PDA

View Full Version : Crafting Cost Mitigation

EugeneVoid
2014-02-12, 07:26 PM
How cheap can we craft things? (Magic Items)

I'll start:

50% crafting

Diarmuid
2014-02-12, 07:35 PM
This seems like a fun game: 0% crafting

Did I win?

AdamantlyD20
2014-02-12, 07:51 PM
Item Requires Skill to Use: Some items require a specific skill to get them to function. This factor should reduce the cost about 10%.

Item Requires Specific Class or Alignment to Use: Even more restrictive than requiring a skill, this limitation cuts the price by 30%. Found here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems/magicItemCreation.html)

Reduce materials/ improved reduce materials/ greater reduce materials: item may be crafted at 1/4 less cost/time, 1/2 less cost/ time, and finally at 3/4 less cost/ time

Extraordinary Artisan: When determining the gold piece cost in raw materials you need to craft any item, reduce the base price by 25%.

Favored in the Guild (arcane): Arcane: The guild subsidizes the creation of magic items, reducing your raw material costsby 5%.

Apprentice (craftsman): A craftsman mentor is skilled at building things. A craftsman grants his apprentice a +2 competence bonus on all Craft checksand a 10% discount when he purchases raw materials for items he makes (including items made with the Craft skill or with an item creation feat, but not spell components or services).

weckar
2014-02-12, 07:56 PM
You missed racial restrictions. Also 'cursed' items cheapen the process, I believe.

AdamantlyD20
2014-02-12, 07:58 PM
Idk how the reduction costs work together. But if you just add them all up its a 155% reduction in the normal crafting price. (310% Price reduction from full price?)

weckar
2014-02-12, 08:02 PM
I'm pretty sure it works multiplicatively, not additively..... wouldn't make sense if it could go over 100%

Harrow
2014-02-12, 09:05 PM
Most people use multiple cost reduction methods multiplicatively.

There is an exception, the Unbound Scroll prestige class. It cuts the cost of making scrolls by 10%, and an additional 5% per level of the class. This is explicitly additive with Extraordinary Artisan, so with all 5 levels of the class, that's a cost reduction of 60% when making scrolls. This could be driven higher by taking Legacy Champion, but that's a good way to get a whole truck full of DMGs thrown at you.

Oh, and that 60% cost reduction? That's before you take in to account the base 50% cut from market price you get for crafting. So with just Extraordinary Artisan and 5 levels of Unbound Scroll (which are honestly pretty good even without the cost reduction) you're looking at paying 20% market price for all of your scrolls.

Oh, and these scrolls? Unbound scroll gives you a bonus to activating them and lets you expend daily uses of your Dragonmarks to raise their caster level, DC, add metamagic to them, and, as a capstone, straight up duplicate them.

Does that count as crafting? 'Cause that's 0 gold, 0 xp, 1 daily use of a spell-like ability. It can only be used for spells up to 6th level, and none with XP or expensive material components, but if you get even a few days of downtime then you can make a whole stack of them.