PDA

View Full Version : Researching spells from another list

Asteron
2014-02-12, 04:22 PM
Is it possible/wise to allow a player to research a "new" spell from another class list onto theirs?

Whenever I switch out from DM to player after the next adventure, my character would benefit greatly from having Greater Mighty Wallop and Scintillating Scales on the Cleric list. Would it be wrong to ask my DM to allow me to research turning them into divine spells?

Haldir
2014-02-12, 05:40 PM
Independent Research is allowed by the rules. As a DM, I don't feel it would be wise to Rule 0 this out of existence because it severely hinders a characters ability to be unique.

Asteron
2014-02-12, 05:42 PM
Independent Research is allowed by the rules. As a DM, I don't feel it would be wise to Rule 0 this out of existence because it severely hinders a characters ability to be unique.

I guess my actual question is whether that is a valid application for the rule...

Sorry about the poor wording in the OP.

SPoilaaja
2014-02-12, 05:51 PM
Talk to your future DM. Remember though, that clerics are already one of the most powerful classes out there and increasing the spell list of a tier 1 could be a big no no.

Haldir
2014-02-12, 05:51 PM
The character creates the spell, he doesn't draw it from a list. Assuming it's level is appropriate, what does it matter if a similar spell exists elsewhere? Apple vrs. Windows, my friend.

veti
2014-02-12, 05:53 PM
I think clerics are all about the fluff.

If the spells you want are thematically appropriate to your deity and/or domains, then there's no problem with researching them. Go for it.

If your god is a borderline-pacifist healing type, then "Mighty Wallop" probably isn't for you.

qwertyu63
2014-02-12, 05:54 PM
Is it possible/wise to allow a player to research a "new" spell from another class list onto theirs?

Possible: Of course, it is always possible to allow a player to do something. You could allow a fighter to have a 1/day Wish SLA, if you wanted.

Wise: Meh, I see no issues with it. As long as they don't abuse it, it should be fine.

Ravens_cry
2014-02-12, 06:07 PM
Personally, I'd prefer they research a completely new spell rather than simply plagiarize one from another spell list.

Asteron
2014-02-12, 06:07 PM
I think clerics are all about the fluff.

If the spells you want are thematically appropriate to your deity and/or domains, then there's no problem with researching them. Go for it.

If your god is a borderline-pacifist healing type, then "Mighty Wallop" probably isn't for you.

He is a cleric of Bahamut, so Scintillating Scales is definitely within flavor. He is definitely a fighter-type, so GMW wouldn't be out of the question.

qwertyu63
2014-02-12, 07:53 PM
Personally, I'd prefer they research a completely new spell rather than simply plagiarize one from another spell list.

I'll have you know my spells have a works cited page!

weckar
2014-02-12, 08:37 PM
To be fair, I always saw spell research as being more in the realm of arcane magic... Since Clerics in particular pray and request spells from a deity (or a 'power') researching a new spell would imply either that the deity broadened their reach or that the cleric is tapping into another power. Both possibilities have implications beyond the one spell.

eggynack
2014-02-12, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't do this, at least not on tier one casters. Those classes are defined by the few things that they don't have on their list, and the ability to research spells from other lists eliminates that meager quantity of class difference.

HunterOfJello
2014-02-12, 10:41 PM
The title and first sentence of spell research specifically define it as "Researching Original Spells". If a spell already exists in the game on another class list, then the spell isn't original. The RAW and RAI of the entire section refers to spells that are being created by the imagination of the player and not taken from another official 3.5 book.

There are already tons of ways that you can get a spell on your class list to use it personally using feats, PrCs, and other methods. Go ask around on ways to get specific spells on your list by using those.

eggynack
2014-02-12, 10:54 PM
The title and first sentence of spell research specifically define it as "Researching Original Spells". If a spell already exists in the game on another class list, then the spell isn't original. The RAW and RAI of the entire section refers to spells that are being created by the imagination of the player and not taken from another official 3.5 book.
I don't really care for the odd RAW argument, because it doesn't really get you anywhere. It all leads to a weird game where you make minor changes to the spell, asking, "Is this original? How 'bout now?" The barrier to originality could be as low as the fact that the original spell wasn't on your list, and now it is on your list, or maybe it has a subtly different duration, or range, or whatever.

What constitutes an original spell, and on a higher level, what constitutes a spell you can research, is pretty much entirely fiat based. Thus, the question becomes, in which direction should that fiat turn? I would pretty much ditch the rule entirely, in my version of things, because I don't think casters need this, and I don't do things that make casters better, as a rule. RAW doesn't, and really shouldn't, ever enter into it. Anything involving spell research is practically starting out in houserule and homebrew territory as far as I'm concerned.

Haldir
2014-02-13, 01:11 AM
Anything involving spell research is practically starting out in houserule and homebrew territory as far as I'm concerned.

This is the point of spell research and the best reason to keep it, it involves characters getting creative for the game. If I had to houserule it in any direction, I'd give all classes spell research, as that seems pretty logical to begin with. (As logical as magic spells can be, of course.)