PDA

View Full Version : Paladin flying mounts

jpreem
2014-02-14, 09:37 AM
In many times I see threads mentioning paladins with flying mountsa its a quite common thingy. There does not seem to be very clear way to aquire one in SRDs of PF or DD 3.5.
Only one I got theres a paladin arcehtype in PF that makes your mount sprout wings. But what about other methods - the simlest is me thinking arent there like alternate mount listing like there is for Druids animal companion -where you can get a lovel level animal companion for the exchange that it is a much more powerful animal in itself.

So where/ in which books are the other rules for aquiring paladin special mounts other than heavy warhorse.

Dread_Head
2014-02-14, 09:40 AM
There's rules for alternate mounts including several flying ones in the DMG on page 204.

Drachasor
2014-02-14, 10:03 AM
There's rules for alternate mounts including several flying ones in the DMG on page 204.

Which incidentally, doesn't exist in PF. In fact that's also the section that says a mount needs to be one size larger than the rider. So PF technically doesn't have that rule, though a lot of the other text assumes it still holds.

Red Fel
2014-02-14, 10:03 AM
If you want specifically flying mounts, the feat Dragon Steed from Dragonomicon grants you a Dragonnel as a steed, much like a cohort. If you are a Paladin, it becomes your Paladin Special Mount. Another option is the Dragon Cohort feat, same book, which grants you a Dragon as a cohort - which may serve as a mount, depending on how you get along. It will not count as a Special Mount, however.

Alternatively, the Celestial Mount feat from Book of Exalted Deeds turns your Special Mount into a Celestial creature (although this does not grant flight).

Then we have ACFs. In Stormwrack, the Aquatic Mount ACF makes your Special Mount an Aquatic creature. Dungeonscape's Divine Spirit ACF replaces your Special Mount with a spirit-thing that provides buffs. The Drakkensteed Mount ACF from Dragon Magic gives you a Drakkensteed as a Special Mount. The Elf Paladin substitution level 5 from Races of the Wild gets you a Unicorn. And the Planar Paladin substitution level 5 from Planar Handbook swaps out your Remove Disease ability for Celestial template on your Special Mount.

Note that, because the Dragonnel and Drakkensteed are Dragonblooded monsters, they are eligible for Dragon feats, including the flight-related ones, from Races of the Dragon. Apart from them, however, none of the mounts I've listed are flying mounts.

Those are just a few ideas. Really, any Leadership cheese can get you a nice mount.

nobodez
2014-02-14, 10:21 AM
In many times I see threads mentioning paladins with flying mountsa its a quite common thingy. There does not seem to be very clear way to aquire one in SRDs of PF or DD 3.5.
Only one I got theres a paladin arcehtype in PF that makes your mount sprout wings. But what about other methods - the simlest is me thinking arent there like alternate mount listing like there is for Druids animal companion -where you can get a lovel level animal companion for the exchange that it is a much more powerful animal in itself.

So where/ in which books are the other rules for aquiring paladin special mounts other than heavy warhorse.

According to the PF SRD, while the heavy horse or pony are the archetypical mount, "more exotic mounts … are also suitable". Since in PF the mount uses the animal companion rules, that's where you should look. Personally, I'd go for a Roc, since they're pretty badass, but dire bats are also good, the giant mantis has climb as well, there's the Pteranodon too, plus the Quetzalcoatlus, the giant vulture, and finally the giant wasp. Mind, most of these don't get large enough for a medium creature to ride until 7th or even 9th level, so they work best for small paladins or one that's fine not actually flying until a bit later.

Drachasor
2014-02-14, 10:23 AM
According to the PF SRD, while the heavy horse or pony are the archetypical mount, "more exotic mounts … are also suitable". Since in PF the mount uses the animal companion rules, that's where you should look. Personally, I'd go for a Roc, since they're pretty badass, but dire bats are also good, the giant mantis has climb as well, there's the Pteranodon too, plus the Quetzalcoatlus, the giant vulture, and finally the giant wasp. Mind, most of these don't get large enough for a medium creature to ride until 7th or even 9th level, so they work best for small paladins or one that's fine not actually flying until a bit later.

Their example of exotic mounts are things like Camels. They aren't talking about Rocs, pretty clearly. That's obviously the intention, limited as that is. In either case, that's up to DM fiat to decide -- and at that point there's not all that much reason to limit it to Druid options, imho. It's easy to convert something like a Pegasus.

jpreem
2014-02-14, 12:07 PM
A yeah found my dmg took a look at the 204 - So no problem with paladin mounts in 3.5

For pathfinder -
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions
these choices inculde rocs and whatnot and it would be easy to use these.

Though roc and giant wasp are not quite so paladin-y in their feeling as pegasus or even hippogriff to my senses.