PDA

View Full Version : need help with TOB stuff in build.

morkendi
2014-02-13, 11:25 AM
Toying around with a build. Thinking warblade1/ dread necro 6/ ur-priest 2/ mystic therge8/ ?? For last 4 lvls. Will be starting around 12, just planing ahead. At 12, my initiator lvl would be 6 because its rounded down? I just don't know what stances and such would best benefit this type of character. We just starting to use TOB stuff in game. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the urpriest caster level is effected by the caster lvl of other classes. Would his initiator lvl effect it?

Darrin
2014-02-13, 12:52 PM
At 12, my initiator lvl would be 6 because its rounded down?

Yes. Warblade 1 with 11 non-martial adept levels would be 1 + (11/2) = 6.5, round down to 6.

I just don't know what stances and such would best benefit this type of character.

There's a rule that says your first stance needs to be 1st level (although there's an argument that this doesn't apply if you don't "begin play" as a Warblade). If all you're taking is one level of Warblade, then it probably depends on how much time you expect to be in melee (your build looks a lot more like a REMF than a frontliner).

If you expect to spend a lot of time making melee attacks, then Punishing Stance is good.

If you expect to do a lot of ubercharging, then take Leading the Charge instead.

If you're more of a "stand behind the meatbags" kind of guy, then take Bolstering Voice and let your minions get their hands dirty.

We just starting to use TOB stuff in game. Any help would be appreciated.

Elfin's Warblade Handook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176968) is a good place to start.

Also, the urpriest caster level is effected by the caster lvl of other classes. Would his initiator lvl effect it?

No.

morkendi
2014-02-13, 02:08 PM
I'll have to look into bolstering voice. Use it to buff my undead maybe. Going to play around on paper and see how these classes mesh together.

Red Fel
2014-02-13, 02:13 PM
The key thing to remember with any ToB dip is when you take it.

If your very first level is a ToB level, then you only qualify for first-level maneuvers and stances. You can't swap them out later, because the ability to swap maneuvers only comes from successive levels of your ToB class, although you can add to them via feats (Martial Study, Martial Stance).

However, if you are willing to wait to take a ToB dip until later, you can add up your IL, in the manner detailed by Darrin. Take your non-ToB class levels and divide by two, add that to your ToB class levels, and that's your IL. Your IL determines the level of maneuvers and stances you can take.

For example, if you wait to take Warblade at level 5, your IL is 3 (2 for 4 non-ToB levels, 1 for Warblade), which qualifies you for second-level maneuvers. If you wait until level 9, your IL is 5, and you can take third-level maneuvers (assuming you can meet the prerequisites).

As Darrin mentioned, there is dispute over whether the first stance you take must be a first-level stance, or whether that only applies to characters who take a ToB class at level 1.

morkendi
2014-02-13, 03:11 PM
Can do dread necro 6 first as I am using warblade to get the saves needed to enter urpriest. I figured even though its only a 1 lvl dip to get the saves, it would give a little more utility to the build than a lot of other dips for the fort save needed.