PDA

View Full Version : First time DM, I need help

ShoebOx
2014-02-14, 11:47 AM
I have no idea if I'm allowed to post this here or not, but here goes.

I've had limited experience playing DND in the past, and haven't in a few years. I really wanted to play recently, but I only knew a few people who have ever even played, and none of them were up for DMing.

So, the logical choice is for me to volunteer, right?

Our first session was last weekend, and it went pretty well if I do say so myself. What I'm really struggling with, though, is fleshing out my sessions. This week, they've made it to the festival at the capital... And I have no idea what to prepare for them to do! I'm working on an inn, and a few shops in the bazaar, but I have no idea beyond that.

Is there anyone who would maybe be willing to give constructive criticism and advice? The more experience, the better.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-14, 11:52 AM
Combat is a great session pad, so toss in a random encounter or two on a trip to give yourself time to think. Future tip anyways.

Fun city adventures:
Murder mystery
Running errands for the X guild (I meant the cool errands their regular guys cannot handle)
Let them enjoy your festival a bit. Describe the sights, let them interact with NPCs, maybe play a game to two.

Lightlawbliss
2014-02-14, 12:04 PM
Do something that makes the players think.

I am a big fan of the line "what do you do?" NEVER assume the players will do something. If they say they walk to the house, ask where on the house they walk to. Make the players flesh out what they do (this will fill much time).

Callin
2014-02-14, 01:08 PM
Can you just free form it? Think on the fly for some of the minor details. If it becomes a bigger detail be sure to write it down so you can reincorporate it later on.

Just have your main theme going on and know when some certain things will happen but let the players run off and explore in a small little free form circle. Instill a few boundaries so they cant run off and totally miss out on what you have planned but try to not plan on some of the fun they may or may not want to have. Let it feel like they are directing a small part of the story and not being led from quest hub to quest hub (just saying... not that you may or may not be doing this)

Oko and Qailee
2014-02-14, 01:47 PM
Something very easy is to have a bunch of thieves/assassins at the festival. It's easy to make (you can even use the Random NPC generator on Mythweavers), doesn't have to be important to the plot, but it can be. So if you need more time to practice/flesh out your main plot, this is a decent way to go.

Red Fel
2014-02-14, 03:05 PM
My advice? Wing it! A festival is perfect for winging it. There are so many things to do, to play, to eat and drink - it's the perfect opportunity to let your players explore their characters. No matter what, within reason, if the players suggest it, it's happening. "Is there jousting?" You bet! "An archery contest?" Why not? "Pie-eating competition?" Dig in! "A duel of pickpockets?" Um... Roll Knowledge (Local). Let them wander wherever their vicious little player hearts take them.

Ask each one, in turn, what they want to do. Break it out into mini-sessions. While you're doing an episode with any given player (or players if they hang out together), tell the others to write down what they're doing. That speeds things up once it gets to their turn, gives them something to do after their turn is over, and keeps things organized. You can incentivize it by offering bonus experience. And as a bonus for you, the DM, the players have created a record of what they did at the festival.

Which is perfect. Because in the next session, you will be exploring the repercussions of their actions. For example, did the Wizard spend his time avoiding the festival, hiding in the library? Perhaps the shy librarian has developed a crush on him, which can be a plot hook when she gets abducted later on. Did the Fighter decide to show off his might in the various festival games? Perhaps someone took an interest, and has a job waiting for a big, strong warrior who won't ask too many questions. Did the Rogue take the opportunity to pick some pockets? Somebody noticed, and plans to tell the police unless the Rogue is willing to do him a favor. And so on.

Additionally, because the players are, in effect, running the session, it gives you the chance to cool your head and plan for future sessions. And it gives the players a real sense of investment, both in their characters and in the world they help to create.

Nibbens
2014-02-15, 08:39 AM
A "haunted house" that actually turns out to be haunted… or infested with gremlins (insert whatever tricksy little monster you want here) were always my favorite setups. Players spend time looking at mundane funhouse tricks trying to determine what's fake and what real… and throw in some "magic" for added effects -(as in the "mundane part of the ride" is augmented with prestidigitation and similar cantrips so a simple "detect magic" won't give away the bad guys, etc)

also, i agree with rolling freeform and letting your players dictate the action here. give them a set up and let them run crazy. You just tell them the results.

Adlan
2014-02-15, 08:49 AM
Master the Magician's Choice for your pre-planned events if you are generating them. Thus, any choice they make leads to something you can cope with.

Don't be afraid to simplify things, even if they are complex. You don't have to roll out every shot in an archery competition for example.

Consider all your senses, music (are there wandering bards playing songs… are they using magic to get tips… or worse pick pockets), smell (Nothing smells like fresh Sausageinabun/ratonastick/suspiciouspie) and the problems with roads (nothing like falling down an open manhole to start a sewer adventure.)

Afgncaap5
2014-02-15, 01:52 PM
I forget who originally said it, but there's an old bit of writer's advice that goes "When the story lags, have somebody kick in a door and start a fight." It's handy to keep that kind of thing as an option (in fact, I believe that an Eberron mini-adventure even had a chart you could randomly roll on for people who might want to show up out of the blue to pick a fight with the players.)

I recommend planning an actual adventure (guild of thieves/assassins, monster loose in the city, hired to investigate the ruins of a building in town, etc.), but it's handy to also have a Mr. Trouble in the wings to show up for when players say "You know what? I like this tavern! I'm gonna spend the whole day here! Where's that guy who wanted to know if I was up for a game of Three Dragon Ante earlier, I'm in the mood for that."

Mr. Trouble doesn't necessarily have to be related to your plots or stories, but if you like he/she/it can fill that roll.

RolandDeschain
2014-02-15, 02:33 PM
I might just be me, but a Festival sounds like a good place for some group to be making a "political statement" by disrupting the Festival with a protest, demonstration, or organized lawlessness/chaos....but then again I like to weave a great deal of political intrigue into my settings.

Bloodgruve
2014-02-15, 03:10 PM
An important thing to remember is that the players only see what they see. Don't spend too much time building a story infrastructure that you're PC's won't see.

Get familiar with Encounter Levels and Challenge Ratings from the DMG. Its a good place to start. If you throw something at the PC's that overwhelms them you can pull some punches or if the encounter is too week just keep your NPC's alive until you feel the PC's have had enough fun.

Jot down 3 different paths the PC's might take. Flesh them out just a little. Know what creatures they will encounter. But most importantly let the session drive itself and use your best judgement with decisions that are needed. If you don't know a rule, write it down and figure it out later but don't let it slow down the game too much.

GL
Blood~