PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Fungus Monsters?

mattimus1
2014-02-13, 08:55 AM
So I'm running a fairly story-heavy 3.5 campaign... My 10th-level party is about to meet a pretty important NPC who lives in a large underground complex. The NPC has been alone there for a VERY long time, and I thought it would be really interesting to give her the "Spore Carrier" trait from DMG2, and have her live on the other side of her own fungus-cave-garden-area. (FYI the Spore Carrier trait gives 100% immunity to fungus monsters and oozes)

For story reasons, the NPC is an Apostle of Peace from BoED... I would LOVE to have my PCs have to navigate the fungus cave to get to her. So I really would like to populate the cave with some fungus creatures to deal with.

And because of the NPC's sensibilities, the PC's would be STRONGLY encouraged to not damage the fungus, and either have to incapacitate or avoid them.

All that being said, I'm having trouble finding fungus-type creatures that are above CR4 (Violet Fungus, Gas Spore, Shrieker, Ascomoid, Phantom Fungus...). I'm also not sure if I want to use Myconids either.

Does anyone know of higher-leveled fungus monsters? Or any other suggestions?

In case anyone's interested, here's my campaign page: https://ember-fire-wind.obsidianportal.com/

KorbeltheReader
2014-02-13, 09:01 AM
You could reflavor some plant creatures as fungus, and there are a number of those of appropriate CR. Don't forget, too, that you can advance monsters to increase their CR.

G.Cube
2014-02-13, 10:35 AM
You can make a topiary guardian anything, MM3, P.173. Maybe refluff or add templates to make them more fungus-y?