PDA

View Full Version : Children of Men (spoilers possible)

Mr._Blinky
2007-01-28, 07:56 PM
So, anyone else see this movie? I though it was pretty good, though crazy bloody, with probably one of the highest body-counts of any movie I've seen in years, especially if you count deaths you know happened but didn't directly see. Hell, by the end of the movie only two characters ever introduced are even still alive, and one is a baby. My friends and I all agreed that it ended either two minutes late or fifteen minutes early, depending on how you look at it.

Anyone else have different thoughts?

Bouldering Jove
2007-01-28, 08:49 PM
Fantastic film in every respect that ended in exactly the right place and, unfortunately, will almost certainly be overlooked for major awards.

Mr._Blinky
2007-01-28, 09:23 PM
Fantastic film in every respect that ended in exactly the right place and, unfortunately, will almost certainly be overlooked for major awards.
I agree with everything there except the ending in exactly the right place. I think it should have ended either two minutes earlier or about fifteen minutes later. IMO, one way to go is to just have Key stranded out their on the boat, and to never see the ship before the movie ends, and not have any idea what happens. But if you show the ship arriving, you kind of need to know at least a little of what happens after that, so it feels a little incomplete.

slipnslide
2007-01-31, 09:04 AM
I agree with everything there except the ending in exactly the right place. I think it should have ended either two minutes earlier or about fifteen minutes later. IMO, one way to go is to just have Key stranded out their on the boat, and to never see the ship before the movie ends, and not have any idea what happens. But if you show the ship arriving, you kind of need to know at least a little of what happens after that, so it feels a little incomplete.

i agree. i think i would have liked it better if i didnt see the boat.

Indurain
2007-02-01, 09:36 PM
I disagree, I think you really need to see that boat. You need that closure. That sense of "Thank goodness it wasn't all for nothing."

I'd say this was definately my favourite movie of this year; and probably my favourite since Magnolia. I haven't been so emotionally attached to characters since the aforementioned Magnolia. The story is intriguing, the characters well fleshed out, the acting PHENOMENAL! Some of the most original and awe-inspiring cinematography I've ever seen. (Watch the car chase scene again and realise that it never cuts. 5 people in a car + cameraperson...camera gets out of car, back into car...not one single cut).

I also just bought the soundtrack yesterday and it's brilliant. Throughout the entire movie I was thinking "I gotta get this soundtrack." and I'm glad I did.

I don't know what else to say about this movie but WOW. It sure got the shaft from the Academy if you ask me.

Mr._Blinky
2007-02-04, 11:12 AM
I disagree, I think you really need to see that boat. You need that closure. That sense of "Thank goodness it wasn't all for nothing."

I'd say this was definately my favourite movie of this year; and probably my favourite since Magnolia. I haven't been so emotionally attached to characters since the aforementioned Magnolia. The story is intriguing, the characters well fleshed out, the acting PHENOMENAL! Some of the most original and awe-inspiring cinematography I've ever seen. (Watch the car chase scene again and realise that it never cuts. 5 people in a car + cameraperson...camera gets out of car, back into car...not one single cut).

I also just bought the soundtrack yesterday and it's brilliant. Throughout the entire movie I was thinking "I gotta get this soundtrack." and I'm glad I did.

I don't know what else to say about this movie but WOW. It sure got the shaft from the Academy if you ask me.
Personally, I disagree about the boat, but that's it. I agree that it was incredibly well acted. And come to think of it, I didn't notice that about the chase scene, but you're right. The other scene with impressive cinematography was the scene in the warzone, with everything blowing up around him. Yeah, I agree that they got screwed for by the academy.

twerk_face
2007-02-04, 07:54 PM

First of all, this is the best movie i have ever seen in theatres in every way. The acting, the plot, the screenplay, the CINEMATOGRAPHY (OH MY MUTHER FARKING GAWD), the sets, the costume design, everything.

Second of all, the car chase wasnt the longest single shot. They had a ten minute one during the Rebelion at the end. TEN FIRKING MINUTES. Do you realize how absurdly ridiculas that is, even WITHOUT the explosions and warfare going around in the sceen??????? I dont think you guys do. loool. The firking lens got splattered with blood halfway through the shot!!!!! And it STILL came out!!!!!!!!!!!! This movie was robbed. Hands down. It should win Best Picture, Best Cinematography, Best Acting by a Male Lead (Clive Owen), Best Costume design (FLIPFLOPS!!!!), the list goes on.

Ok, im hyperventilating.

Zophiel
2007-02-05, 11:17 AM
I finally got around to seeing this on Saturday, and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. The shaky-cam, although I understand why it was done, was a bit distracting since it tends to set off my motion sickness, but that really is the worst thing I can say about this movie. I thought the small nuggets of humor and levity interposed throughout kept the story from becoming too bogged down and angsty, which it could easily have been otherwise.

As for the ending, which seems to be pretty hotly contested in this thread, I would have to side with those who think that it ended just right. This reminds me of endings in all manner of books that I've loved: namely, the story ends when you know the main character(s) accomplished the goal. In the context of Children of Men, the very existence of the Human Project was pretty much a matter of faith for everybody, and it seemed that most were skeptical at best with regards to that organization's existence. The ship showing up, with the name it was supposed to bear, proved that the faith of those who were willing to beleive was not misplaced. This means that there actually might be a chance for humanity to continue after all. Anything beyond that is essentially superfluous to the story - in fact, it may well have ruined the story to give more than a "the cloud does have a silver lining, after all" ending. Anything less than proving that they did or didn't exist would have been a great disservice to the audience after taking them on such an emotionally visceral ride for two hours.

However, I must say this is by no means a film to take one's tiny infant to. I wouldn't have thought this needed saying, but apparently it does. My girlfriend and I were shocked by a couple who brought their baby, who was probably edging close to a year but not quite there, to see this movie - at 9:30 at night no less. Fortunately, they had the good sense to leave when the baby started making lots of noise, but seriously... If they were going to drop the $20 to go to the theater, they might as well shell out some extra money for a sitter. Or just save their money and rent something from the video store.