PDA

View Full Version : Trading Turn Undead

Felvion
2014-02-14, 08:14 AM
Hello everyone. I've read similar threads and it made me feel like dropping a bomb here but yes!
I'm helping a guy build a dwarf that will have some levels in cleric. He wont have much of them, maybe 3 or maximum 5. The fact is that he got a CHA of 6 and he doesn't like the idea of turning since he thinks it's gonna be ineffective. I see that turn is really powerfull but in his case he may have a point.
On the other hand he's a dwarf and would like to be more focused on some forging stuff.
No ToB, Psionics and dinosaurs allowed! In fact anything besides core should have strong backround back-up cause the DM is a bit weird on splatbooks and wants us to give a strong reason for any such trade.
I've seen some things about metamagic but that doesn't interest him much. I think he wants some artificier stuff but nothing in books made him happy.
So.... I need some creative ideas, bring it up ppl, i know you got it!

Rebel7284
2014-02-14, 08:17 AM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=t36mj6fbmcmt5g3r4counr7s90&topic=7908

Osiris
2014-02-14, 08:38 AM
It seems I've been ninja'ed.
Dwarf Cleric Substitution Levels (RS, p 146): d10 hitdice, add Knowledge: dungeoneering
1st level: Smite Giants, lose turn undead
That's a pretty good ACF from the link above, if you're a melee fighter, but still want all your spell slots, if not the 4th level ACF of that is OK

Segev
2014-02-14, 08:56 AM
Not all that creative, and definitely steps into splat books, but I feel it would be remiss not to point out that there are a variety of feats one can pick up which allow you to spend your turn attempts on alternative effects. Some are far better than others, as is the case with most feats.

You'll have to look for feats with the [divine] tag, and they mostly dwell in Complete Divine, but show up in a few other places. His low Cha limits the effectiveness of some, sadly.

One possibility, if your DM is okay with ideas that are homebrew, would be to trade Turning for a wizard's bonus feat progression. Scribe Scroll at first level (possibly with his "scrolls" carved into metal tablets?), and a new crafting feat at 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level. It's not a "fair" trade; Turning is so much more powerful if optimized even a little. Which should, I think, help, honestly, to sell it.

Felvion
2014-02-14, 12:36 PM
First off, thnx everyone for the replies.
I knew racial subsitution would be good especially the hammer thing since he favors hammers. The 10Hd rocks too for lvl1!
Perhaps he'll ask for the DM to trade Smite giants for some bonuses in craft skills and Craft Magic Arm&Weap.
Finally, that list man! Really helpfull for other characters i had in mind. Maybe i'm a bad searcher but never fell on it on the web.