PDA

View Full Version : Character Help

Vesth
2014-02-13, 01:25 AM
Hello. I'm joining a new Game IRL, and these are the stats I rolled up.

Str: 12
Con: 15
Dex: 14
Int: 15
Wis: 16
Cha: 15

Good rolls all round, mostly because the DM keeps letting me reroll :smallsmile:
Now, one of the other players is playing an Elf Rogue with great bow, something to do with "cunning sneak with treetop sniper and opportunity sidestep mc ranger paragon sharpshooter. Can oa with ranged weapon. Average 50-70 Damage Per Turn at paragon level." His words.

Since they seem to have striker covered, I figured I may as well go Leader or Controller. I'm open to ideas, but so far, I'm considering Deva Wizard|Cleric. Battle Cleric's lore for the scale mail. Would it be feasible to go pacifist cleric and pick wizard spells like Hypnotism?

Tegu8788
2014-02-13, 01:45 AM
I'm about to pass out, but I want to say, despite having a bunch of ok stats, you don't have a good one, unless you can boost Wisdom.

Also, pacifist is just bad.

Hybrids, I love them, are hard. These stats help, but still rough.

I'll give more later. I hope this is all legible.

Kurald Galain
2014-02-13, 03:31 AM
The wizard's best control spells also include damage, so pacifist cleric is not recommended.

sniffies
2014-02-13, 07:01 AM
I've seen lots of love for Cleric|Invoker hybrids.

Here's the CharOp build I found. (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3112446)

It's easier to RP, as well, if you ask me.

Vesth
2014-02-13, 07:56 AM
Thank you! I've reread Pacifist Cleric, and looking at what other people are saying, I would follow your suggestions and drop that idea altogether :smallsmile:

I might go for the Cleric|Invoker build posted by sniffies, though I'm also curious what Tegu has up his sleeve.

Tegu8788
2014-02-13, 12:24 PM
I was gonna suggest Cleric|Invoker, actually. Battle Cleric lore obviously, take advantage of your Wisdom. Whatever your race is, make sure it buffs Wisdom. If you continue with Deva, that's a good one for this.

You've got solid secondary stats basically everywhere, so the flavor of Invoker and Cleric is up to you. But again, Pacifist is no good. Wiser folk than I have explained it throughly in another recent thread, you can read through it.

Invoker is one of the best Controllers in the game, second only to the Wizard. The Cleric, the best healer in the game. And, the Cleric may also be the best Hybrid in the game.

If you want Channel Divinity that's an easy pick, as Battle Cleric's lore will more than cover your armor. In fact, they both have the exact same armor, so the feat is worthless anyway. You'll have solid AC, and NADs will be good too.

Invokers have some nice Rods, Staffs are always fun, and Holy Symbols are pretty fun. And, you can wield all three at the same time if you want. So, find the best properties you can, and use them.

Power wise, you'll have plenty of good options. The Cleric has plenty of healing in there if you need more, and both class have good control powers. You should be able to get in the middle of things and blast away.

A fun thing about the Covenants, they trigger on Divine powers, not Invoker powers. So, feel free to mix and match, and always get your bonus. I'd recommend Preservation, simply because it has the most Leaderlike ability, but Wrath is always a solid choice.

Worth asking, what level are you starting at?

Vesth
2014-02-13, 04:45 PM
Level 1...or level 4, the reason of which is a little complicated to go into here. Thanks for the advice!

Kimera757
2014-02-13, 07:50 PM
Hello. I'm joining a new Game IRL, and these are the stats I rolled up.

Str: 12
Con: 15
Dex: 14
Int: 15
Wis: 16
Cha: 15

Good rolls all round, mostly because the DM keeps letting me reroll :smallsmile:

As stated elsewhere, these aren't actually great stats, because your accuracy will be very low. Take an expertise feat and, if a weapon, a sword rather than anything else!

Now, one of the other players is playing an Elf Rogue with great bow, something to do with "cunning sneak with treetop sniper and opportunity sidestep mc ranger paragon sharpshooter. Can oa with ranged weapon. Average 50-70 Damage Per Turn at paragon level." His words.

Given the thousands (literally) of feats, I can't confirm if an OA with a ranged weapon is actually possible, but certainly not in the basic rules.

Since they seem to have striker covered, I figured I may as well go Leader or Controller. I'm open to ideas, but so far, I'm considering Deva Wizard|Cleric. Battle Cleric's lore for the scale mail. Would it be feasible to go pacifist cleric and pick wizard spells like Hypnotism?

Neither of those brands of cleric really synergize well with wizard. Battle clerics need Strength. There are quite a few Essential wizard powers that don't deal damage (many slide or daze) but IMO not enough. You'll be far more pacifist cleric than wizard. Also the stats don't really synergize.

If you want control and leadership, with your Wisdom I would recommend invoker and devoted cleric. My cleric PC only reached 5th-level, and was on the way to multiclassing with invokers (I avoid hybrid classes like the plague, which means I can't comment on that combo from experiernce). If you had really wanted to be a wizard, a wizard/artificer probably suits your needs, but you don't have good ability scores for that combination.

Tegu8788
2014-02-13, 08:18 PM
There is a difference between being a Battle Cleric, and using Battle Cleric's Lore. And a Cleric|Wizard is a good combo, just not for these stats, or with Pacifist.

Dimers
2014-02-13, 09:35 PM
Another point of view on the original question ... You sound pretty new to 4e (not intended as an insult -- as Dar Williams says, "it's not your fault, it's just your turn"), and in my experience building and playing a controller well isn't as easy as building/playing a leader well. Also, using even a prefab hybrid build can be an iffy proposition for a new player, especially with rolled stats rather than the normal point-buy. So I'd strongly suggest a single-classed leader. And given that your Wisdom modifier is better than any other, that means you'd be most effective with a single-classed cleric or shaman.

Clerics are definitely simpler, and the existence of Battle Cleric's Lore makes them a great choice for a newbie. Shaman can be fascinating to play and incredibly cool to refluff, and they're more likely to have good NADs than the Wis+Cha cleric, but for getting used to the game I'd go with cleric.

Vesth
2014-02-13, 09:56 PM
I appreciate the concern, but I'm not exactly new to 4e :smallsmile:

I've played a couple of characters before (all PBP in this forum), and I've done Wizard, so I can handle controllers. What's new is that I haven't played a cleric. Or a hybrid. So I'm stepping outside of my comfort zone to try new things!

Swordmage
2014-03-06, 11:06 AM
Well a leader isn't always necessary. In my opinion the entire group should come to a conclusion together. Some just want to watch the world burn and will do something deemed insane, but there'll be a way to keep fellow members of your party happy. You might want to go avenger, they're strikers yes but you've rolled descent and with enough upgrades you can hold your own in defense while still naturally being strong. Go off of what your allies do and find a role that hasn't been filled.