PDA

View Full Version : SRD Duelist misnamed?

Igan
2007-01-28, 10:14 PM
Okay, while I was checking my SRD source for info on blackguard due to something in the Order of the Stick, I went further down and read through the Duelist PrC. Something struck me...
The Duelist PrC is, basically, a fencer.
A real Duelist would be a class that specializes in fighting one-on-one with other sentient, armed beings.
There's a whole range of feats made for this sort of combat--Improved Trip, Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, and so on. I could also see bonuses when faced with even odds--specifically, one-on-one.
I may as well say this isn't so much an actual homebrew as it is the makings of one. I have an idea, and I'll polish at it a while and see if it shines.
*sets out a box of rags*
In case anyone wants to lend a hand, of course. (Read: Any input would be welcome).

Icewalker
2007-01-28, 10:26 PM
I like this idea. Duelist should be a 1v1 class. I can see some charisma or tricking to try to get your opponent out of the battle so you can fight 1v1, but that might be kind of hard to make.

TheThan
2007-01-28, 10:34 PM
You could borrow some class abilities from the knight (PHB II). Like the fighting challenge class ability.
You could also give them a bonus for two weapon fighting with a rapier and a dagger.

Well there are two abilities off the top of my head. I’ll probably come up with some more when I’m not expecting it.

Igan
2007-01-28, 10:50 PM
Hey, I'll take any help I can get...I appreciate the comments
Okay, for a Duelist PrC that makes a living fighting one-on-one, I can see...
1) Primary melee class, Full BAB, good Fort, d10 and all that.
2) Intimidate as a prereq, and possibly an impressive victory in single combat against an evenly-matched oppoent, to establish a reputation and possibly give a supreme confidence. Maybe even Combat Reflexes/Expertise.
3) Some sort of Cha-based challenge to draw an enemy into single combat. I'll have to find somewhere to take a look at Fighting Challenge before I go further with that...
4) A few bonuses that apply in one-on-one combat against an enemy that can wield a manufactured weapon. There's a lot of possibilities with this.
5) Some of those "dueling" feats as bonus feats.

TheThan
2007-01-29, 02:09 AM
I can help with that:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=2

knightsaline
2007-01-29, 02:22 AM
the duelist is nerfed by CWars swashbuckler. they both do the same thing, yet the swashbuckler doesn't require anything to enter the class. hels, the swashbuckler does what the duelist does and is better at doing it.

Igan
2007-01-29, 09:36 PM
Oh, ho ho ho...YES.

Thank God for the boundless generosity of Wizards of the Coast for always using as excerpts stuff I need at the time...

And O mighty Than, Most Generous of Playground Ogres, I thank thee...

TheThan
2007-01-30, 03:11 AM
Oh, ho ho ho...YES.

Thank God for the boundless generosity of Wizards of the Coast for always using as excerpts stuff I need at the time...

And O mighty Than, Most Generous of Playground Ogres, I thank thee...

No prob, I'm just trying to do my part.
... I should quote that and put it in my sig... Contemplates.