PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Arcane Archer (PEACH, FIX)

BelGareth
2014-02-13, 07:20 PM
Arcane Archer

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
BAB: +4
Feat’s: Point blank shot, Combat casting
Spells: Ability to cast 1st-level spells

Class skills (4 + Int Modifier per level): are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcane)(Int), knowledge (the planes)(Int), knowledge (religion)(Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Use Rope (Dex).

Alignment: Any

Hit Dice: d8

LevelBABFortRefWillSpecialSpellcasting

1st
+1
+1
+1
+0
Enhance Arrow +1
+1 level of existing class

2nd
+2
+1
+1
+1
Arcane Channeling

3rd
+3
+2
+2
+1
Enhance Arrow +2

4th
+4
+2
+2
+1
Imbue Arrow

5th
+5
+3
+3
+2
Enhance Arrow +3

6th
+6
+3
+3
+2
Seeker Arrow

7th
+7
+4
+4
+2
Arcane Channeling (Full attack), Enhance Arrow +4

8th
+8
+4
+4
+3
Hail of Arrows

9th
+9
+5
+5
+3
Enhance Arrow +5, Endless supply

10th
+10
+5
+5
+3
Arrow of Death

Proficiencies: An arcane archer is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields.

Spells per Day: When a new arcane archer level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an arcane archer, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Enhance Arrow (Su): At 1st level, every arrow an arcane archer nocks and lets fly becomes magical, gaining a +1 enhancement bonus. Unlike magic weapons created by normal means, the archer need not spend experience points or gold pieces to accomplish this task. However, an archer’s magic arrows only function for her. For every two levels the character advances past 1st level in the prestige class, the magic arrows she creates gain +1 greater potency (+1 at 1st level, +2 at 3rd level, +3 at 5th level, +4 at 7th level, and +5 at 9th level).

Imbue Arrow (Sp): At 4th level, an arcane archer gains the ability to place an area spell upon an arrow. When the arrow is fired, the spell’s area is centered on where the arrow lands, even if the spell could normally be centered only on the caster. This ability allows the archer to use the bow’s range rather than the spell’s range. The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action or less. It takes a standard action to cast the spell and fire the arrow. The arrow must be fired in the round the spell is cast, or the spell is wasted.

Arcane Channeling (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, you can use a standard action to cast any touch spell you know and deliver the spell through your weapon with a ranged attack. Casting a spell in this manner does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action or less. If the ranged attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally; then the effect of the spell is resolved.

At 7th level, you can cast any touch spell you know as part of a full attack action, and the spell affects each target you hit in that round. Doing so discharges the spell at the end of the round, in the case of a touch spell that would otherwise last longer than 1 round.

Seeker Arrow (Sp): At 4th level, an arcane archer can launch an arrow once per encounter at a target known to her within range, and the arrow travels to the target, even around corners. Only an unavoidable obstacle or the limit of the arrow’s range prevents the arrow’s flight. This ability negates cover and concealment modifiers, but otherwise the attack is rolled normally. Using this ability is a standard action (and shooting the arrow is part of the action), which can be combined with your arcane channeling ability.

Hail of Arrows (Sp): In lieu of her regular attacks, once per encounter an arcane archer of 8th level or higher can fire an arrow at each and every target within range, to a maximum of one target for every arcane archer level she has earned. Each attack uses the archer’s primary attack bonus, and each enemy may only be targeted by a single arrow. Using this ability is a full round action, which can be combined with your arcane channeling ability.

Endless supply (Sp): With a bow at hand, and magic at your fingers, an arcane archer is never without ammunition. At 9th level, as long as the arcane archer has a 2nd level spell slot available or readied spell remaining, she can create arrows as a free action as she pulls her bowstring. These arrows last for 1 round after creation and are destroyed upon impact.

Arrow of Death (Sp): At 10th level, an arcane archer can create an arrow of death that forces the target, if damaged by the arrow’s attack, to make a Fortitude save or be slain immediately. It takes 24 hours to make an arrow of death, and the arrow only functions for the arcane archer who created it. The arrow of death lasts no longer than one year, and the archer can only have one such arrow in existence at a time. The DC for this arrow is 10 + ½ your character level + casting stat.

~

2/13/14, 4:19 - created
2/13/14, 6:58 - added in spells per day, and limited 'imbue arrow' to spells that take a standard action or less as arcane channeling.
2/15/14, 7:49 - changed HD from d10 - d8, changed skills, and Endless supply requiring a 2nd level spell instead of a 3rd level spell.

BelGareth
2014-02-13, 07:23 PM
Because, why not?
I couldn't find one, so I made one.
Obvious mishmash of duskblade and original arcane archer.

Note the lack of spell type in entry req's, to allow Rangers/duskblades/martial casters to enter.

