PDA

View Full Version : A good to place to find or create world maps?

S@tanicoaldo
2014-02-14, 10:44 AM
For my homebrew campaign i really want a world map.

Any of you know a site or a program that I can use and it is not too complicated?

Thanks.

UristMcRandom
2014-02-14, 12:45 PM
I've personally tried using the free version of Hexographer (http://www.hexographer.com/), I'm not very good with it but it can apparently be used quite effectively.

Kislath
2014-02-14, 02:44 PM
Ah, good. I've been looking for something like this, too.

What I really need is a way to post a map online for use in pbp games here in the Playgound.

Melayl
2014-02-14, 03:23 PM
Check with the folks on the Cartographer's Guild (http://www.cartographersguild.com/content/). They make maps for fun (and occasionally profit). Very nice folks.

Jormengand
2014-02-14, 03:28 PM
Ah, good. I've been looking for something like this, too.

What I really need is a way to post a map online for use in pbp games here in the Playgound.

Imageshack, tinypic, or any other free image hosting site followed by hyperlink or image tags will do it.

S@tanicoaldo
2014-02-14, 03:49 PM
Ummm... Thanks.

So let's say I found a very cool map in the internet similar to the on I had in my mind...

Can I use it here or is it a copyrigth issue?

Jormengand
2014-02-14, 03:50 PM
Ummm... Thanks.

So let's say I found a very cool map in the internet similar to the on I had in my mind...

Can I use it here or is it a copyrigth issue?

We're not allowed to give legal advice, and it depends on the specific map you have in mind anyway.

Kislath
2014-02-14, 11:49 PM
I guess I was hoping for a map that would stay in place that I could just edit without having to totally replace it each turn. I have an idea for a game of territorial conquest in which the borders can change each turn.

I suppose I can do it the hard way, but it would take a bit longer.

Ninjadeadbeard
2014-02-15, 12:57 AM
I don't know of any (good) free Photoshop things, but I do have a Map thread in my sig. All free to use. I don't always shamelessly self-promote, but when I do, I feel like a heel. Stay artsy, my friends.

Melayl
2014-02-15, 04:45 PM
I don't know of any (good) free Photoshop things, but I do have a Map thread in my sig. All free to use. I don't always shamelessly self-promote, but when I do, I feel like a heel. Stay artsy, my friends.

Gimp is a freeware Photoshop.

King G
2014-02-16, 11:41 PM
I guess I was hoping for a map that would stay in place that I could just edit without having to totally replace it each turn....snipped

If all else fails, make your own. That's what I did in a microsoft excel document. Then again, I'm nuts--it's a pain in the neck to do it, but I did it anyways (if you'd like, drop me a line and I'd be happy to share the end result so you can use it without needing to make it yourself).