PDA

View Full Version : Magic items required by level?

The-Mage-King
2014-02-13, 05:34 PM
So, I've noticed a number of people saying that 3.5 requires you to have X magic items of Y power by a given level for the math to work out.

Does anyone happen to have the numbers handy? I'm talking about a level-by-level list, or, failing that, 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th's required bonuses to keep the math right.

OldTrees1
2014-02-13, 05:40 PM
This is not a level by level list but it is the list of necessary magic items: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851

The-Mage-King
2014-02-13, 05:44 PM
This is not a level by level list but it is the list of necessary magic items: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851

That's more a list of "Required special abilities", honestly. I'm talking the bread-and-butter stuff, like Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and such.

The stuff that makes the math work out, basically.

OldTrees1
2014-02-13, 05:49 PM
That's more a list of "Required special abilities", honestly. I'm talking the bread-and-butter stuff, like Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and such.

The stuff that makes the math work out, basically.

In 3.5, unlike in 4e, the math works out regardless of "+number" magic items. (due to the flexibility of the math).

However this list of minimum levels might interest you: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16416299&postcount=21

The-Mage-King
2014-02-13, 05:58 PM
In 3.5, unlike in 4e, the math works out regardless of "+number" magic items. (due to the flexibility of the math).

However this list of minimum levels might interest you: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16416299&postcount=21

Oh, yes. That's going to help.

However, even 3.5 does have expected stuff. I'm trying to toss together some rules for a lower-magic-item game, without many of the standard plusses.

OldTrees1
2014-02-13, 06:09 PM
Oh, yes. That's going to help.

However, even 3.5 does have expected stuff. I'm trying to toss together some rules for a lower-magic-item game, without many of the standard plusses.

3.5 has an expected WBL which provides a benefit however the expectation is not any more specific than that. So the distribution of wealth across categories will vary from individual to individual (making a level by level chart subjective).

Glad I could be of help. Do note that the accompanying thread is also relevant to your goal.

Thurbane
2014-02-13, 07:08 PM
So, I've noticed a number of people saying that 3.5 requires you to have X magic items of Y power by a given level for the math to work out.

Does anyone happen to have the numbers handy? I'm talking about a level-by-level list, or, failing that, 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th's required bonuses to keep the math right.
Magic Item compendium has tables a bit like this, but they are pretty universally accepted as being waaay underpowered.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-02-13, 07:30 PM
The guidlines you're looking for are in the MM, actually. In the constructing a monster section, it discusses what the numbers for creatures of different roles should be at a given CR. If you simply replace creature with character and CR with character level those numbers remain valid as an absolute minimum for competence.

The items that you need are the simple +X to Y value items that would allow you to meet those numbers. Incidentally, WBL is -very- close to providing exactly that if you go with the DMG equipment.

herrhauptmann
2014-02-13, 10:18 PM
Try to follow wealth by level guidelines. For your noncasters (and partial casters) it's usually ok to go over WBL by a bit.
That said, characters don't do well if 90% of their wealth is concentrated in one item.

Techwarrior
2014-02-14, 01:31 AM
The guidlines you're looking for are in the MM, actually. In the constructing a monster section, it discusses what the numbers for creatures of different roles should be at a given CR. If you simply replace creature with character and CR with character level those numbers remain valid as an absolute minimum for competence.

The items that you need are the simple +X to Y value items that would allow you to meet those numbers. Incidentally, WBL is -very- close to providing exactly that if you go with the DMG equipment.

I'm glad I'm not the only DM who uses those guidelines (and/or knows of their existence). Buffs that your party plans to use for most combats and such can even be substituted for the plain +X to Y items that the game expects.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-02-14, 01:38 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only DM who uses those guidelines (and/or knows of their existence). Buffs that your party plans to use for most combats and such can even be substituted for the plain +X to Y items that the game expects.

That's a dangerous method to use, it takes time and actions to employ buffing magic, but it -can- work. I'm not so fond of having to pigeon-hole someone into playing the buffer either. Finally, I'm even less fond of the party's mundane characters being so utterly dependent on the party's casters for mere survival, even if I expect -all- of the PC's to rely on one another for victory.

Giving them the items, or at least access to them, bypasses these issues.