PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Rage vs. Control Shape Skill

Magesmiley
2014-02-12, 06:36 PM
Ok playgrounders, I'm forseeing this coming up in my campaign before too much longer and I wanted to get some opinions.

Does a barbarian's rage preclude being able to use the Control Shape skill (hiding in the back of the Monster Manual or at the end of the Lycanthrope monster entry for the SRD).

Control Shape is a Wisdom skill, so it isn't explicitly on the list of skills that can't be used while raging. The real question in my mind is whether the skill requires patience or concentration. The exact phrase in the rage ability that I'm wrestling with is "or any abilities that require patience or concentration...".

Does this apply to Control Shape? I'm looking for opinions and reasons.

Thanks!

Bakeru
2014-02-12, 06:51 PM
I don't think it needs patience, but I'd definitely say it needs concentration.
Still, I'd probably make an exception for a transformation from human to were-form - something like that seems like it could be triggered by rage. Just transforming back wouldn't work.

Eldonauran
2014-02-12, 07:31 PM
I would have to disagree with Control Shape being a skill that requires concentration. At least, in part.

As far as I can tell, you mostly use the skill to resist involuntary change. This shouldn't require concentration as you are merely trying to ignore the temptation to change. It should be as simple as a saving throw, but in a skill check instead.

You have the option to voluntarily change between forms. It is this application that I would say requires concentration, as you are trying to direct the change directly.

That's my two copper anyway. :smallsmile:

Rijan_Sai
2014-02-13, 12:33 PM
Still, I'd probably make an exception for a transformation from human to were-form - something like that seems like it could be triggered by rage. Just transforming back wouldn't work.

I like this stance. It has a very Werewolf: The Apocalypse feel to it.

Magesmiley
2014-02-14, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the input.

I think that I'm going to probably going to run with the ruling that using the Control Shape skill for a voluntary change (regardless of the form being changed to) is blocked by the barbarian's rage, but that the skill can still be used to resist an involuntary change when raging.

Thanks again!