you to add features (such as sorcerers that can grow claws) still function. While most of these should be obvious, the GM is the final arbiter of what abilities depend on form and are lost when a new form is assumed. Your new form might restore a number of these abilities if they are possessed by the new form.

Seriously, I managed to look that up even though I don't even play Pathfinder >.>

Wh0sthere
2014-02-12, 05:05 PM
thank you for the clarification, if the new form had wings(even if the spell doesn't grant flight) you could then use them.

Bakeru
2014-02-12, 05:21 PM
Actually (although you edited that part out of your last post, it was a valid point), sorry for sounding/reading condescending. It is one sentence in a text which is several paragraphs long and on another page, so missing it isn't exactly hard.

But yes, Alter Self into something that can fly because of its shape allows you to fly, Alter Self into something that can't fly only allows you to fly if you could fly before due to something that didn't depend on shape (with an extra "Should be obvious, but in doubt, the DM is right"-note tacked on)

Crake
2014-02-12, 06:00 PM
I recall a spell that shrouded a target in shadows, so it looked like they were always standing in the shade (not super dark, just shaded looking, so not TOO dodgy), and it made the subject immune to the effects of sunlight vulnerabilities. Cant for the life of me remember which book or what it was called though

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-12, 06:11 PM
I believe the spell in question is called cloak of shadows. I think. Pretty sure it was developed by the drow to aid in surface raids. Possibly in Drow of the Underdark.

There is also a spell, maybe called shade, in Sandstorm, designed to grant shade from the desert sun.

Finally, there is an item, called night extract, made by the shadar-kai. I'm not clear if it would aid vampires (the RAW is a bit vague on if it affects natural light, but logic says it would be fairly useless if it didn't). Anyway, you activate it by throwing it to the ground, works in a 20' radius, reduces light levels to starlight, and lasts for 10 minutes. Only 50gp, too, so a pretty sweet Get Out of Jail card for a vamp. Found in Fiend Folio, and note that the RAW is 3.0...the rules for concealment levels changed in 3.5. There was a 3.5 update booklet issued for Fiend Folio which may have addressed the issue (but probably did not).

Ansem
2014-02-12, 06:26 PM
Feat Endure Sunlight
Template Master Vampire
Sunscreen (EXISTS! can't remember what book though)
Several cloaks and items do it as well.

Zanos
2014-02-12, 09:51 PM
I recall a spell that shrouded a target in shadows, so it looked like they were always standing in the shade (not super dark, just shaded looking, so not TOO dodgy), and it made the subject immune to the effects of sunlight vulnerabilities. Cant for the life of me remember which book or what it was called though
Armor of Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/spells/armorOfDarkness.htm), perhaps?

It doesn't do anything against sunlight specifically, but if it's concealing you in shadows, the light isn't reaching you. It does offer the +Turn Resistance for undead, though.