PDA

View Full Version : PF Brain Squid

CrankyPsion
2014-02-12, 11:07 PM
I pray I do not invoke the wrath of the ocean sorcerers for this.

Ok so in PF there are no mindflayers...but what if I wanted them for my campaign?

A campaign that would never be published, just for fun, never ending in any notoriety or monetary gain for myself blah blah blah....

If someone wanted to be a mindflayer could one not...reflavor on of the psionic races? Or maybe use them as a blueprint to stat out a weak then just take levels in psion or something similar?

My idea from a creative standpoint was that there are mindflayers all throughout the universe, and this character (maybe a PC) was sent to learn all that he could in preparation for colonization.

Is my idea feasible from a mechanics standpoint, or heresy
All opinions and advice welcome.

Domriso
2014-02-12, 11:47 PM
In your own campaigns you can use whatever you wish. As you can see, even on these boards illithid homebrew exists, so there's no issue there. The problem comes with copyright, so as long as you don't try to publish, you can do whatever you want.

OzymandiasX
2014-02-13, 11:44 AM
If you're a GM, you can put anything into your game you want. You could add Darth Vader and Mickey Mouse.

CrankyPsion
2014-02-15, 01:30 AM
Which takes me to the next part of my post, in PF is a mind flayer PC possible?
My thoughts were to reskin one of the psionic races (tinker accordingly) so that we have something not uberf*** powerful and then apply levels of a psionic class.

Suggestions? Opinions?

Try not to throw tomatoes.

BWR
2014-02-15, 06:19 AM
Sure mind flayers are possible. The question is how balanced you want it.
Take the 3.5 illithid, psionic or arcane as you please, convert. Or find someone else's conversion. Done.

If you don't want something damn powerful why do you want an illithid in your game? You might try monster class levels presented in Savage Species and convert that. That can give you a being that can grow into its power. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7947714&postcount=13)'s one local attempt

CrankyPsion
2014-02-18, 12:54 AM
To me the possibilities of interesting RP come before power.
My idea for the PC:

-Mindflayers gain a +2 intelligence +2 Dexterity -2 Charisma

-Aberrant Blood: Mindflayers are aberrations

-Medium: Mindflayers are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

-Speed: Mindflayers have a base speed of 30 feet.

-Naturally Psionic: Mindflayers gain the Wild Talent feat as a bonus feat at 1st level. If a Mindflayer takes levels in a psionic class, it instead gains the Psionic Talent feat.

-Mindflayers recieve a +4 to CBM when grappling

- +2 to two knowledge skills, these skills become class skills.

-Repletion (Su): A Mindflayer can sustain its body without need of food or water. If he spends 1 power point, a Mindflayer does not need to eat or drink for 24 hours.

-Psionic Aptitude: When a Mindflayer takes a level in a favored class, it can choose to gain an additional power point instead of a hit point or skill point.

-Telepathy: Mindflayers have telepathy with 30 ft range. All sentient creatures within 30 feet can "hear" what the Mindflayer is telepathicly saying, but recipients must respond verbally as they do not have the mental faculties to respond telepathicly in return. Must share common language to understand.

-Languages: Mindflayers begin play speaking Common. Mindflayers with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic).

As for the rest I thought progressing in classes like psychic warrior, or psion, would complete the Mindflayer we are all familiar with. If not a psionic class, spells/abilities from whatever class the Mindflayer is taking could be reflavored into iconics such as the mindblast.

CrankyPsion
2014-02-18, 07:32 PM
Then again...I guess they could be the new Elans...
Seems just as likely they would create psionic beings that look like that as making them to look like Gingers...