PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a monster that only does elemental damage

JaronK
2014-02-13, 08:33 PM
For plot reasons, I need an evil monster of some kind that does only electricity or poison damage, or causes less than 10 fire damage per round to everyone nearby. Preferably something that could be in a large group of somethings. I've got a Succubus Paladin that needs to be occupied killing off something the rest of the party can't deal with, so as to pull her away from the party for plot reasons. The CR should be around 2-6.

...Also this is a bit last minute, and I've got a session to run in two hours! Any thoughts?

JaronK

Pan151
2014-02-13, 08:36 PM
How about a Will-O'-Wisp (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Will-O'-Wisp)?

Small size, Chaotic Evil, attack does 2d8 electricity damage.

Morcleon
2014-02-13, 08:39 PM
I believe this little critter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/willOWisp.htm) serves those purposes admirably. Chaotic Evil, electricity touch attack, can be used in large groups. :smallbiggrin:

weckar
2014-02-13, 08:40 PM
Succubus.... Paladin....

You'll have to come back to me about that one.

When in doubt: Living Spell (shocking grasp)

Morcleon
2014-02-13, 08:42 PM
Succubus.... Paladin....

You'll have to come back to me about that one.

It's not that new of a thing. (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a) :smalltongue:

weckar
2014-02-13, 08:44 PM
I -- I need a minute.... :smalleek:

JaronK
2014-02-13, 08:46 PM
Heh, yes, she's in this game. The wisps would be perfect except they can't open doors, so I could see this party just closing the doors on them. Hmm. Maybe I can have a horde of wisps and... something with hands. Not sure.

JaronK

Pan151
2014-02-13, 08:48 PM
Heh, yes, she's in this game. The wisps would be perfect except they can't open doors, so I could see this party just closing the doors on them. Hmm. Maybe I can have a horde of wisps and... something with hands. Not sure.

JaronK

Might I suggest some kind of ghost? That is also an Evocation sorcerer? Preferably focusing on electricity spells (to go along with the theme of invisible electrifying enemies)?

Crake
2014-02-13, 08:53 PM
Perhaps a juvenile arrowhawk or two? They have a ranged touch attack that deals electricity damage, and I'm pretty sure that their natural attacks cant overcome her DR, since that seems to be what you're going after.

G.Cube
2014-02-13, 08:54 PM
Unless I've misread somewhere, Magmin, MM1 P.179 fits every one of your requirements.

nedz
2014-02-13, 09:09 PM
I thought you had a database of these things :smallwink:

Anyway, some ideas

Storm Elemental, Small (MM3 p049) CR 2
Shocker Lizard (MM p224) CR 2
Living Spell, Sickening Sleep (MM3 p094) CR 2
Hell Hound (MM p151) CR 3 (Fire, but change to lightning-why not)
Various Imps and Mephits CR 3
Storm Elemental, Medium (MM3 p049) CR 4
Bluespawn Ambusher (MM4 p136) CR 4
Howler Wasp Queen (MM4 p074) CR 5
Energon, Xag-Ya (et al) (MotP p169) CR 5
Bluespawn Stormlizard (MM4 p142) CR 6
Digester (MM p059) CR 6 (Acid though)

Morcleon
2014-02-13, 09:10 PM
Unless I've misread somewhere, Magmin, MM1 P.179 fits every one of your requirements.

Magmins are chaotic neutral and technically do not deal fire damage. They deal heat damage.

G.Cube
2014-02-13, 09:25 PM
Magmins are chaotic neutral and technically do not deal fire damage. They deal heat damage.

Check the Attack/Full attack sections again. :smalltongue:

Morcleon
2014-02-13, 09:32 PM
Check the Attack/Full attack sections again. :smalltongue:

I wasn't talking about the attacks, which are bludgeoning and fire, thus not meeting the requirements. I was talking about the fiery aura. :smalltongue:

Anyone within 20 feet of a magmin must succeed on a DC 12 Fortitude save or take 1d6 points of heat damage per round from the intense heat.

G.Cube
2014-02-13, 09:37 PM
I wasn't talking about the attacks, which are bludgeoning and fire, thus not meeting the requirements. I was talking about the fiery aura. :smalltongue:

So it is! Seems I have a knack for posting incorrect information on these forums, apologies.

Still, I feel like fiating heat to fire damage isn't a far stretch by any means, though there still would be the matter of alignment.

Morcleon
2014-02-13, 09:42 PM
So it is! Seems I have a knack for posting incorrect information on these forums, apologies.

Still, I feel like fiating heat to fire damage isn't a far stretch by any means, though there still would be the matter of alignment.

Eh, it's alright. I was a bit ambiguous too. :smallsmile:

Most definitely. And if you think that's silly, you should look at the boiling water rules. It deals one of the only types of completely non-resistable, non-untyped damage, and it's core. :smalltongue:

Boiling water deals 1d6 points of scalding damage

JaronK
2014-02-13, 11:49 PM
I thought you had a database of these things :smallwink:

...I do! It's too big, and we haven't managed to parse it all out enough to just search by attack types yet (but we're getting there!).

JaronK

Thurbane
2014-02-14, 06:35 AM

JaronK
Have them take the Spell Hand feat? Open/Close as an SLA 1/day.

Or have one or more take a level in Sorcerer: Open/Close as a spell 5/day. May require the Surrogate Spellcasting.

nedz
2014-02-14, 06:44 AM
So what did you use in the end ?