PDA

View Full Version : I was the guy asking how to get jobs.

inexorabletruth
2014-02-14, 02:14 PM
Just wanted everyone on the GiTP forum to know, that I found a new job that pays twice what I currently make.

Thank you for all the advice and encouragement you gave me! Finally we can afford to buy a car and get out of the slums!

I love this website and the people on it. You guys are the best and you helped a man make his dreams come true. I just… I just feel like this right now:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/0u3KSCl1Q0zqlCpHPV3n_Super_Saiyan.jpg

EmeraldRose
2014-02-14, 02:24 PM
Good for you! Hope it is all going well :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2014-02-14, 02:56 PM
Congrats, glad things are looking up, and how!:smallbiggrin:

razorback
2014-02-14, 11:09 PM
Congrats, inexorabletruth.

Cristo Meyers
2014-02-14, 11:14 PM
Hey, awesome!

Glad everything worked out for you!

Grinner
2014-02-14, 11:15 PM
Great!

Now, where's our cut? :smalltongue:

Cristo Meyers
2014-02-14, 11:16 PM
Great!

Now, where's our cut? :smalltongue:

Good point...is there, like, a finder's fee? :smalltongue:

random_guy
2014-02-14, 11:43 PM
Congrats! I wish you the best of luck in your career!

In my case, I am at the point where "the mother of all meteors appeared out of nowhere to claim my ship and my life."

I need to find out if an android can experience fear.

Douglas
2014-02-15, 12:06 AM
Careful now, we don't want you destroying the planet by accident with that power-up.:smalltongue:

Congratulations, and good luck with your new job!

Now, story time: how did you get this job?

inexorabletruth
2014-02-15, 03:48 AM
About your cut:
That's fair. But at the moment all I can afford are internets. I haven't started my new job. I posted here as soon as I got it. So here… have an internet each!

About how I got my job:
Basically, I followed the advice given here on the forum. I built two different types of resumes: one that was wordy and personalized and another that was concise with bullet points. Then I went online, starting with Craigslist, Careerbuilder, Monster and LinkeIn. They often linked to other job search sites and I signed up to them as well, and click through 50 job offers in my field per day (this was made easier by the fact that I was looking for either of two jobs).

It took a while, but I was getting an interview here and there, then it started snowballing. The last few weeks, I was getting several interviews a week, which helped me get practice interviewing, and I got more comfortable talking to people and "selling" myself. The last two job offers I got went really well and were in a similar pay grade. I got multiple callbacks from each job and it felt good to have two companies fight over me. :smallbiggrin:

On Friday, one of the companies called me to ask when I could start… and there you have it!

Now the hardest part was keeping my confidence up. 50 applications a day meant I got rejected up to 50 times per day. Emotionally, it was quite draining to think so many people believed I was worthless. But my wife has stayed very supportive and has done so much to keep my spirits up. I also spent every day before applying for work perusing through things that made me laugh or watching/doing things that made me feel strong. Then I'd take that energy and apply, apply, apply. Then I'd follow up, follow up follow up. Then I'd go over my resume again, rehearse my buzz words, go over my last interview in my head and try to remember what I said that got a positive response and what I said that dried up the interview. And I didn't stop looking for work just because I got a second interview. I'm still not going to stop looking for work until I start my first day.

The last four years have been so hard for my family and me. We've struggled so much since our small business failed and my wife and son have never blamed me for our struggles or shown anything other than love or solidarity, even when we lost our home, our cars, all our money and nearly all our friends. Now is my chance to make it up to them for all they've suffered since we closed our doors. Finally, I have a good paying job with a salary… and bonuses… and health benefits.

My time has come at last!

Douglas
2014-02-15, 04:27 AM
Emotionally, it was quite draining to think so many people believed I was worthless.
That may be what it seems like from your end, but really that's only because your perspective is so thoroughly centered on you. From their end, you're a faceless statistic that just didn't grab their attention well enough in the 5 seconds they allotted you.

In any case, perseverance pays off!

EmeraldRose
2014-02-15, 11:04 AM
Yay! We all won an internet!

*cashes in*

*receives one LOLCat and a George Takei pun*

:smallsigh::smalltongue:

inexorabletruth
2014-02-15, 01:56 PM
That may be what it seems like from your end, but really that's only because your perspective is so thoroughly centered on you. From their end, you're a faceless statistic that just didn't grab their attention well enough in the 5 seconds they allotted you.

In any case, perseverance pays off!

