PDA

View Full Version : Robilar's Gambit and Combat Reflexes and AoO

AlanBruce
2014-02-13, 12:06 AM
Greetings! I have a Boneclaw (MM3) with Combat Reflexes, which allows him to make AoO/round equal to his dex modifier.

On top of that, he has Robilar's Gambit, which reduces his AC and if hit, allows him to make an AoO.

The Boneclaw has a sudden claw attack, which can stretch his claw up to 20ft. (more than what his large size would threaten).

So I have this scenario:

Large warrior charges Boneclaw with the feats above.

At the 20ft mark, claw comes in as an AoO.

Once the large warrior moves in and if it hits, would Robilar's Gambit trigger as well?

DeltaEmil
2014-02-13, 12:20 AM
Yes. Robilar's Gambit does work in that situation.

The attack of opportunity granted by Robilar's Gambit triggers after the attack of the enemy warrior, no matter if it hits or not.

shadisky
2014-02-13, 12:45 AM
Aren't you only able to make one attack of opportunity per round on a given target, or did that get errata'd?

kardar233
2014-02-13, 12:49 AM
Aren't you only able to make one attack of opportunity per round on a given target, or did that get errata'd?

No, it's just that you can't make more than one attack of opportunity at a target for a single action. If you have 20ft reach and an enemy moves adjacent to you, you only get one attack of opportunity despite the fact that he strictly speaking provoked you three times (one each from moving out of the 20ft square, the 15ft square, and the 10ft square).

Vogonjeltz
2014-02-13, 04:16 AM
No, it's just that you can't make more than one attack of opportunity at a target for a single action. If you have 20ft reach and an enemy moves adjacent to you, you only get one attack of opportunity despite the fact that he strictly speaking provoked you three times (one each from moving out of the 20ft square, the 15ft square, and the 10ft square).

I'd have to look it up, but I think moving through threatened space only ever provokes once.

kardar233
2014-02-13, 04:17 AM
I may not be using the semantically correct terminology: it may be more correct to say that you cannot provoke more than one AoO from a single target with a single action.

TypoNinja
2014-02-13, 04:32 AM
Combat Reflexes and Additional Attacks of Opportunity

If you have the Combat Reflexes feat you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.

You only get one attack of opportunity per specific provoking action, however movement is specifically called out as only counting once no matter how many squares he moves through.

Crake
2014-02-13, 05:21 AM
Greetings! with Combat Reflexes, which allows him to make AoO/round equal to his dex modifier.

I feel like I need to point out that with combat reflexes, you still retain your initial attack of opportunity, meaning you get 1+ dex modifier attacks of opportunity a round. Also don't forget that combat reflexes allow you to take attacks of opportunity while flat footed, which you normally cannot do.

weckar
2014-02-13, 05:49 AM
I'm pretty sure it is a fact that an OoT cannot break a charge. Otherwise the Charge action wouldn't make sense at all. Otherwise, completely rules legal.

TypoNinja
2014-02-13, 06:08 AM
I'm pretty sure it is a fact that an OoT cannot break a charge. Otherwise the Charge action wouldn't make sense at all. Otherwise, completely rules legal.

Course it can, that's half the fun.

"the enemy charges you!"

"With my reach weapon I trip."

"Enemy prone, 10 feet away. Sucks to be him"

OP mentioned he was large. Look into a feat called "Large and In Charge" Allows free bullrush on an opponent you AoO to push him back to where he provoked from, with a bonus on the check the more damage you do. And it ends his movement.

Its from the Draconomicon, very easy to qualify for.

weckar
2014-02-13, 06:11 AM
Trip != a standard OoT attack. Sure, you can do it, but it's an exception and not a rule.

Diarmuid
2014-02-13, 10:04 AM
It's completely RAW and legal to make a trip/grapple/sunder/disarm attack as an AoO.

The only attack actions that cannot be used in an AoO are anything that have a specific action type (standard, full attack, full round, etc) associated with them.

weckar
2014-02-13, 11:27 AM
I know. I said it wasn't a standard. A 'normal' OoT (please excuse my archaic use of that, by the way) attack would not break a charge.