PDA

View Full Version : Holding a Portal OPEN? (3.5)

ChaoticDitz
2014-02-13, 12:17 AM
Basically, I'm looking for ways to keep planar portals/gates open longer against the wishes of their users.

I don't care if this comes through spell, feat, complicated extended technique, or whatever. It only has two prerequisites; it has to work for keeping the thing open (whether by RAI or RAW, not gonna be a stickler about which you use) and it needs to be able to work with a decent enough quickness that it could be a legitimate response in an emergency. A thirty in-game minutes spell chain or just "kill the thing that wants to close the portal" are both rather invalid for what I'm asking, though I guess the first still counts if it just has long pre-prep and the actual execution is quick.

Something where the sequence would go like, BBEG uses Gate for planar travel purpose, runs through and intends to close portal behind him (I don't know the rules about how long a Gate stays open, it's just for example purposes), PC uses Immediate/Readied Standard action to complete trigger or cast spell, forcing the Gate to stay open so the PCs can pursue quickly.

Zytil
2014-02-13, 01:03 AM
I assume there are problems with the methods of:

1: Counterspell the gate itself/Force a concentration check.

2. Cast some form of divination, Cast gate/plane shift.

3. Dimensional Anchor.

Other than that i have no idea.

Also, Gate is instantaneous, it doesn't stay open unless the caster concentrates normally.

The Oni
2014-02-13, 01:07 AM
If there's not a means to do this already, it sounds like there should be. Maybe in the form of a homebrew magic item? Doorstop of Greater Obstruction?

*scribbles*

Zytil
2014-02-13, 01:08 AM
Doorstop of Greater Obstruction?

This sounds like an excellent new application for the portable hole.

ChaoticDitz
2014-02-13, 01:11 AM
I assume there are problems with the methods of:

1: Counterspell the gate itself/Force a concentration check.

2. Cast some form of divination, Cast gate/plane shift.

3. Dimensional Anchor.

Other than that i have no idea.

Also, Gate is instantaneous, it doesn't stay open unless the caster concentrates normally.

Pretty sure you have to concentrate on keeping it open long enough to walk through it if you're intending to use it for planar travel purposes :smallamused: though I guess I could be wrong.

Zytil
2014-02-13, 01:14 AM
Pretty sure you have to concentrate on keeping it open long enough to walk through it if you're intending to use it for planar travel purposes :smallamused: though I guess I could be wrong.

The spell description doesn't actually clarify this as far as i can tell. Looks like an "ask your DM" kind of thing.
Also, Time in D&D is wierd sometimes, so i really wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have to concentrate.