PDA

View Full Version : Construct with Class Levels

muzzilla
2014-02-13, 06:41 AM
Are there any rules/guidelines in relation to building a construct as a player and adding class levels?

I see there are a few people creating these but is it simply DMs creating harder encounters or can players get in on the fun as well?

Is it as simple as paying the cost of additional HD and just replacing those HD with a class level?

IE: The infamous Shadesteel Golem Base HD18, pay 5000gp to add a class level?

Then at the 9th level you would have to pay 50000gp since it bumps it up a size? (I got the cost for improving a construct from rules of the game at wizards)

Is there a limit to what classes/amount of levels you can add? (Creator wizard must know a level 9 rogue if they want to add 9 levels of rogue?)

weckar
2014-02-13, 07:20 AM
You may want to have a look at incarnate construct. That template exists mostly for the purpose of making constructs playable.

Yogibear41
2014-02-13, 09:26 AM
I think by the rules, non-cohort constructs do not gain xp therefore they cannot gain class levels. (I am assuming you are talking about intelligent, non-player character constructs, if not please correct me) as far as "building class levels" that is also a no go I believe, as the cost for adding hit die is the cost for adding construct racial hit die.

If you want to have a cohort construct that gains HD the Maugs in fiend folio are intelligent and have a listed LA(so they can also be played as PCs) they should be able to gain class levels if they are cohorts.

I am a little iffy on the all the cohort rules because I have never done the leadership/make an army route on a character, but I was under the impression cohorts had to be either playable characters race wise or have a listed LA labeled as "cohort" therefore things like golems with no LA could not be cohorts even if they have been awakened, of course I could be completely wrong but that seems incredibly game breaking if its aloud.

Although in the 3.0 savage species book several golems do have listed LAs later in the book on a large table, specifically iron, flesh, and clay if I remember correctly. I think they were absurdly high though so you would probably be better off with a Maug.

On a similar topic: An incarnate construct Maug is a large giant with +7 nat armor, +10 str, +4 dex, +2 int, and +2 cha, 40 ft speed, and only 2 racial hit die with a +1 la. Depending on how you interpret the rules it is also potentially proficient with armor and weapons, they also receive skill points as an outsider for their construct HD, which do not get recalculated after the template is applied.

TuggyNE
2014-02-13, 08:52 PM
Are there any rules/guidelines in relation to building a construct as a player and adding class levels?

I see there are a few people creating these but is it simply DMs creating harder encounters or can players get in on the fun as well?

Is it as simple as paying the cost of additional HD and just replacing those HD with a class level?

IE: The infamous Shadesteel Golem Base HD18, pay 5000gp to add a class level?

No. You add RHD with those extra gp; class levels can only be gained by experience, so far as I know.

Then at the 9th level you would have to pay 50000gp since it bumps it up a size? (I got the cost for improving a construct from rules of the game at wizards)

No no no. Class levels never increase size, that's only RHD.

otakumick
2014-02-13, 10:51 PM
pretty sure a shadesteel golem with class levels would need to have been "Awakened" first using the Awaken Construct spell. Making it a creature with intelligence and therefor able to gain levels in classes(though not necessarily playable for anyone other than the dm what with no level adjustment) so once you have an awakened golem its up to your dm whether or not you can use it as a character.

Urpriest
2014-02-13, 10:54 PM
Here's the thing: constructs are no different from other creatures. So if you know the answer to this question about non-constructs, you know the answer for constructs. And if you don't know the answer to either, you should read my Monster Handbook (link in sig) which explains how monsters advance.

Particle_Man
2014-02-14, 01:00 AM
I thought Warforged was this concept.

Maginomicon
2014-02-14, 01:16 AM
I thought Warforged was this concept.
Quesar also work, although they use Monster Classes.
I've also heard that Maug work.

Thurbane
2014-02-14, 05:43 AM
Quesar also work, although they use Monster Classes.
I've also heard that Maug work.
I haven't run one personally, but I have a soft spot for Maug. Definitely having one as an NPC in my next game.

Erik Vale
2014-02-14, 06:05 AM
Rules and guidlines, yes I believe there are.

LA - or X.
If it has a -, it's unplayable, if it has a X, it's playable with that much extra LA.

I think money would have to be payed at character creation, and I think it would count to your level cap... And if not, yay, your fighter sans class features who's not getting any XP anytime soon.

Chronos
2014-02-14, 10:08 AM
Even unplayable creatures can still have class levels as NPCs. You need an Int of at least 3 to have class levels, though, and most constructs are Int --.