PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Shamon Help.

WanderinCourier
2014-02-13, 01:36 PM
Howdy Everyone,

I'm creating a new character for an ongoing campaign that being said I値l be jumping in as a Level 9 Human (?) Dragon Shaman I'm thinking about doing a red totem dragon, but I知 not solid about that yet.

My question is mainly about the Breath attacks, are they considered a spell like ability? Would doing one in combat create an attack of opportunity? Also is picking Red totem a good or bad decision?

(And yes from what I've been reading in the forums a lot of people prefer dragon fire adept, it just doesn't seem as fun to play so that痴 why I知 swaying more towards Dragon Shaman.)

shylocke
2014-02-13, 01:44 PM
Red dragon is one of the stronger combat totems. I believe it is a supernatural or extraordinary power. We had one in a party. He chose green. We did not get along with that char. So he got disappeared

WanderinCourier
2014-02-13, 03:29 PM
I believe it is a supernatural or extraordinary power.

So would the feat "Consecrate Spell Like Ability" Affect it?

KorbeltheReader
2014-02-13, 03:32 PM
The Dragon Shaman's breath weapon is a supernatural ability, not a spell-like ability. So no, consecrate spell-like ability would not work.

WanderinCourier
2014-02-13, 03:41 PM
So what would you all suggest as my 5th feat? Right now i have Power Attack, Leap Attack, Improved Initiative and Entangling Breath?

Grayson01
2014-02-13, 04:54 PM
I ahve played a few Dragon Shamans its is one for my favroite base clases. for feats Recover breath, and clinging breath are okay choices, frightful presense from the Draconomicon if you wanna go more I am a Dragaon. Shock Trooper is another good one. Knowledge Devotion is another good one (epsecially with the Errent since they get Arcana) then you can pick local or one of the other good Knowledges. I would not go with Red, fire is one of the most resisted elements, also I am not a fan of treasuer finding is one of my least favorite special ablilities. I like the Acid Dragon Shamans the most. If you like Stealth Black is a good choice, Copper will get you 24hr spider climb. I would use a Long spear and a Morningstar as a back up, Javalins for range.

WanderinCourier
2014-02-13, 05:20 PM
Copper will get you 24hr spider climb.

So are you saying that The character would constantly be able to use the spider climb ability?

Though thanks for telling me about Frightful Presence. It does sound interesting, I'm Definitely going to consider it.

Thurbane
2014-02-13, 07:11 PM
I'm also going to vote copper. I played one through EttRoG, and it was a blast.

At will Spider Climb is great. I also like the breath weapon - line means you can hit from further away, and slightly less creatures tend to have acid resistance than fire or cold.

gorfnab
2014-02-13, 11:08 PM
This may provide some insight: Dragon Shaman Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214007).
I like the setup of the Dreadful Wrath feat, the Imperious Command feat, and the Never Outnumbered skill trick.

Grayson01
2014-02-13, 11:42 PM
So are you saying that The character would constantly be able to use the spider climb ability?

Though thanks for telling me about Frightful Presence. It does sound interesting, I'm Definitely going to consider it.

Yup i most certainly am :-) And at 13th level you can share it with your party.

Most of the other Dragon Shamans have Water breathing. silver gets you feather fall, White Gets you I don't slip on ice, Brass is Endure Elements, Blue is Ventriloquism, red is Treasure Seaker.

Spider-Climb is by far the coolest (IMO) although I do like water breathing.

What is your goal and charcter concept you are going for?

WanderinCourier
2014-02-14, 09:41 AM
What is your goal and charcter concept you are going for?

To be honest with my goal i'm just playing it by ear so far i still have a couple weeks before i'm jumping in with this charcter. I'm not sure how i'm wanting to play this charcter just yet, all i do know is that i don't want to have another skill monkey character, i was hoping for something to help out in battle but not be worthless outside of it. Honestly I'm willing to accept as much or as little help as you all want to give me, I'm still new to D&D as a whole this campaign is my first and its been going on for about a month now. (And i've kinda already killed one maybe two chatacters, Between having alot to learn and terrible dice rolls... Yea...)

I might not use this for this campaign. It kinda depends on if my current character survives what i wandered into. (DM gave me 1/5 chances of Surviving so this is my back up.)

Grayson01
2014-02-15, 01:40 AM
Well for starting auras I always start with Energy Shield, Vigor, and senses. Wile exploring I leave senses up to improve ambush avoidance, and initiative. Also check out some of the alternate auras on page 86 of dragon magic. Some of which will befit your other party members. I would take the alternates In place of toughness. The vigor aura after combat will heal your party members to half health to reduce healing cost and before resting to insure max health gains. Presence is good to help your party face and also talk with your DM me and mine agreed that the presence aura improves the DC of the frightful presence feat. If you use a spear take power attack to help damage. In combat I pretty much always had energy SHEILD up, occasionally power. If you take copper the added skills are Bluff, hide, and jump. Copper Dragons tend to be jokesters so you could play that up or go another route. For mine I made him extremely hot tempered. I have him the aggressive trait. Plus 2 to initiative -1 to ac. Try and pick a personality or an archetype from page 136 of PHB 2 and play off those.