I agree 100% :smallsmile:

My self-confidence took a pounding when my business failed, though. I went from being on top of the world to literally begging for work. I actually got the job I'm at now (at a transient apartment/hotel) by offering to work for free if they just gave us an apartment to live in. I was working odd cash jobs at the time, but it never paid for more than enough to get some food for my wife and son. I limited myself to one snack a day (no meals) so they could eat. The place I work for now couldn't let me work for free, but they rushed my paperwork and got me hired as quickly as possible, all while giving me a place to stay rent free. I've been with the company since 2011 and I've been grateful for all they've done so far. But… the neighborhood is a slum: prostitutes roaming the alleys at night, exposed needles in the parking lot and shrubbery, frequent raids by drug and gang units and of course the semi-frequent murder, attempted murder, or suicide. I couldn't let my son grow up here. And, while that gave me the courage to try to find work, it didn't give me the confidence to believe I could rise above this.

I think this forum deserves to know that you helped me remember how to fight for what was important again. And you taught me new tricks on how to rise above in a digital world. The last time I had to look for work, it was all done in person or by phone. It never even occurred to me to apply online. :smallredface: The advice I received here has changed my life. I just got the call before posting this, stating when exactly I start. I can now put in my two-weeks notice here and start planning for the move. My wife and I have so much work to do and all of it is exciting.

Thanks again, everyone!

Mauve Shirt
2014-02-15, 02:00 PM
Yay! We all won an internet!

*cashes in*

*receives one LOLCat and a George Takei pun*

:smallsigh::smalltongue:

Hey, that George Takei pun will be worth good money if he ever kicks the bucket, and LOLCats are fairly timeless.
I got a collection of doges and a fedora. :smallyuk:

Congratulations inexorabletruth!!!!! :smallbiggrin:

EmeraldRose
2014-02-15, 02:08 PM
Hey, that George Takei pun will be worth good money if he ever kicks the bucket, and LOLCats are fairly timeless.
I got a collection of doges and a fedora. :smallyuk:

Congratulations inexorabletruth!!!!! :smallbiggrin:
True. I will hold onto the pun, and we will see what happens...

I wonder what everyone else got?

I agree 100% :smallsmile:

My self-confidence took a pounding when my business failed, though. I went from being on top of the world to literally begging for work. I actually got the job I'm at now (at a transient apartment/hotel) by offering to work for free if they just gave us an apartment to live in. I was working odd cash jobs at the time, but it never paid for more than enough to get some food for my wife and son. I limited myself to one snack a day (no meals) so they could eat. The place I work for now couldn't let me work for free, but they rushed my paperwork and got me hired as quickly as possible, all while giving me a place to stay rent free. I've been with the company since 2011 and I've been grateful for all they've done so far. But… the neighborhood is a slum: prostitutes roaming the alleys at night, exposed needles in the parking lot and shrubbery, frequent raids by drug and gang units and of course the semi-frequent murder, attempted murder, or suicide. I couldn't let my son grow up here. And, while that gave me the courage to try to find work, it didn't give me the confidence to believe I could rise above this.

I think this forum deserves to know that you helped me remember how to fight for what was important again. And you taught me new tricks on how to rise above in a digital world. The last time I had to look for work, it was all done in person or by phone. It never even occurred to me to apply online. :smallredface: The advice I received here has changed my life. I just got the call before posting this, stating when exactly I start. I can now put in my two-weeks notice here and start planning for the move. My wife and I have so much work to do and all of it is exciting.

Thanks again, everyone!
For many of us, this Playground isn't just a place to go and goof off and talk about our favorite comic. (Well, clearly it is for some, and for most at some time.) The reason I am here is simple, the friends I have met over the years are true friends. Even the ones I have never met in person, and probably won't. They are no less my friends because of distance or language. Andre and I have been through some incredibly, horribly difficult times. And the Playground has always been here for us.

I will always be here to reach out to others who find themselves in need of support.

Flippant, goofy, internetz related response aside- I am very happy for you and your family. Congratulations!

Douglas
2014-02-15, 02:29 PM
I think this forum deserves to know that you helped me remember how to fight for what was important again. And you taught me new tricks on how to rise above in a digital world. The last time I had to look for work, it was all done in person or by phone. It never even occurred to me to apply online. :smallredface:
In case you missed this trick the first time around: If you ever get curious in the future about whether you're getting market rate for your skills, glassdoor.com (http://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm) will get you a quick anonymous answer from a neutral source. Much easier than doing a full job search just to see how much you get offered, and works without violating social taboos on discussing salary or risking coworker envy (in either direction).

The advice I received here has changed my life. I just got the call before posting this, stating when exactly I start. I can now put in my two-weeks notice here and start planning for the move. My wife and I have so much work to do and all of it is exciting.

Thanks again, everyone!
Excellent! My paranoid side is still saying "did you get that in writing and signed?", but I think that's far less likely to be relevant for the job offer itself than for any details of job perks and responsibilities.