PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with experience going from Epic to Divine?

Bad Hair Day
2014-02-14, 12:30 PM
I am looking to build a campaign where the PC's get to level 20 and then start getting Epic levels. Then around level 30 or so, they start to get Divine levels. It would be a large Pantheon that is only loosely knit (so that as the PC's start killing minor Gods this doesn't make too many waves) with a limited amount of Divine magic/source power to go around.

I read the Divine Rules on d20SRD and the whole 3.0 Deities and Demigods book.

I have not played an epic character in a long, long time. Still, it seemed to me as if the Olympic Gods (for example) are way too strong in order for a PC Party of level 25.

What level would the PC Party have to be in order for a Divine being of Divine Level 0 to be an even fight (they would both have the same CR)? What level would the PC's have to be for a Divine level 1 to be an even fight? Divine level 5?

If I am right and this is a bigger jump than I expected, I was going to double the Divine Levels from 20 to 40, and then lighten some of the powers across the board as well.

I am still in the design stages.

Thanks for any and all advice.

BHD

Magesmiley
2014-02-14, 02:05 PM
If you don't mind digging around for a copy, you might try getting ahold of the Wrath of the Immortals set from the BECMI line or the gold cover immortal rules set. Its not an exact parallel, but it did cover rules on how one goes from being a high level character to an immortal.

I've used a rough version of these rules in my own 3.5 games.

The rough version of this was that they had to undertake a truly epic quest to gain a divine rank (with the sponsorship of an existing power). Once this was completed, the character acquired divine rank 0 and could start accumulating power points.

My general approach was to allow the character to continue accumulating XPs which would cause normal levels to accrue. The power points I referred to were how he/she accrued divine ranks - essentially a separate pool of points that were gained more for storylines and accomplishments fitting to a divine power (and these accumulated very slowly compared to XPs).

Optimator
2014-02-14, 03:18 PM
My group is pretty savvy as far as Epic goes but we don't do divine stuff until level 60 or so.