Should I reduce the spellcasting progression? It feels a little op, but archers have crap options, and gish archers even more so.

Ionbound
2014-02-13, 07:26 PM
Hey, it's Bel! Hey Bel, how've you been? As for the class, I'd play it. It's the essence of an Arcane Archer, but with full casting which took away from the playability as a gish-y ranged build. Looks great now.

BelGareth
2014-02-13, 07:37 PM
Hey, it's Bel! Hey Bel, how've you been? As for the class, I'd play it. It's the essence of an Arcane Archer, but with full casting which took away from the playability as a gish-y ranged build. Looks great now.

Thanks!

Not too bad, getting more time, hence the brew...

toapat
2014-02-13, 09:20 PM
technically it is kinda broken because you didnt nerf Imbue Arrow to use the chosen spell's casting time, although that raw optimization if you want the uber-nova caster

personally id halve the total length of the class as well

Ionbound
2014-02-13, 09:23 PM
technically it is kinda broken because you didnt nerf Imbue Arrow to use the chosen spell's casting time, although that raw optimization if you want the uber-nova caster

Because the Arcane Archer is in desperate need of a nerf...

BelGareth
2014-02-13, 09:58 PM

Imbue arrow is for functionality/utility, I do not see it as OP, at all....sure, I can add a limit to the casting time...but I don't see how that affects much....no, you are right, sorcerers metamgicking their spells all of a sudden get a free casting reduction at extended range.

Yeah that needs to be fixed.

But other than that, don't see whats broken, (or is that what you were referencing?)

Just to Browse
2014-02-14, 12:22 AM
Or using a standard action to cast hallow or summon monster. But honestly that seems less broken and more... unsuited to the archer.

Notes:
"Arcane" archers without the arcane requirement are weird.
Going into arcane archer grants martial weapon, medium armor proficiency, and proficiency with shields. I can understand the first, but the second is strange and the third makes nooooo sense.
If you include medium saves, could you at least write a note stating which would be good/bad if we used the normal rules?
Their skill list is so bad. Why why why.
Arcane channeling (full attack) should honestly be a level 2 class feature, because buff-wielding archers are already way outperforming their attack spell counterparts.
Endless supply also seems like a low-level class feature; it's basically a reserve feat.
This class has a sizable "less power now for more later" dynamic in the form of feat/BAB requirements combined with full casting. It leads to stuff like duskblade 4 being the best early entry and warmage 8 being the best late entry. I really don't know how to mitigate that problem without totally redesigning the class, but it's something you should keep in mind.

Eloel
2014-02-14, 07:13 AM
Best entry class for this PrC?
Cloistered Cleric.

toapat
2014-02-14, 06:20 PM
Imbue arrow is for functionality/utility, I do not see it as OP, at all....sure, I can add a limit to the casting time...but I don't see how that affects much....no, you are right, sorcerers metamgicking their spells all of a sudden get a free casting reduction at extended range.

Yeah that needs to be fixed.

But other than that, don't see whats broken, (or is that what you were referencing?)

The second half was not calling for nerfs, it was personal opinion stating id crunch the class down to a 5 level class with all 7 features currently in retained.

alot of the point of my post was that, when it comes down to it, if you know where to look (such as most weather effecting spells), you can break the DMG's base Arcane archer to the extent that the casterlevel loss from the levels needed for imbue arrow broke some of the higher power mega-AoEs, the most typical one i know of refferenced being Fimbulwinter.

somewhere in the D20 subforum on here is a complete list of what you use to exploit AA

Vaynor
2014-02-15, 02:22 AM
Hit dice seems too high for what it is. I'd say d8 at the most.

BelGareth
2014-02-15, 10:48 AM
Or using a standard action to cast hallow or summon monster. But honestly that seems less broken and more... unsuited to the archer.

Notes:
"Arcane" archers without the arcane requirement are weird.

You have a point, but its more of a name and less of a requirement, not allowing Rangers who take the Archery specialization is silly, likewise for other casting classes, it's more of a moniker...

Going into arcane archer grants martial weapon, medium armor proficiency, and proficiency with shields. I can understand the first, but the second is strange and the third makes nooooo sense.

I disagree, take a look at official PRC's, a large amount of them grant proficiencies. And an archer without a buckler is a stupid archer.(IMHO)

If you include medium saves, could you at least write a note stating which would be good/bad if we used the normal rules?

Those saves are how Prestige classes are supposed to be written, it is a huge mistake for brewers and WOTC to put regular save progression, take a look at the later PRC's they have these save progressions. You, know, I thought it was like that, but I cannot find anything to back my statements up... if you really want to figure it out, just look at the original Arcane archer.

Their skill list is so bad. Why why why.

Because I took it directly from the Arcane Archer, got a little lazy... I'll fix it...

