PDA

View Full Version : New player information duelist build

harlequine5724
2014-02-14, 10:25 AM
I'm wanting to do a duelist build i'm starting at 6th level not even if i can get it yet really, i'm allowed monster manual 1 for my races as well as standard races but leaning towards tiefling really :3 due to my previous character being an aasimar my DM is allowing me to pass my already bought off LA over so i'm still 5th level. i'm allowed standard wealth we aren't allowed to purchase magical items in towns have to craft them :/ so no magical equipment but i am allowed + items i.e Rapier +2 and stuff so long as i can afford it sorry this is super noobish sounding it i s a 32 points buy system. any advice would be awesome thanks~ :)

Gnaeus
2014-02-14, 10:29 AM
What books allowed? What else is in the party?

harlequine5724
2014-02-14, 10:31 AM
races of fae core stuff ofcourse complete war book of exalted deeds basically he says it's up to him so long as it doesn't break the game so if i get a couple of build ideas i can ask him about the books he has said no fiendish folio and no dragon magazine as for the party we have a level 4 rogue x2 level 4 barbarians level 2 druid and cleric sometimes a level 3 sorcerer level 2 scout

Gnaeus
2014-02-14, 11:15 AM
races of fae core stuff ofcourse complete war book of exalted deeds basically he says it's up to him so long as it doesn't break the game so if i get a couple of build ideas i can ask him about the books he has said no fiendish folio and no dragon magazine as for the party we have a level 4 rogue x2 level 4 barbarians level 2 druid and cleric sometimes a level 3 sorcerer level 2 scout

Wait, what?
is that:
Rogue 4
Barbarian 4/Druid 2
Barbarian 4/Cleric 2
Sorcerer 3/scout 2

Anyway, recommendation 1: Tome of Battle. Swordsage 8 (preferably unarmed so wis to AC when unarmored), Duelist 1. Most people here do not think ToB "breaks the game". Although compared with Core melee and multiclassed casters, it may seem strong.

Recommendation 2. Daring outlaw (feat from Complete Scoundrel). Rogue 1/Swashbuckler 3/Rogue 2-3/Swashbuckler OR Rogue 4/Duelist/more Swashbuckler The Daring Outlaw feat allows your swashbuckler levels to add to your sneak attack. Swashbuckler lets you add Int to damage, and you are getting Int to AC from Duelist. Swashbuckler gives you Weapon Finesse at level 1, which is a Duelist prereq. Stats here should be: Int, Dex, Con, Others.

Note: while Duelist isn't the worst class, it is hardly the best. I do not recommend taking 10 levels in the class. I don't really recommend more levels than you have points of Int bonus, certainly not more than 6 (and 6 is a waste if you are going swashbuckler, since you can get acrobatic charge either way). Either swordsage or swashbuckler (with Daring outlaw) is just better. Then just call yourself a Duelist.