PDA

View Full Version : Can I have a pet Air Elemental Wolf?

SoraWolf7
2014-02-14, 01:02 AM
I had this thought regarding an avatar design I will make soon, but is it possible for a character to have a pet/animal companion that is, say a Wolf with the Half-Air Elemental Template. I know there are feats for Wild Cohort and such, but is such a thing possible?

This isn't for a build as of yet, I just wanted to know for curiosity's sake.

Isamu Dyson
2014-02-14, 01:14 AM
*sigh*

Does every type of being out in the D&D-verse inevitably mate with every other kind of being? Windy wolves :smalleek:?

Vhaidara
2014-02-14, 01:24 AM
You know, there is an entry like 4 pages after half elemental called "elemental" that includes making something an air elemental. So no need to have confusing lineage.

(Un)Inspired
2014-02-14, 01:34 AM
*sigh*

Does every type of being out in the D&D-verse inevitably mate with every other kind of being? Windy wolves :smalleek:?

As long as every type of being doesn't have to mate with me (keep away far realm beasties I have no interest in creating any more half-far spawn) then they're free to go to town all over each other.

ChaoticDitz
2014-02-14, 01:38 AM
*sigh*

Bear in mind the vast majority of it is quite likely the result of powerful wizards who don't have anything better to do to spend their time than splice genes and force two creatures to reproduce against their wills. Oh, and BoEF makes dragons the ultimate multi-species player. But mostly the wizards.

Admittedly, if I had the power to bend the wills of other creatures, ignore the fundamental laws of the cosmos, and could conjure every imaginable form of power, I would STILL be hard-pressed to find any reason other than moral issues/alignment to say it wouldn't be the most interesting thing to do, seeing how the spawn of two utterly unrelated species comes out.

But then, I'm something of a biology tick and have always loved watching how things work in nature outside their natural element. So maybe my opinion isn't the most relatable.

Maginomicon
2014-02-14, 01:40 AM
You can make whatever the hell you like.

Don't let these fluff-police get you down.

The simplest rules-legal way to accomplish this is by taking the "Elemental Companion" Alternate Class Feature, choose an air elemental, and then have its typical shape when it's visible be that of a wolf.

Isamu Dyson
2014-02-14, 01:41 AM
The union would almost certainly have to be the result of a spellcaster experimenting, true. Basic Elementals do not feel the biological urge to reproduce...do they?

You can make whatever the hell you like.

Don't let these fluff-police get you down.

The simplest rules-legal way to accomplish this is by taking the "Elemental Companion" Alternate Class Feature, choose an air elemental, and then have its typical shape when it's visible be that of a wolf.

I'm not trying to dissuade the player from choosing an option. Rather, I am expressing my comedic disbelief that there's a template for e-very-thing :smalltongue:.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-02-14, 01:43 AM
*sigh*

Yes.

ten character minimum

(Un)Inspired
2014-02-14, 01:44 AM
The union would almost certainly have to be the result of a spellcaster experimenting, true. Basic Elementals do not feel the biological urge to reproduce...do they?

It really depends on the music that's playing, whether they've had a few drinks, etc. etc.

ChaoticDitz
2014-02-14, 02:06 AM

Well, if I were a neutral creature with above two intelligence, I'd want some offspring to carry on in my stead when the party reverses rocks fall everyone dies into...

Dang it, I had a really good image for this, but I can't find it. It was a Demotivator. Words were Blackguard Versus Earth Elemental: Everyone fall, rock dies!

Alent
2014-02-14, 02:13 AM
Bear in mind the vast majority of it is quite likely the result of powerful wizards who don't have anything better to do to spend their time than splice genes and force two creatures to reproduce against their wills. Oh, and BoEF makes dragons the ultimate multi-species player. But mostly the wizards.

Admittedly, if I had the power to bend the wills of other creatures, ignore the fundamental laws of the cosmos, and could conjure every imaginable form of power, I would STILL be hard-pressed to find any reason other than moral issues/alignment to say it wouldn't be the most interesting thing to do, seeing how the spawn of two utterly unrelated species comes out.

But then, I'm something of a biology tick and have always loved watching how things work in nature outside their natural element. So maybe my opinion isn't the most relatable.

The real question here is, where in Australia do I go to get a pet wind-wolf?

(Un)Inspired
2014-02-14, 02:15 AM
North of Perth

hamishspence
2014-02-14, 02:23 AM
No humming the Airwolf theme tune at the table though, when the pet is acting. :smallbiggrin:

Kelb_Panthera
2014-02-14, 02:30 AM

Some of them may. Not all elementals are Elementals if you catch my meaning. Right from the MM, magmin looks like he would probably appreciate the female form. (Though I doubt the female form would appreciate him. Yeesh :smalleek:)

I'm not trying to dissuade the player from choosing an option. Rather, I am expressing my comedic disbelief that there's a template for e-very-thing :smalltongue:.

That and the significant focus of the mechanics on combat ability does occasionally give the impression that Oerth is basically one planet sized orgy of sex and violence, don't it?

(Un)Inspired
2014-02-14, 02:31 AM
Ishtar be praised

Sam K
2014-02-14, 03:03 AM
No humming the Airwolf theme tune at the table though, when the pet is acting. :smallbiggrin:

You just made half air elemental wolves cool.

hamishspence
2014-02-14, 03:10 AM
I kinda figured that :smallamused:

I suspect that I'd probably hum the tune at least once before being groaned at.

Alent
2014-02-14, 03:21 AM
This thread reminded me of Aion's wind spirits- they were basically cool wind elemental/wolf spirits.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090725080444/aion/images/7/7e/Wind_spirit_chart.jpg
http://zam.zamimg.com/images/5/e/5ec7f9272ba84e57635b2e3e30ad6351.jpg

(images might not load. Not sure if they've got any sort of anti-linking or such.)

Brookshw
2014-02-14, 07:04 AM
That and the significant focus of the mechanics on combat ability does occasionally give the impression that Oerth is basically one planet sized orgy of sex and violence, don't it?

Well they did have orgy rules after all in 1e.....

Dr. Cliché
2014-02-14, 08:34 AM

Now I have an image of a Wizard looking at his pet wolf, then to an air elemental he recently conjured and saying to himself "Well, I've got nothing better to do at the moment. Here boy..." :smallwink:

SoraWolf7
2014-02-14, 02:01 PM
Some of them may. Not all elementals are Elementals if you catch my meaning. Right from the MM, magmin looks like he would probably appreciate the female form. (Though I doubt the female form would appreciate him. Yeesh :smalleek:)

Someone would need protection from fire for the next nine months or more.

Talionis
2014-02-14, 03:25 PM
I may have grown up in the 80's but I'm sure some of you will appreciate this Air Wolf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBd6ighzqYA

hamishspence
2014-02-14, 04:16 PM
I may have grown up in the 80's but I'm sure some of you will appreciate this Air Wolf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBd6ighzqYA

I vaguely recall it - the theme tune, at least. Hence:

shylocke
2014-02-14, 04:21 PM
*sigh*

Humans are sluts. Either that or we just look sexy to everything. Look at how many monsters have human ancestry. Kinda disturb ing

shylocke
2014-02-14, 04:37 PM
Also I think arms and equipment has mention of a tiny small fire elemental as a pet. The suggest keeping it in your fireplace.