Arcane channeling (full attack) should honestly be a level 2 class feature, because buff-wielding archers are already way outperforming their attack spell counterparts.

Sorry, but I disagree, with this iteration, the arcane channeling is quite an effective ability, I have never seen a good gish archer (let alone a regular one) out perform spellcasters, with or without brew.

Endless supply also seems like a low-level class feature; it's basically a reserve feat.

Thats because, thats how I designed it. I kept it up higher as it basically is replacing a costly magic item. Think I'm going to change it to 2nd level spell though, to allow usage by rangers.

This class has a sizable "less power now for more later" dynamic in the form of feat/BAB requirements combined with full casting. It leads to stuff like duskblade 4 being the best early entry and warmage 8 being the best late entry. I really don't know how to mitigate that problem without totally redesigning the class, but it's something you should keep in mind.

Again, I disagree, I think the 2nd level arcane channeling is quite a potent ability, it takes away the usual prerequisite of 'touching' your target, something even the duskblade still needs to do, and adds range. And by the time you get it, your CL is enough that anything you hit will feel it.

Best entry class for this PrC?
Cloistered Cleric.

Indeed, I can definitely envision a cleric wielding a bow, channeling Poison, blindness/deafness or contagion. Except of course, the BAB requirement, you wouldn't be able to take levels until 6th...Regular cleric would be better.

The second half was not calling for nerfs, it was personal opinion stating id crunch the class down to a 5 level class with all 7 features currently in retained.

Issue with that is, the Hail of arrows ability wouldn't work well, as it goes off number of class levels for max attacks.

alot of the point of my post was that, when it comes down to it, if you know where to look (such as most weather effecting spells), you can break the DMG's base Arcane archer to the extent that the casterlevel loss from the levels needed for imbue arrow broke some of the higher power mega-AoEs, the most typical one i know of refferenced being Fimbulwinter.

somewhere in the D20 subforum on here is a complete list of what you use to exploit AA

You have a point, but isn't that true for everything?

Hit dice seems too high for what it is. I'd say d8 at the most.

Solid point, I got a little carried away with the beefing up the class for the Archers sake. Would do well with a d8, bringing it back down to the already set standards.

Just to Browse
2014-02-15, 07:06 PM
You have a point, but its more of a name and less of a requirement, not allowing Rangers who take the Archery specialization is silly, likewise for other casting classes, it's more of a moniker...I agree that "spellcaster archer" might as well just be 1 class, but the dissonance is weird. I'd prefer it if the class was given a different name and noted as an "Arcane Archer Fix".

I disagree, take a look at official PRC's, a large amount of them grant proficiencies. And an archer without a buckler is a stupid archer.(IMHO)I looked up the buckler rule, and I'll admit I never noticed it. That's cool then.

Those saves are how Prestige classes are supposed to be written, it is a huge mistake for brewers and WOTC to put regular save progression, take a look at the later PRC's they have these save progressions. You, know, I thought it was like that, but I cannot find anything to back my statements up... if you really want to figure it out, just look at the original Arcane archer.So it's Fort/Ref good, Will bad?

Sorry, but I disagree, with this iteration, the arcane channeling is quite an effective ability, I have never seen a good gish archer (let alone a regular one) out perform spellcasters, with or without brew.Gish archers aren't what I'm worried about. The point is that a cleric archer build will always and forever outperform any guy that wants to shoot arrows that explode and kill dudes. Arcane channeling lets blaster archers remain somewhat competitive, but I don't think it does enough.

Thats because, thats how I designed it. I kept it up higher as it basically is replacing a costly magic item. Think I'm going to change it to 2nd level spell though, to allow usage by rangers.The costly magic item is worth too much. I would personally make it a level 1-2 reserve feat or a long-duration level 2 spell.

Again, I disagree, I think the 2nd level arcane channeling is quite a potent ability, it takes away the usual prerequisite of 'touching' your target, something even the duskblade still needs to do, and adds range. And by the time you get it, your CL is enough that anything you hit will feel it.Yes, but the AA's arcane channeling is not dependent on the duskblade arcane channeling, so a duskblade 4 / AA 6 isn't throwing down more impressive ranged attacks than a warmage 8 / AA 2. Duskblade is the best early-entry class because of full BAB and a repertoire of low-level attack spells, but the warmage is the best late-level entry class because its casting is basically twice as good.

The class features should be written in such a way that duskblades do not feel bad for being inferior at level 10, and warmages do not feel bad for being inferior at level 6. I don't know how to do that, but it's a real glaring error.

toapat
2014-02-16, 01:58 PM
Issue with that is, the Hail of arrows ability wouldn't work well, as it goes off number of class levels for max attacks.

my issue with that is that Both the second level ranger spell (not SRD) and Epic Feat (SRD) Swarm of Arrows do that with no limit to number of targets (or BAB targets), as does improved manyshot.