PDA

View Full Version : A Call to the Brewers: Lamia Race/Class

7th son of sons
2014-02-13, 01:31 PM
Hello. I am in an attempt to start a new campaign, and one of my players has asked me if it would be at all possible to play a Lamia, specifically a snake bodied Lamia. I have no problems with this, as the player is a known non-power gamer, and it is unlikely that she will use this race for anything more than roleplay tool or to spice up the group. The Problem arises when I want to start a campaign at very low levels (1 or 2 at the most), and Lamia are effectively EL 13 (Even Higher for Lamia Matriarchs).

So I deciced I would seek the aid of some more experienced homebrewers. I have used homebrew from this thread before, and have faith in the capabilities of those who frequent it. So here is my request: Can anyone design a functional, balanced Race, or Savage Progression type set up, for a Snake-Body Lamia? The player has only expressed interest in the following aspects of the Lamia: Snake Body, Immunity to Tripping, and a Racial Bonus to Reflex saves, though they have also hinted at wanting some of there SLA's and something to represent the Lamia's brutal nature.

So, is anyone capable of designing sucha class/Race? It would be greatly appreciated, as my own attempts at homebrew have had mixed results, as well as not having the time between school and writing for the actual campaign. I thank any of you in advance for helping me with this, admitidly, Odd Request.

Mighty_Chicken
2014-02-13, 02:55 PM
I don't consider myself an experience homebrewer, but my little experience tells me that:

- An ability penalty helps a lot to balance it or at least make it more similar to other races' frame. I'd say it should go to Charisma since it's the lowest attribute on their sheet; unless, of course, you want lamias to be good seducers.

- You'll have to choose which abilities receive bonuses. Their biggest abilities are Str and Wis; +2 Str, +4 Wis and -2 Cha seems ok for LA+2. Unless you want the temptress theme; then you could go +4 Wis, +2 Cha and perhaps -2 Dex.

- Wisdom drain could happen, as a high-level racial feat. A lot of stuff could happen as racial feats.

- Immunity to trip is cool, but consider their size. Large size + stability (the dwarven trait) would mean they'd be pretty much immune to trip - a first level, 1 hd lamia would be as good as resisting trip as a 8th level fighter with the same Str score.

- About size again, I don't think it's necessary, but it's cool to make them really different. However, IMHO they should be only considered Large for: the grapple, trip and bull rush maneuvers; AC/attack penalty; and Move Silently penalty, unless you want them sneaky for their size. They'd have reach, use weapons and the disarm and sunder maneuvers and medium sized creature. That'd be pretty much balanced. Then, instead of Stability you could give them a +6 racial bonus to resist trip attempts, and there you go, pretty much resistent to trip!

- I think 1st level spells once a day are more than ok for this level of power. I'm talking about disguise self and vestriloquism.

So a draft of a Lamia could be like this IMO:

+4 Wis, +2 Cha, -2 Des

Large size

- Medium torso. Affects disarm and sunder maneuvers, reach and weapon size.

- Tail. +6 bonus to resist trip attempts.

- Add +1 to the DC of illusion spells

- 1/day: disguise self, ventriloquism. Additional uses of each spell require a DC 20 Fortitude check to not get fatigued, adding +5 to the DC for every extra use. If she was already fatigued failuire results in exhaustion and if she was exhausted failute results in unconciousness.

[Intended] LA+2

Just to Browse
2014-02-13, 06:19 PM
A great location to increase your request's visibility is in the Request a Homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219438) thread.

Links and such will also help (such as the D&D lamia (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lamia.htm)), and I guarantee that if no one responds and/or you don't like the result, I will do it for you within a week.

7th son of sons
2014-02-14, 08:42 AM
A great location to increase your request's visibility is in the Request a Homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219438) thread.

Links and such will also help (such as the D&D lamia (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lamia.htm)), and I guarantee that if no one responds and/or you don't like the result, I will do it for you within a week.

Oh, wow, I didn't know that even existed. Thank you sir, I'll see what I can turn up.