PDA

View Full Version : [Spell] Resize Item

Scalenex
2007-01-28, 11:21 PM
The game I'm running has two front-line warriors not counting a monk. A halfling ranger and a human fighter focusing on weapon feats for longsword.

They ended up taking on some high level adventurers. The enemy groups human fighter had a Great Sword +4. Only the halfling used two handed swords. So I decided to invent an arcane transmutation spell to resize weapons. I made it third level (the highest the PC group's wizard could cast at the time) and I arbitritraly gave it a modest material component costing about 50 gp. Since a disportionate number of this PC crew is small sized and they are in a world dominated by humans, I figured this would be a handy spell.

So is that fair? Making it cost 50 gp to cast and having it be 3rd level. Also along those lines. How would the spell be differ for making small items bigger? I assume it would need a higher casting level and more expensive material component given that it could potentially be abused (find an item that is made of a very valuable material, make it bigger and then melt it down and sell it). For instance I know that raw mithral is by some accounts worth more raw than as an item. :smalltongue:

Icewalker
2007-01-28, 11:36 PM
Yeah, there has to be some method of stopping them from taking advantage of the spell with the metals. I like the idea for it though. One thing you could do is just tell the PCs that they can't take advantage of it, that's what I did with the problems of travelers gear in the handbook (a 10ft pole costs more than a 10 ft ladder, why not just buy one, break it in half, and sell it back for more?)

Maybe the spell wears off after a week or so, and the wizard could just reprepare it once a week, especially with them having so many 3rd level spells at higher level that it wouldn't really cut in. Or it could last 1 day/caster level, so that would become less of a problem overtime.

Darkshade
2007-01-28, 11:40 PM
i'd also stipulate that if the item is broken (melted down) or damaged in any way the spell ends immediately

magic8BALL
2007-01-30, 08:52 PM
Here are four spells written up. I think they some up what you are all saying. Looks like a good idea: I'm sick of playing the Gnome or Goliath that rarly gets a go at the items in the loot. Also, buying a wagon from a halfling caravan is only useful if you're small, so I added my 2cp to the discussion.

Reduce Item
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Component: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Target: Object Touched
Duration: Instantanious, Permenent (see text)
Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

You decrease the size catagory of an object by on size catagory. It physical dimentions are aproximatly halfed, its weight and volume are roughly decreaed by a factor of eight. The object must have been able to be worn or held by a creature sized apropriatly for it. For instance, a Medium greatsword may be reduced to a Small greatsword, or a Large chain shirt reduced to a Medium chain shirt, but a cart sized for horses to pull may not be resized for ponys.
The effect of this spell is permenent, and is dispelled only by the destruction of the item effected, or an enlarge item spell.
Reduce item counters and despells enlarge item.
Material Component: 50gp worth of ruby dust sprinkled over the item during casting.

Reduce Item, Greater
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5

As reduce item, except as noted. The object may be of any size, a chariot, a boat, tent, but not a permenent structure such as a stone wall, a house, or a bank.
The effect of this spell is permenent, and is dispelled only by the destruction of the item effected, or a greater enlarge item spell.
Greater reduce item counters and despells greater enlarge item.
Material Component: 150gp worth of ruby dust sprinkled over the item during casting.

Enlarge Item
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Component: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Target: Object Touched
Duration: Instantanious, Permenent (see text)
Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

You increase the size catagory of an object by on size catagory. It physical dimentions are roughly doubled, its weight and volume are increased by a factor of around eight. The object must have been able to be worn or held by a creature sized apropriatly for it. For instance, a Medium greatsword may be enlarged to a Large greatsword, or a Small chain shirt enlarged to a Medium chain shirt, but a cart sized for ponys to pull may not be resized for horses.
The effect of this spell is permenent, and is dispelled only by the destruction of the item effected, or a reduce item spell.
Enlarge item counters and despells reduce item.
Material Component: 50gp worth of ruby dust sprinkled over the item during casting.

Enlarge Item, Greater
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5

As enlarge item, except as noted. The object may be of any size, a chariot, a boat, tent, but not a permenent structure such as a stone wall, a house, or a bank.
The effect of this spell is permenent, and is dispelled only by the destruction of the item effected, or a greater reduce item spell.
Greater enlarge item counters and despells greater reduce item.
Material Component: 150gp worth of ruby dust sprinkled over the item during casting.

Gralamin
2007-01-30, 11:21 PM
Maybe add in that you can counter a Reduce Item with an Enlarge Item and vice versa.

magic8BALL
2007-01-31, 05:27 AM
Ok... good idea. Seems fair. Fixed. Seems like a handy spell set to have in a party of halfings and goliaths, as so many I encounter are these days.

Scalenex
2007-02-01, 07:57 AM
I like the idea of different spells at different levels for different scales of effect (wagons and carts versus weapons and armor) but I like the idea of scaling to wearer or wielder more than going an exact fractional change in size and mass. Halflings aren't exactly half a human (like the horses and pony thing). I figure the spell would also adjust on smaller levels, even to the point of making a comfortable grip for the wielder and the like.

magic8BALL
2007-02-01, 10:45 PM
yeah... I didn't mean exactly halfed, but thats about what it is. I shall add ambiguity to the descriptors. Its not a spell for handing the humans armor to the halfling, and not the gnome either, so exactly fitting one person is not to priority of the spell.

As for the adjust for comfortable grip of the weilder... no one is weiding it when the spell is cast.