View Full Version : I need some "god" help

sniffies
2014-02-13, 08:01 AM
In my campaign, the nation's central theme is religous tolerance. The main city has worshippers of any one of the gods, who swap between them at a whim. Their whole mantra is learning the teachings of all the gods to become one with everything.
The idea here is that the system is doomed to fail, for more than just religous reasons. But where I need help is this:

Which gods, per RAW or whatever, would be adverse to the idea of being worshipped in the same place as their cohorts?

I'm already assuming the gods of "chaos" will be incredibly unhappy with the sort of peaceful living going on. I need a lot more. This is my fault for building such a world without knowing everything about the gods, but I'm rolling with it.

Gavran
2014-02-13, 08:51 AM
A few questions first:

Do you want to know because you need to build up a list a gods that will oppose the city, or because you need to know who to leave out?

How active are the gods in your setting?

What gods (or group of gods) exist in your setting? I get the feeling you didn't homebrew a pantheon, but for example the FR pantheon is different from the "default" pantheon which is in turn different from the Eberron divinities and so on.

sniffies
2014-02-13, 08:59 AM
Do you want to know because you need to build up a list a gods that will oppose the city, or because you need to know who to leave out?
I'm trying to give the PCs as many options as possible to "defeat their oppresors". So the first one. I want Gods that dislike this city, good or bad.

How active are the gods in your setting?
I haven't used them yet, but my PCs each have a background which implies a godly influence. They have not yet been active in the kingdom, but are apt to start soon.

What gods (or group of gods) exist in your setting? I get the feeling you didn't homebrew a pantheon, but for example the FR pantheon is different from the "default" pantheon which is in turn different from the Eberron divinities and so on.
I'm allowing anything from RAW, pretty much. I know FR gods arent supposed to exist in tandem with Eberron and whatnot, but if the palyers want them they're handwaved in.

Juzer
2014-02-13, 09:47 AM
I would suggest to spice up the thing: chaotic gods against the city is rather boring, whereas you can have temples for both greater gods, minor gods and exarchs,
and the first group being jealous of the latter because they pretend much more respect, more clergymen, and bigger altars because they are used to have much more attention and power among the people, even if they are in the same moral team of some minor gods and exarchs.
It will be something like old aristocrats against the new competitive bourgeois class in the '700.

sniffies
2014-02-13, 10:16 AM
I would suggest to spice up the thing: chaotic gods against the city is rather boring, whereas you can have temples for both greater gods, minor gods and exarchs,
and the first group being jealous of the latter because they pretend much more respect, more clergymen, and bigger altars because they are used to have much more attention and power among the people, even if they are in the same moral team of some minor gods and exarchs.
It will be something like old aristocrats against the new competitive bourgeois class in the '700.

Great idea! This is definitely an option I'll give to the players. Having the comparison to bourgeois gives me a good analog to work with.

Mando Knight
2014-02-13, 11:10 AM
Polytheism (the practice of venerating multiple deities for their multiple purposes) is the default assumption in D&D.

However, in the standard 4e setting, Bahamut and Tiamat as well as Corellon (and Sehanine) and both Gruumsh and Lolth, can't stand each others' presence in general. (Tiamat is Bahamut's "sister," and each is the other's opposite. Corellon smote Gruumsh's eye and banished Lolth from the Seldarine.) Ioun wishes to reveal the secrets that Vecna hoards, and Vecna desires to gather Ioun's knowledge to himself alone.

The Good and Unaligned gods can generally get along with each other.

sniffies
2014-02-14, 06:29 AM
The Good and Unaligned gods can generally get along with each other.

I'm trying to imagine the different ways in which they might assist in the deconstruction of this city. Of course, evil gods might just destroy things, but the good ones might choose diplomatic means. The neutrals have some fairly unique traits, as well. I imagine Kord would help in a siege against the corrupt government, while Erathis might encourage education for the "untouchables" to outmaneuver the prideful elite.

Athistaurr
2014-02-14, 08:14 AM
Two "good" gods that oppose each other are Melora (nature) and Erathis (urban).
Strictly they contradict each other and while i can imagine people to set up temples for both in the city the inner tension of which path to follow may ultimatly prove to much for mortals.

Another god that would could hate this setup is Avandra. While written as a good god i see avandra as borderline evil. A city where everybody is peacful and in harmony with the universe is anathema to adventuring. Avandra might help whereever necessary to create conflict.

sniffies
2014-02-14, 08:54 AM
Melora (nature) and Erathis (urban).
Sweet! The city itself was built in a caldera, so Melora has that going, and its construction was grand beyond belief, so Erathis would be more apt to saving its beautiful structure...

Avandra might help whereever necessary to create conflict.
One of the PC backstories was waking up with a token of Avandra around his neck and using it for safe passage on a freight ship... very cool.

Angel Bob
2014-02-14, 02:20 PM
While "willing instigator of doom" is a really interesting angle for Avandra, I don't see her that way. She's the patron of adventure and exploration, and while those activities do come with a connotation of danger, there's no need for that danger to stem from the actions of evil entities. Wild beasts, toxic plants and fungi, precipitous terrain, and other hazards should pose enough of a challenge to Avandra's faithful, at least according to my interpretation.

But in fairness, "willing to tear down a working system just to spice things up a little" is actually a really cool take on the goddess of adventure. Perhaps I should use that sometime.