PDA

View Full Version : Magic Bows+Ammunition+Snatch Arrows = Infinite Magic Arrows for Sale ?

Erik Vale
2014-02-14, 06:00 AM
A thought process I've recently had.

Some ranged weapon properties [I think all but I can't prove for all] give ammunition fired the same property [in dnd at least], making the ammunition magical.

Snatch Arrows allow you to catch arrows, this means they didn't hit which should leave them with their enchantment.

This means that someone with a ranged weapon, plenty of ammunition, and a buddy with snatch arrows willing to be shot [or someone willing to be shot at and missed, the 50% destroyed/unfindable chance makes it less useful, but that's for another time] should be able to get as many magical arrows as they had mundane arrows... That sell for more than mundane arrows.

I'm seeking confirmation that this works as described, creating free magic arrows for the masses. Or unlimited money for non-mages not abusing candle of invocation, but that would be cheating and unfair and never done by anyone on these boards.
I'm also looking for someone with info that shows this extends to all enchantments, and that it extends to pathfinder [I can't find evidence to the later, it seems they may have noticed the hole and closed it, or just done so unknowingly].

And yes, I'm now adding magic arrow factories with golems/attendants with snatch arrow to my head canon.

nedz
2014-02-14, 06:56 AM
At last, a way for Monks to enchant arrows. Shame they're not proficient with bows, well no surprise there.

Elf Monks are however: so you have a whole production line of Elven Monks, in the wood, placing various enchantments on their arrows. Each of their bows will have a different enchantment — more cost effective that way.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-14, 09:21 AM
No, just one bow, enchanted with splitting. They then use single run magic arrows to make more of them by catching both split copies.

Chronos
2014-02-14, 09:33 AM
You'll have to clarify what you mean by asking if this works. By a strict reading of the RAW, yes, it does... But there are very, very few real groups or DMs that will put up with this particular strict reading of RAW.

zephyrkinetic
2014-02-14, 09:43 AM
I was under the impression that the weapon's enchantment applies to ammunition shot with the weapon, not that the weapon imbues the ammunition with the enchantment.

To quote:
"Ranged Weapons and Ammunition: The enhancement bonus from a ranged weapon does not stack with the enhancement bonus from ammunition. Only the higher of the two enhancement bonuses applies.
Ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an enhancement bonus of +1 or higher is treated as a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. For example, a sling stone hurles from a +1 sling is treated as a magic weapon. Similarly, ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an alignment (such as +1 holy longbow or a masterwork crossbow under the effect of the align weapon spell) gains the alignment of that projectile weapon (in addition to any alignment it may already have). For example, a +1 unholy arrow fired from a +2 anarchic shortbow would be both evil-aligned and chaos-aligned (the former from its own unholy ability, the latter from the shortbow)."

Nothing there exclusively prohibits it, I agree. But, it states several times that ammunition is "treated" as magic, or "treated" as a certain alignment. It is not actually those things. I think that paragraph would have been written differently if the intent was that ammunition fired from X gains the enchantments of X.

BowStreetRunner
2014-02-14, 09:50 AM
Sorry, but I do not believe that is how it works. The rules state that the weapon's enhancement bonus or the ammunition's enhancement bonus applies, but the two do not stack. You use the greater of the two. So it is obvious here that you are using one or the other to resolve the attack, but the weapon is not actually making the ammunition magical.

Further, the rules state that ammunition fired from a weapon with an enhancement bonus of +1 or greater is treated as a magic weapon for overcoming DR, but again that would apply to the current attack and does not seem to imply the weapon is actually turning the ammunition into a permanent magical item.

Of course, there are those who would argue that the rules don't explicitly state that your ammunition isn't turned into a nuclear missile, so therefore it is legal to create infinite nuclear missiles by firing arrows from your bow. However, there is no wording that explicitly states the weapon does create a permanent magical effect, and that is what most DMs will likely rule.

nedz
2014-02-14, 09:55 AM
No, just one bow, enchanted with splitting. They then use single run magic arrows to make more of them by catching both split copies.

No no, in the words of BoneyM

Elf Monks in a ring
Tra la la la la
Loose arrows round the ring
Tra la la la la la
Caught arrow from the ring
Tra la la la la
Swap if its your own that's come
Done done